SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 September 2018, 17:00

7mm VAR

Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I am considering a move from Grendel, as it will allow a greater range of projectile choice for hunting; other than two legged vermin.

https://www.7mmvalkyrie.com/performance.html
Old 19 September 2018, 05:11
Make a desert and call it peace.

Looks interesting, but I'm too worn out with all the other new tech (22 Nosler, 224 Valkyrie, 6mm/6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 PRC, etc)to do any investment.

I'm still trying to get my 6.8 and 300 BLK crap sorted out to it's best ability. IME, which has been rather costly over the years, it's really best to absolutely maximize what you, the shooter, can do with your current setup before you commit to whatever the current state of the art hardware is. This applies to NRA hipower, Palma, 1000yd prone, F-class, whatever. I'm going to assume it largely applies to CQB and other "Hulk Smash!" knuckle dragger stuff too S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 19 September 2018, 19:48

LOL; I was hoping for something like .458 brass necked down to 7mm, as I am willing to exchange volume of fire for power. Goal being a cartridge of .458 size case, with range capability out to 800 yards on two legged vermin, elk at 200 yards and under; this cartridge looks like a winner, as .458 brass uses pistol primers that can’t handle the pressures necessary to achieve the performance I am looking for. I will hike/stalk with 10.5” .458 and take the mountain sheep with the 7mm upper in the ski slots on my pack. I will leave the 10mm for concealment with the wife in National Parks.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:38
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I am considering a move from Grendel, as it will allow a greater range of projectile choice for hunting; other than two legged vermin.

https://www.7mmvalkyrie.com/performance.html
Looking over that data, I like the performance from the longer barrels. Like mentioned already, all these new calibers are tiring. I like the compactness of the cartridge.

On the new caliber thing, what's old, becomes new again.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon

Our new posting rules