SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 6 October 2018, 18:05
Confirmed User

Weapons ownership, for your daughters...

Most of us were either brought up with weapons, or learned via some formal training via LEO, Military.
But, when it comes to your daughters, at what age did you feel comfortable for her to own her own weapon? I am focused more on daughters due to having two. Sons typically show a much stronger want/need of weapons early in life.
My youngest is 18, great student in HS, swim team and college now. She is a student pilot, did this all on her won. Very much a self starter.
Legally she can buy here in SC. She does have a little 22LR pistol she calls hers, but it stays in the safe unless we go to the range.
I have been shooting paper and metal targets with her for about 4 years. She is pretty good, very conscious of where the barrel is pointing and keeping finger off of trigger prior to shooting. Basic stuff.
Sorry to ramble, but would you wait for her to just ask for me to purchase a gun with her, and go from there, or sit her down and talk about self defense and carrying a weapon in her car, at a minimum?
Old 6 October 2018, 18:23
The Sagacious One

I bought my oldest and youngest .22 LR rifles at about 8-10. Middle child is 31 and just now seeing the value. The youngest one shoots with me often as she lives nearby, the other two are in NOLA. On her 21st Birthday, I gave the youngest $700 and coached her on how to bargain with the most vaunted grouch gun store clerk. I have been buying there for 15 years and the old fucker gave her a better deal on a Gen 4 G26 that already had TFX Pro sights. $425, She bought a case of ammo and a safe for her car with the rest. Good choices all around. We have constitutional carry here so she doesn't need a permit, but she keeps it in her car, then into the house once home. She even got pulled over and told the officer she as armed. He said, OK thanks for letting me know, now about the expired tag.........

I always tell guys to let the women in their life buy their own firearms. You don't buy their shoes, you shouldn't buy their pistola. Maybe make a suggestion that you go gun shopping, give her a budget (Mine would have flocked to the Wilson Combat case)

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 7 October 2018 at 00:44.
Old 6 October 2018, 18:26
Confirmed User

Good advice. Thanks..
Old 6 October 2018, 18:37
Been There Done That

Yep, one that she likes/picks out and is comfortable with.
Old 6 October 2018, 22:11
Been There Done That

I started mine with airsofts and paper plates around 8. Going over handling, safety aiming. Moved to pump up target pellet pistol, still with paper plates or cardboard boxes. Moved up to 22 rifle open sights then scope. Changed over to 22, 32 short revolver that my mom owned. I let her start shooting my 9 and 40 when she was around 13 because she was spending a lot of time with mother in the country at the farm. At 18 she chose a small S&W M&P because it fit her hand and she was comfortable shooting it.
The reason I started with the Airsoft was it had a visible damage but if she did make a mistake it was not to disastrous. I also made her break it down and clean it/them where she would get into the habit of doing it after she shot.
Every situation is different. We have a farm she could shot at, she is very athletic and very attentive. Now, my wife's son was a few years later in age because of attentiveness and freaking video games.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 7 October 2018, 00:45
The Sagacious One

We did the pellet gun thing for 4H. Another thing was, I didn't let her shoot a human shaped target until she was 18.
Old 7 October 2018, 17:56
Been There Done That

I bought my Daughter a hamerless S&W when she graduated high school as her graduation present (had it inscribed with "Love Dad" and she's 22 now). Got her a gun belt, holster, and speed loaders. It's still in my gun safe for now.

I know that there are significant disadvantages with such a short sight radius and heavy trigger pull, but I went for simplicity. She's been coming out to shoot with me for YEARS and knows the Four Rules by memory (I make her recite them every time we go out). I have her carry it every time we go out shooting.

She's finally out on her own and out from under her Mom's roof, so I'll be sending her home with it the next time she's out.
Old 7 October 2018, 21:18
Been There Done That

No human shape targets for mine either. That is why I went with paper plates, just a round 6 inch area. I did let her shoot gallon jugs and soda bottles to see what happen when a bullet impacts the target. She has also bow and gun hunted with me or family members since she was a teen. Yes, she has to skin her own deer.
The one thing I noticed about my daughters S&W was it has a hammer safe.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 7 October 2018, 22:09
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
I bought my Daughter a hamerless S&W when she graduated high school as her graduation present (had it inscribed with "Love Dad" and she's 22 now). Got her a gun belt, holster, and speed loaders. It's still in my gun safe for now.

I know that there are significant disadvantages with such a short sight radius and heavy trigger pull, but I went for simplicity. She's been coming out to shoot with me for YEARS and knows the Four Rules by memory (I make her recite them every time we go out). I have her carry it every time we go out shooting.

She's finally out on her own and out from under her Mom's roof, so I'll be sending her home with it the next time she's out.
I have put many a female shooting student into a J or small K frame S&W. Nothing wrong with them at all.
Old 7 October 2018, 23:08
Another pool cleaner

Communicate.

Take this opportunity to not just sit and talk about self defense, but on life in general and how they view things.
Old 8 October 2018, 00:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Yep, one that she likes/picks out and is comfortable with.
Then it would probably be pink camo with long heels.

If I'm reading this right it's for a very smart talented 18 y/o. Good job BTW.

I would take her to a gun shop with a range. See what she is comfortable with. Kel Tec & Ruger make some good and relatively inexpensive hanguns.

8654's advice is great advice. Go over scenarios with her emphasizing how not to put herself in a bad situation. SA is important.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 October 2018, 07:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Communicate.

Take this opportunity to not just sit and talk about self defense, but on life in general and how they view things.
Great advice. She is a self starter, and generally tells us what she plans on doing.
I may need to steer the topic towards self defense.
Old 8 October 2018, 09:12
The Sagacious One

Sun Tzu tells us the best victory is the battle never fought.
Old 8 October 2018, 12:42
I reckon so. . .

Steve40th, forgive the intrusion.

Just a little range reminder (for us all really).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVxc8sbsrfc
Old 8 October 2018, 13:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

Holy Crap. WTF was he thinking...
Old 8 October 2018, 13:11
Authorized Personnel

Two daughters and I never bought either of them a weapon. They could always get Dad to go shoot some tin cans, so there was no need for them to own anything.

I believe that early training is key in many things in life.
Old 8 October 2018, 13:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Holy Crap. WTF was he thinking...
The "likes" he was going to get on FB or Instacrap or whatever other social media app he was going to post to.
Old 8 October 2018, 13:41
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

That looks like Local.
Old 8 October 2018, 14:57
Confirmed User

My 20yo has been hunting and shooting with me since she was 10. She wants to buy her own pistol when she turns 21 but has already claimed my Marlin 1894 as "her" deer rifle. I told her and my son when they move out they can take one rifle and one pistol.
Old 8 October 2018, 16:38
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
That looks like Local.
Local would never do anything that stupid and this guy is far more conservatively dressed.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules