SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 October 2018, 10:21
Been There Done That

The "tactical" lifestyle. My thoughts.

My thoughts for the day, directed at all these civilians involved in the tactical lifestyle.

Tired of all these "tactical" wannabees trying to teach like "no credentials" Hakathorn or Mcgee. ; ) Until one has been "down range" and carried a firearm into harm's way one does not really understand the dynamics or have the credentials.

Don't take lessons or training from anyone who has not carried in harms way in a professional setting. If you want good training find someone with the appropriate military special operations or Law enforcement background. Why I criticize this whole "tactical" lifestyle, gun forum, YouTube movement. Firearms are a tool, not a hobby or social event. If one wants to instruct, then go fight first - do for real. All these tactical guns guys - well where have you been for the last 17 years? If so into guns, so worried about the Islamic radicals, then why did you not volunteer for the military or LE?

All these so called "experts" out there, with no time in harm's way. Trying to load their resumes with associations and courses, but nothinh of real substance where real risks and commitments were required. Sigh....

So many of these guys want a plethora of firearms, cause it is "tactic-cool" but unless actively carrying, shooting, engaging with hostiles, not really needed. What void is it making up for in one 's life?

And as a individual, better to pursue in spare time faith, art, literature , music, nature, fitness, family, meditation than pursue firearms/violence. Long term that is what matters. That is where fulfillment and friends come from.

You don't want to see war, killing and violence up close and personal. The warrior lifestyle leaves much to be desired and can damage ones soul, and isolates one from the rest of society. I spent and wasted too much of my adult life in violent lifestyle-combat/hostile areas and the effects are now there. Truth be told I don't really like teaching firearms now, but if some are going to carry, they should have good real training from someone who has "been there, done that" to minimize their risk or even getting into any confrontation to begin with. Pursue peace and peaceful pursuits is much better in life.

Get off the gun stuff and gun organizations. Just shoot a few times to maintain proficiency for home defense, CCW or for hunting. Do martial arts, as a lifestyle, for fitness, mobility, spiritual and mental focus. But then spend rest of free time with faith, nature, travel, literature, starting a family. Proper balance. That is where the rewards and meaning of life is.

Take this all into thoughtful consideration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 8 October 2018 at 10:34.
Old 8 October 2018, 11:19
Bitter old man.

I feel the same way and ask the same question.

I get sick of getting asked "Greg,what's it like to be shot at?" I usually grab the shovel out of my truck and offer to dig a fighting hole and then shoot at them. So they can experience it first hand. No takers, I even offer to stay in the hole with them and let others take a shot.

Last edited by GPC; 8 October 2018 at 11:31.
Old 8 October 2018, 11:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I usually grab the shovel out of my truck and offer to dig a fighting hole and then shoot at them. So they can experience it first hand. No takers, I even offer to stay in the hole with them and let others take a shot.
I feel like this should be required training for people who want to carry a firearm professionally...
Old 8 October 2018, 11:38
Unemployed Stunt Double

Counterpoint...also for thoughtful consideration.

I won't accept being told how to spend my money or my time. I won't tell others how to live their lives or spend their time/money.

If people want to buy weapons and "tactical equipment," they should. If people want to live the "tactical" lifestyle, good for them. If they want to start businesses focusing on the tactical lifestyle, they can do so.

As for "tactical" trainers that have no combat experience, caveat emptor.
Old 8 October 2018, 12:21
Administrator

I can see both sides. It can get annoying, but you also have to remember that when it comes to firearms most improvements to guns, ammunition, optics, and sometimes even tactics, originate from the civilian side, especially from the competitive shooting community.

I get far less annoyed about it the older I get. I guess I just look at it more along the lines of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" these days. It's also fun to show up on the range NOT looking tacticool and shooting next to them. They get put in their place without saying a word.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 8 October 2018, 12:26
BTDT

Does this apply to those that seek solace in martial arts/violence? Couldn't someone that does not have the same values as yours see people that do martial arts as "people that just want to get in a fight"?

I agree with parts of your post. Thank you for telling me what to value.
Old 8 October 2018, 12:50
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
.... S N I P .... It's also fun to show up on the range NOT looking tacticool and shooting next to them. They get put in their place without saying a word.

Always fun & entertaining: banging off an acceptable group rapid fire offhand with irons from an AR pistol that is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than that of the excessively cammo-clad Delta wannabe who's wearing an empty plate carrier that's full of mollie pouches (more admin than ammo-carrying) and moto patches, who's slowfire shooting a sandbagged stainless 26" bull barrel AR with a scope the size of the one up on the summit of Mt. Polomar.

Always entertaining.

I agree on the bit about taking training from non-deployers: Caveat Emptor

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 October 2018, 13:25
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

As for "tactical" trainers that have no combat experience, caveat emptor.
One of the few things I do advise someone taking a class to look out for. Been enough folks downrange to teach what works not just theory.

I'm breaking out my Infidel hat.
Old 8 October 2018, 14:14
Fan ar an gcosán

I've worked shootings, but never been shot at. I'm 100% with that and for sure defer to those that have. I saw so many tacticool people in EMS, especially after they completed the TCCC or TECC courses even though we'd remind them they are not tactical medics now. The biggest bonehead tactical thing I saw on the street in EMS were medics who whore fixed blade knives on their waist or back for "protection". America.
Old 8 October 2018, 14:21
Confirmed User

Makes allot of sense..
My personal military training is very very little, as I was a Submariner. Basic quals.
I do feel the training you get should be a minimum of what you are shooting for. IE self defense, security details, or whatever.
Just be safe and avoid confrontation at all costs.
Old 8 October 2018, 15:13
Authorized Personnel

Our church had an open shoot at a recent men's retreat. I was shanghaied into being one of the safety officers. A young man (late 20s) had a fancy M4 that had to have cost at least $2,500, especially as he had every doodad possible hanging off it. He also had multicam EVERYTHING; hat, jacket, pants, belt, etc. I assumed he was on the job, but when I asked it turned out he had bought all of it on his own dime. Also, he wasn't a very good shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I get far less annoyed about it the older I get.
This holds true for a lot of things. The older I get, the more it takes me to get worked up about stuff.
Old 8 October 2018, 15:52
Shakin' the bush Boss

I see it a lot shooting IDPA. My "tactical" rig is a Duluth trading company fire hose vest full of mags, loose ammo in the pockets and a bone stock G17. It's fun being the anti-tactical in a tacti-cool world.
Old 8 October 2018, 16:57
Administrator

It doesn't bother me because when I'm training, I'm focused on what I plan to accomplish.

Maybe we should worry less about how other people spend their money or use their time?
Old 8 October 2018, 17:03
Navigating

If making sure I’m proficient enough to ensure my family’s safety and the public’s safety is living the a “tactical” life-style, I suppose I’m guilty. But I generally try to not wear obnoxious “I’m a vet/I love to shoot guns” clothing. I will support good company’s names that help me accomplish the above by buying their products and a t-shirt. I don’t have CIB plates or stickers on my gun safe of every “tactical” item I’ve ever bought, though, if someone feels the need to spend their money on that, by all means. Their money spending habits certainly arent any of my business.

I am a huge fan of Duluth Trading. Their firehose pants have saved my “probably too tired to be working with a chainsaw” ass twice. Generally, to each his own.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 8 October 2018, 17:08
Administrator

....and without the knuckleheads who buy all this stuff, where would you find resupply points locally.
Old 8 October 2018, 17:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
....and without the knuckleheads who buy all this stuff, where would you find resupply points locally.
Now that's funny.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 8 October 2018, 17:15
exquisitus asinus

I would also add that there are a number of "tactical" trainers out there that have been shot at and/or in combat that are idiots and/or serious liabilities to their student groups.. (a couple of which have been talked about here ad nauseam..)

For me its a "caveat emptor" deal..

I know some guys that have never spent a moment of their lives on the two way range that have a few things to offer that might be of value..

But I also know some guys that spent quite a bit of time either kicking in doors or out on the streets of Baghdad/Kabul/wherever that I wouldnt give two nickels to in exchange for their "training"..
Old 8 October 2018, 17:27
BTDT

Me, I prefer my training in Russian Shovels...

There is value in non-combat pistolero's providing training, Rob Leatham training "folks" come to mind, so long as both of you keep in mind what it is he is training you on.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 8 October 2018, 17:28
Administrator

Quote:
Me, I prefer my training in Russian Shovels...
I knew it!
Old 8 October 2018, 18:14
Another pool cleaner

I love capitalism.

There's gold in thar hills.

Our new posting rules