SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 October 2018, 19:13
The Sagacious One

This reads more like a commercial than philosophy on life . The world is a violent place. People who can fight are necessary. I dislike the term shooters and prefer fighters. I agree fighters need to be able to throw hands as well as take well placed shots, throw an arm bar and a 400 meter shot. Know when to retreat and when to fight. We fault guys like Tim Kennedy for Pimping their Tab. Pat McNamara has a similar program called the Sentinel and he abides by this same philosophy. No one in the world is ever going to get nicer and I would like to think that even if an honorable man owns tacticool shit, that at a minimum, he can be trained in a time of need.

I also think there is need for balance, learning, being kind to one another. Everything we do and say can be reverted back to a quest for that balance. Enjoying that peace and understanding the impact of violence is necessary in life. Each individual psyche needs to determine how much peace and how much violence they input into their lives so they can prepare to live in every spectrum of life. Like the old saying......

I have seen my Brothers without this balance who could not stay home and could not stop killing the hun. When they finally have a meaningful experience on the kind side of life. (Typically the birth of their first grandchild) They finally realize the meaning of that balance and somehow it returns and they can live a much more normal life. Finally knowing that life is so much better being kind, but, that they have the skill and the will to inflict violence in an effective and merciless manner.

So maybe you need to set your balance. But like my Replacement Andy said, its not for you to tell me where my balance is and how I should define it, nor I you. But as my Brother, I have to always be there to help you in your quest, regardless of which side you seek to add more weight.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 8 October 2018 at 19:19.
Old 8 October 2018, 20:27
Authorized Personnel

Excellent post and point, TFG.

I’ve said for a while that life is a balance and a sliding scale. Sometimes one aspect will get more attention or weight than the other- it’s our job to restore that balance to whatever set point is right for us.
Old 8 October 2018, 23:06
Confirmed User

Although the tacti-cool world is kind of ridiculous not all firearms instructors have to be professional gunfighters to be good instructors. One of the outstanding instructors for the handgun is Gordon Carrell. He doesn't try to teach gunfighting, but he makes you a much better shooter. I'd go to Robert Vogel or Taran Butler any day to improve my shooting. They are amazing. I would not be surprised if they are brought in to teach at high-level military counter-terrorism units and hostage rescue teams. https://youtu.be/bO7viGczkXU

Last edited by Gunk; 8 October 2018 at 23:15.
Old 8 October 2018, 23:44
Been There Done That

I personally love when people post pictures of their *insert SOF unit* clone rifles that they spent a shit ton of money on, and I tell them that there is a job that will provide them with that stuff for free, rather than just havin their stupid “clone”. You can imagine the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
I've worked shootings, but never been shot at. I'm 100% with that and for sure defer to those that have. I saw so many tacticool people in EMS, especially after they completed the TCCC or TECC courses even though we'd remind them they are not tactical medics now. The biggest bonehead tactical thing I saw on the street in EMS were medics who whore fixed blade knives on their waist or back for "protection". America.
What’s wrong with that?
Old 9 October 2018, 01:06
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
What’s wrong with that?
They should have had a sword?
Old 9 October 2018, 09:19
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
What’s wrong with that?
That's what they say when we ask why in the world they'r wearing a fighting knife that's completely exposed and that they are most certainly not trained in retaining or using. It's a great place for the patient to hug them, grab knife, remove kidney, repeat.
Monkey business all around.
Old 9 October 2018, 11:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
That's what they say when we ask why in the world they'r wearing a fighting knife that's completely exposed and that they are most certainly not trained in retaining or using. It's a great place for the patient to hug them, grab knife, remove kidney, repeat.
Monkey business all around.
Obviously you know these people, and I don’t, But around here, I’ve had friends who have had guns pulled on them on calls, there are ambulances with bullet holes in them, and I’ve been in houses and had huge fights break out. So if carrying a gun is against company/department policy, I don’t really see a problem with someone carrying a knife for protection if that is what they are able to do. That being said, my opinion of some of our local EMS is very poor, and when they mention TCCC courses, or anything “tactical” I can’t help but laugh. Some of these guys think they are some super operator, but can barely get in and out of the ambulance.
Old 9 October 2018, 11:43
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Some of these guys think they are some super operator, but can barely get in and out of the ambulance.
You're not kidding. Non-Fire based EMS as an industry needs to up the standard on health and fitness. A practical physical performance based screening test versus a resistance machine would be a great start.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:03
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post

There is value in non-combat pistolero's providing training, Rob Leatham training "folks" come to mind, so long as both of you keep in mind what it is he is training you on.
Yup. Everybody was going to John Shaw/Mid-South back in the 80's.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:09
BTDT

Quote:

What’s wrong with that?
Maybe it's the EMT/patient proximity angle? But yeah - everyone in the 75th had that stupid M9 Bayonet on the LCE
Old 12 October 2018, 08:52

Tacti-cool

I thought I knew all about that stuff, heare and seen it all. This is what it really is all about:

Oldie, but goodie

Everybody should feel completely safe with him on the job.

Noah W
Old 12 October 2018, 09:11
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Yup. Everybody was going to John Shaw/Mid-South back in the 80's.
I attended training at Mid South twice in the mid to late 90's..

It was exceptionally good training.. on par or better than most of what I got from the US Army, FBI, TN/AR POST, and a host of other agencies and private schools that I took firearms and "tactical" training from..

Prior to becoming the range master and lead instructor at Mid South, Ross was a general handyman / construction dude I believe.. he was definitely neither a cop or a soldier at any point in his career.. never spent so much as a millisecond in a lethal engagement in his life...

John Shaw (founder/owner) was also neither a cop or a soldier at any point in his career.. he was basically a college kid with a wealthy dad that paid for a ton of ammo.. Shaw taught himself to shoot and went on to win a shit load of world shooting titles.. and then founded Mid South..
Old 12 October 2018, 09:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Maybe it's the EMT/patient proximity angle? But yeah - everyone in the 75th had that stupid M9 Bayonet on the LCE
It’s not like it was a choice.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 12 October 2018, 12:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
...everyone in the 75th had that stupid M9 Bayonet on the LCE
When I was in 2/75, we only had the bayonet for ceremonial nonsense...always good for hijinks once the command of "Fix...bayonets" is issued, and a significant number of hooahs fumble their bayonets on the parade field.

As to trainers, there is nothing wrong with learning from a good trainer, and lots of ground combat experience doesn't make someone a good trainer. As I wrote before, caveat emptor. If folks want to spend their money learning from someone who pads their resume with false claims, that's on the consumer. If the interwebs reveal someone is advertising their instruction based on false claims of combat experience, SOCNET (and other entities) will jump on that, to help consumers make informed decisions.
Old 12 October 2018, 18:05
Been There Done That

Mid 90s, bayonet wasn’t optional, at least in Lane’s World. And he’d wait til Jul-Aug to spend hours on Peden Field leading bayonet drill PT.

It was a lot of fun.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 12 October 2018, 18:22
Another pool cleaner

Anti-bayonites.
Old 12 October 2018, 18:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Mid 90s, bayonet wasn’t optional, at least in Lane’s World. And he’d wait til Jul-Aug to spend hours on Peden Field leading bayonet drill PT.

It was a lot of fun.

Whirl....

What's the spirit of the bayonet? Kill, kill, kill.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 October 2018, 18:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Whirl....

What's the spirit of the bayonet? Kill, kill, kill.
Also keeps the grass growing green.
Old 12 October 2018, 21:22
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Werka View Post
I thought I knew all about that stuff, heare and seen it all. This is what it really is all about:

Oldie, but goodie

Everybody should feel completely safe with him on the job.

Noah W

OMG! I literally spewed hot Earl Gray all over my iPad screen when I read this:

Quote:
[am a Master of three martial arts including ninjitsu, which means I can wear the special boots to climb walls.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 12 October 2018, 21:55
Policeman Officer

I have a civilian buddy who has far more run and gun training than the average cop. He's a training junkie and because of his job has been allowed to do a lot of classes that normally aren't open to civilians. Never heard a shot fired in anger unless it was in the hood growing up but his shooting, fighting and medical skills are head and shoulders above your average person who does it for a living. He lives in the ghetto and is a pretty unassuming dude, I'm always amused at the idea of someone from his neighborhood biting off more than they can chew. I've seen a lot of civilian IDPA guys and whatnot who I would certainly listen to if they gave me pointers. I think as long as people remember who they are and what their lane is it's good to keep an open mind.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules