SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 13 October 2018, 09:28
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Mid 90s, bayonet wasn’t optional, at least in Lane’s World. And he’d wait til Jul-Aug to spend hours on Peden Field leading bayonet drill PT.

It was a lot of fun.
Yeah, we (3rd) got them with the A2 in 87 (they may have come as a package) and from what I remember, wasn't optional if you had something it would fit on - it didn't fit on my 60mm tube, or (later) 90mm tube, so I never had one.

The funny thing was (other than it sucking because the tang was pencil thin) the built in wire-cutter was an excuse for Rangers to look around for anything to cut - There wasn't a fence intact at JRTC (1.0 at Ft. Chaffee) when we were done.

Back OT - my point was about external knives - everyone had one, and based on history (I mean WWII and Marine Ka-Bars, come on! ) I think it goes all the way back to the Bronze Age. But the point about EMT's being close to patients seems valid.
Old 13 October 2018, 09:31
Shakin' the bush Boss

You needed one at Chafee to fight off the ticks, chiggers and pteradaktyl skeeters.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:15
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I see it a lot shooting IDPA. My "tactical" rig is a Duluth trading company fire hose vest full of mags, loose ammo in the pockets and a bone stock G17. It's fun being the anti-tactical in a tacti-cool world.
Do you have a scary beard and tattoos?

I use an old LL Bean travel vest in my area it blends in with hikers etc.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:38
Shakin' the bush Boss

I am many things, but physically imposing is not one of them, even if I had a battle beard and lots of jailhouse tats, which I don't.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
If making sure I’m proficient enough to ensure my family’s safety and the public’s safety is living the a “tactical” life-style, I suppose I’m guilty. But I generally try to not wear obnoxious “I’m a vet/I love to shoot guns” clothing. I will support good company’s names that help me accomplish the above by buying their products and a t-shirt. I don’t have CIB plates or stickers on my gun safe of every “tactical” item I’ve ever bought, though, if someone feels the need to spend their money on that, by all means. Their money spending habits certainly arent any of my business.

I am a huge fan of Duluth Trading. Their firehose pants have saved my “probably too tired to be working with a chainsaw” ass twice. Generally, to each his own.
^^^^
This

Hard wearing stuff but a bit pricy unless on clearance
Old 15 October 2018, 11:19
Time is a flat circle

Jerry Miculek comes to mind...

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 15 October 2018, 12:11
Deplorable

First - Mindset. Once the mindset is right, then practical will follow suit. Once the mindset and practical are sorted, everything else is just a factor in a bloodless drill, once the basics are mastered, then the battle will merely be bloody training ... regardless of any gadgetry or gear absences or additions.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 15 October 2018, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Jerry Miculek comes to mind...
Hahahahaha I'm literally sitting next to a guy right now who was auditioning to be on Top Shot and had dinner with Miculek (and the other auditioners). Said the guy was a huge asshole apparently.
Old 15 October 2018, 19:18
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Hahahahaha I'm literally sitting next to a guy right now who was auditioning to be on Top Shot and had dinner with Miculek (and the other auditioners). Said the guy was a huge asshole apparently.
That's not the first time I've heard that about Jerry, and I'm confident it won't be the last.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 15 October 2018, 20:41
exquisitus asinus

An asshole he may well be...

But there is no denying that asshole can shoot better than most, if not all of us on this board... and that most of us could learn a thing or two from him if he were willing to teach and we were willing to learn...
Old 15 October 2018, 21:47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
So one guy told you this and you felt it was worthy of posting?

Maybe that dude was the asshole?

Miculek can be prickly and he tolerates fools less each year, but he can shoot.
Old 15 October 2018, 22:04

You're right it was a thread topic departure. Apologies. Just was surprised as him and I were talking about Miculek a few hours ago and lo an behold he's being mentioned here too. Not worthy of a post on here, just thought it was odd because Jerry seems like such a likeable guy in the videos I've seen.

That being said, I'm sure there's more than a dozen things I could learn from him regarding firearms marksmanship.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:42
Bitter old man.

I like the discussions on tactical pens you see on other sites lol. After working corrections, I have full confidence in a plain old Bic pen. Inmates would call my Cross pen a Ka-Bar lol.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:37
Confirmed User

It seems that Recoil Magazine is the epicenter of this marketing craze.

I shoot quite a few IDPA matches and normally wear jeans and a Duluth trading canvas sports coat. It hides everything nicely and I often wear it on the street. So many shooters have special pants, special shirts, special shoes to give themselves that paramilitary commando look. To me, it just looks silly.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post

I shoot quite a few IDPA matches and normally wear jeans and a Duluth trading canvas sports coat. It hides everything nicely and I often wear it on the street. So many shooters have special pants, special shirts, special shoes to give themselves that paramilitary commando look. To me, it just looks silly.
I love mine- had it for about 13 years now and it just gets more comfortable every year.

I use it when I travel (if its not too hot) and put everything in it and just toss it on the belt at the TSA shakedown...
Old 21 October 2018, 06:51
Navigating

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Also keeps the grass growing green.
Well played..

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 21 October 2018, 08:08
Administrator

Quote:

Not much different than the civil war reenactment folks IMO.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:20
Bitter old man.

Read a blog post by Dave Rhoden. He's in all the gun rags etc. He stated his biggest regret was not enlisting or being a first responder. I shook my head. What's stopping you from signing up or being a volunteer deputy etc?
Old 24 October 2018, 12:45
Been There Done That

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Not much different than the civil war reenactment folks IMO.
Or airsoft kids
Old 24 October 2018, 13:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I love mine- had it for about 13 years now and it just gets more comfortable every year.
Can you link me to that product? They have several...which is yours?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules