SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 October 2018, 01:20
Confirmed User

.30-30 Winchester for the larger game

Ok, has anybody taken elk, moose or maybe even a very large black bear with the .30-30? Some say it's not enough and others say it will do the job. Let's say about 100 yards maximum range. Any comments?
Old 28 October 2018, 01:53
Anesthetized User

Not me, but I just picked up a rifle in 375WIN. Elk, Moose, Bear, Deer, Pig etc.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 28 October 2018, 02:07
Isiah 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
Ok, has anybody taken elk, moose or maybe even a very large black bear with the .30-30? Some say it's not enough and others say it will do the job. Let's say about 100 yards maximum range. Any comments?
Grew up hunting elk with a 30-30 Winchester and archery hunting. My experience is that is plenty rifle. Great rifle for heavy brush and forest hunting in closer range

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

ďA little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.Ē -Francis Bacon
Old 28 October 2018, 02:38
Been There Done That

Black bears, as long as they're not 500 lbs should be no problem. Honestly a lot of it is in the right bullet selection. Nosler partitions, Barnes and Hornady Lever Revolutions have some good offerings.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 28 October 2018, 07:32
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Honestly a lot of it is in the right bullet selection.
Yup. If you have to buy the ammo off the shelf at the local hardware store look for the Remington "Express" 170gr Core-Lokt.

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 28 October 2018, 11:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

If I was of a mind to hunt elk, moose, or black bear with a 30-30, Buffalo Bore's 190 gr JFN would be my choice. As bob and 1RiserSlip indicated, 30-30 ammo choices these days include decent big game rounds. To dovetail with Xenon, a lot of big game has fallen to 30-30 in North America, almost certainly more than any other caliber.
Old 28 October 2018, 12:51
Old Scroll

Read somewhere once that the .22LR has killed more deer than anything, but that might be questionable these days. Maybe 40 years ago...

Gotta agree with gavin that the 30-30 has likely put more meat on the table than any other round in America.

My opinion is that with a modern gun with modern hunting bullets and a good load, coupled with good placement, should be GTG for anything in the continent, but I'd be careful with the really big stuff. I would be hesitant to go after Kodiaks, for example, without a guide / buddy behind me with a howitzer ready in hand. That lever gun might seem awfully puny in a few select situations

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 28 October 2018, 19:04
Deplorable

I'd be comfortable hunting any grass or meat-eater in the Lower-48 w/a 30-30.

Study animal anatomy, exterior and terminal ballistics of any chosen cartridge and it's projectile, then practice shooting well under pressure.

Shot placement and penetration are the 2 primary factors, [in that order] that defines 'stopping power.'
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 28 October 2018, 19:51
Been There Done That

Love my 30-30, and Hornady Leverultion ammo is pretty good as are Winchester silver tips.

Kind of funny how 100 years ago the 30-30 was touted as the Big game rifle- but now some dismiss it. Game has not gotten tougher in 100 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 October 2018, 19:56
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
If I was of a mind to hunt elk, moose, or black bear with a 30-30, Buffalo Bore's 190 gr JFN would be my choice.
The 303 Savage was basically Savage's answer to the 30-30 Win. and standard loading was 190 bullets. Very popular in Eastern Canada for moose, bear, caribou, etc. I used to reload 303s for the guys that would come over from New Brunswick.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 28 October 2018, 20:01
Been There Done That

Love the old vintage ads......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1820.jpg (22.5 KB, 198 views)

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 28 October 2018, 20:54
Been There Done That

I bought my son a Winchester 94 last year for his birthday. It was some kind of centennial or special edition I found used. Didn't have a scratch on it. I told him it better never, ever, fucking ever end up in a pawn shop. He killed a buck with it outta my stand. I went to his house one day and didn't notice it. He said "well, I didn't pawn it. I sold it".

I came very close to kicking his ass again but didn't. His birthday was 2 days ago.

Know what he got this year? Diddly squat. I swear some of these millennials have no sentimental value at all. Plus, he lost his hunting privileges at my property.

I have had some of the cleanest kills on deer with a 30/30 as any other rifle. I laugh at the guys who I see with 300 Ultra Mags in the woods. Unless you're shooting a half mile there is absolutely no need for magnum caliber rifles. I use a .308, it has long been my favorite rifle to deer hunt with. There's just a nostalgia about old lever guns that I love. A Marlin 45/70 Scout is on my short list of new purchases.

Agree though that the 30/30 has put more venison on the table than any other rifle.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 28 October 2018 at 20:59. Reason: ETA
Old 28 October 2018, 22:15
Confirmed User

Ouch 1RiserSlip! I have had the bank account get low before, but never to the point of selling guns.

I have to agree on the ultramag. I packed one for years and yes it would flatback anything I touched the trigger on, but it was over kill, a pain to get ammo for if I didn't reload, and barrel life was horrendous. Switched back to a .270 and really have no complaints. Besides it worked fine for Jack O'Connor. Next rifle I buy will most likely be one of those older Marlin Guide Guns in 45/70.

One of my fondness memories is getting to go with my Dad at around 8 years old and sitting all day in the snow with his 30/30, even if we didn't see a thing.
Old 29 October 2018, 03:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I bought my son a Winchester 94 last year for his birthday. It was some kind of centennial or special edition I found used. Didn't have a scratch on it. I told him it better never, ever, fucking ever end up in a pawn shop. He killed a buck with it outta my stand. I went to his house one day and didn't notice it. He said "well, I didn't pawn it. I sold it".

I came very close to kicking his ass again but didn't. His birthday was 2 days ago.

Know what he got this year? Diddly squat. I swear some of these millennials have no sentimental value at all. Plus, he lost his hunting privileges at my property.

I have had some of the cleanest kills on deer with a 30/30 as any other rifle. I laugh at the guys who I see with 300 Ultra Mags in the woods. Unless you're shooting a half mile there is absolutely no need for magnum caliber rifles. I use a .308, it has long been my favorite rifle to deer hunt with. There's just a nostalgia about old lever guns that I love. A Marlin 45/70 Scout is on my short list of new purchases.

Agree though that the 30/30 has put more venison on the table than any other rifle.
That sucks.

I have a model 94 my dad got me that I killed my first deer with. Nothing special but my grandkids will be getting it, whenever we get some Itís killed a bunch of deer over the years, Iíd have no problem with it as a moose gun in brushy country with the right load.
Old 29 October 2018, 07:13
Make a desert and call it peace.

30/30 works well because it's velocity doesn't exceed the strength of the conventional cup and core jacketed bullet. It was the first commonly available smokeless powder, "high velocity" rifle cartridge that most Americans encountered, in the lever action rifles they were familiar with. Until the Springfield rifle, the 30-06 and the Great War, it was big horsepower in a compact package.

I'd be comfortable using 30/30 on any non-dangerous game in CONUS, provided the shooter is competent and takes judicious shots with a good bullet. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 31 October 2018, 06:15
Confirmed User

Most of what I read regarding this issue is confusing. Guys feel totally comfortable carrying a .44 mag as "bear medicine" or even the venerable 454 Casull but feel under gunned with a 30-30. Insanity.

The only thing I would change to make myself more comfortable with a 30-30 vs "dangerous" game (ever seen those videos of a deer beating the crap out of someone?) would be to not use factory soft rounds and instead use a hardcast lead meant for penetration. I think if most people treated the 30-30 like a 45-70 and just accepted that you'll need to reload for it, you'd get a LOT more mileage out of it.

Just my $.02 and for what it's worth, I own a 45-70 and most likely won't buy another 30-30. Happy with what I've got.
Old 31 October 2018, 06:57
A lost ball in high weeds

A 30-30 will kill anything that walks in North America. Shot placement is always key with the right bullet. Now if we are talking stopping a big bear charge, that is a completely different conversation.
Old 31 October 2018, 07:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
Most of what I read regarding this issue is confusing. Guys feel totally comfortable carrying a .44 mag as "bear medicine" or even the venerable 454 Casull but feel under gunned with a 30-30. Insanity.
You call it insanity, I call it...a good understanding of ballistic performance. I've written at length about this on SOCNET before. It's all about bullet selection. Flat-nose super-hard cast bullets are best for defensive use against dangerous animals, as they provide deeper penetration. Penetration trumps energy with large, dangerous animals. Most 30-30 loadings will not penetrate deeply enough. A proper 30-30 load will, but that requires either hand-loading or buying more expensive, harder-to-find ammunition (such as the Buffalo Bore loading I posted about ^^^). In fact...I think you draw the same conclusion in your post...so...insanity?
Old 31 October 2018, 09:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
I went to his house one day and didn't notice it. He said "well, I didn't pawn it. I sold it".
Thatís a shame. My dad picked up a lightly used Marlin 336 30/30 from a gun shop in central PA in the early 90s and gave it to me for my birthday. While it doesnít see a whole lot of action these days as I hunt with a 30.06 or TC inline, it gets shot and cleaned a couple times a year and holds down a spot in the safe.
Old 31 October 2018, 12:20
Confirmed User

BLUF: The assumption that incorrect bullets for the task would be used from a 30-30 is what I considered "insanity".

Gavin,
You are correct in that I came to the same conclusion in my post and after reading it again I realize I am not very clear on what I meant by insanity.

I certainly agree that penetration trumps energy (I've read most of your posts on this subject and many others posts as well) and what I meant by insanity was that choosing a handgun (with the proper bullet) makes more sense than a rifle (again, with a proper bullet). Most seem to make the assumption that off the shelf, relatively soft 30-30 loads would be used.

In my limited experience, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to argue that a handgun of any caliber, with the right bullet, would be more effective than a 30-30, with a properly selected bullet.

Our new posting rules