SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 November 2009, 23:55
Make a desert and call it peace.

Good job.

I find it hysterically funny that the wife's reaction when trying to do something sneaky is to loudly scream about the machinegun in the backyard. That's logical.

I used to use the Colt 22LR conversion kits to practice offhand at the local smallbore range in the winter. This was back in the early-90's. Reliability was low and they didn't hold open.

The new dedicated S&W guns are getting good reviews, I may have to try this again.

Marvel makes a great 22 kit for the 1911, I just wish they do something for an AR. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 2 November 2009, 03:31
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I used to have an issue M261 subcal kit, uses 10 round inserts in a regular 20 or 30 rd. mag. In a full length gun (long gas tube) with Lapua subsonics, it sounded about like a pellet gun, no can needed. The bullet is actually slowing down from it's peak velocity by the time it leaves the barrel, and the gas system works as an internal suppressor due to a lot of the relatively small volume of gas produced being vented into the gas tube before the bullet leaves the muzzle. Lapua subs would cycle that particular kit about 2 out of 3, I never wanted to mess with the spring. Sarco sold out of the M261 setup years ago. When I revisit the concept in a while I'll be going with the dedicated uppers we have these days.

+1 on why is the wife yelling about this and calling it a machine gun if she wants you to remain low pro......

Congratulations though. Did you leave his body in the wire as a warning to all his buddies?

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 2 November 2009, 06:43
Rocket Surgeon

http://www.gem-tech.com/OASIS.html

More fun than a Ciener...
Old 2 November 2009, 14:09
Confirmed User

http://www.ombexpress.com/c_15/p_GAD10.aspx

This conversion kit for the ar is going for $150 with a 26rd mag that locks the bolt back on empty. No jams or malfunctions in mine after 2000 rounds and is accurate out to 100 yds.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 2 November 2009, 21:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
This morning at 7 AM my son startled the little bastard on his way up the tree to get on the house and he was "treed" because he ran up the wrong trunk. I grabbed the AR with the sub-cal device installed and went outside and found the wife yelling at me "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? You're outside with a MACHINE GUN! The NEIGHBORS! What's WRONG with you?"

To quell her, I made sure the raccoon wasn't going anywhere and went back in the house, removed the screen from the kitchen window, then laid down on my back on the kitchen floor where I had a clean shot of maybe 50 feet.

Picked him off, he fell and gave two pretty loud screams before dying.

Team Helmet 2, team Raccoon Faggots 0.

Bravo!

Is that 2 hits COM? or 1 in and out and then you went quiet? :)
Old 3 November 2009, 04:00
Confirmed User

You might have better success with a live trap baited with a honey bun. They work around the clock.
Old 6 November 2009, 01:01
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

LOL! great stuff!
Old 6 November 2009, 02:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
You might have better success with a live trap baited with a honey bun. They work around the clock.

Depends on how you define success...
Old 10 November 2009, 16:37
Confirmed User

.22 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Very cool kill.

I have a close friend who uses .22s in M4s for certain training events. I've shot the guns and I have to say I love them. A lot. They are soooooooooooooooo fucking cool.

At the same, I've heard the bad stories about the Ceiner dude. I think it is a shame, since I had "heard" he was the first out with one of these kits -- no? What version did you finally end up buying?

+1 SOTB
They are very cool.
And work great. They are CMMG.

Sigma 1

"He shot once. You sprayed the room. Same result, the target was dead, but you left a lot of brass to pick up." KidA
Old 18 November 2009, 00:10
Administrator

Fuck.

I have another raccoon.

Third one within a year.

This is really starting to piss me off.....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 18 November 2009, 00:17
Authorized Personnel

Just put poison up in there and be done with it.
Old 18 November 2009, 10:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
Just put poison up in there and be done with it.
Everything I have read is that's what NOT to do....poisen makes them thirsty, and they will forage for water in the attic, which means getting lower in the house, which usually ends up being between walls....where they die, rot, and stink.

Internet armchair research, not exepreience, told me that.

If anyone has advice with successfully killing these buggers off, let me know (including piosen).

It's game fucking on now.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 18 November 2009, 11:04
Old Scroll

semiautomatic .22 fire is the only way to be sure....

other than nuking the site from orbit

Go critter hunting. Make a day of it. Put on your green makeup and write an OPORD.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 November 2009, 13:13
I'm kind of a big deal

Just don't use the "loam" color, your Irish ass is pale enough already...

If it were me, I'd rent a bobcat (the feline, not the front-end loader) and leave it up there for a few days. Much better to have one bobcat problem than multiple raccoons.

Scotty
Old 4 December 2010, 03:59
Administrator

Got number three and four tonight. Yes, two of them (one confirmed).

I have been laying in ambush in the backyard each night for four nights now, freezing my ass off with a buddy's Marlin tube-fed 22 with iron sights and a 6-cell Maglight. They will not come out of the eaves and onto the roof because they smelled me, I think.

Tonight I am watching a Star Trek re-run and I hear him (them) making their way to the only point of egress that the others have been using. Go outside, watch, and wait. I see movement. Light clicks on. He's staring right at me. Fire one. Hit. He climbs into the hole and turns around to look at me; I can only see his head. Fire two. I her him thump into the eaves. Pretty sure I nailed his ass with a headshot. I am sending my daughter into the tight spots in the attic eaves tomorrow to find the body (I will provide armed overwatch).

Then I see something move on the roof. No fucking way. TWO! Two of those little fuckers in MY HOUSE. He runs to the other side of the house. Now this has been going on so long I don't care if anyone sees/hears me or the cops come. I am bagging that little faggot. Into the front yard, shine light, target confirmed, fire three. He is hit, I hear him yelp, and he runs to the other side of the house. I run to the other side in pursuit. I see him. Light on, fire four. Hit. He jumps into his tree (point of elevation to the top of the house) squeeling. Light on, target confirmed, fire five. Hit. I see him jerk and wobble in the tree. I am at the base of the tree shooting almost staright up at him....and what does he do? Starts climbing down the tree right at me! I backpedal in the dark, bring the rifle up, and fire a shot off (sixth of the night) at him as he gets to the bottom of the tree and runs away. I think I missed him that time.....not sure. He's bleeding and leaving a blood trail....I have about 30 feet until he hits the hedgerow....but even though I had a 40-foot shot at him, I restrained myself due to lack of being able to confirm what was behind the target. To tell you the truth, I was a bit flabbergasted that he took three rounds, maybe four, and was still moving.

Neighbors lights snap on, but I don't care. I am on a mission that has spanned over a year. I am frothing at the mouth.

He gets away. I am wrestling with not taking that last shot, backblast area be damned.

Then, at 2 AM, I went outside with a handsaw and cut the tree down that would allow him, or any other one, to return to the attic.

I can't wait to see what my daughter says when I send her up there tomorrow morning to find the first body and bag-n-tag it.

Raccoons. Hate them. Fucking hate them.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Old 4 December 2010, 07:35
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb Bro...LMAO!

Quote:
I am sending my daughter into the tight spots in the attic eaves tomorrow to find the body (I will provide armed overwatch).
Quote:
I can't wait to see what my daughter says when I send her up there tomorrow morning to find the first body and bag-n-tag it.
Sending your daughter to hunt for WIA and/or KIA raccoons is some Sharky/rgrjoe/Gryfen-FL upbringing shit!

Have you ever thought about hiring a professional or is that "executive" lifestyle getting boring and you got a wild hair up your ass and decided to go Ranger "flashback" Batt in a mil$ neighborhood?"

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 4 December 2010, 08:40
The Sagacious One

I have the same problem with possums. Raccoons are smart enough to stay away. Possums, not so much. The Weiner dog cornered one last night in the pasture and unfortunately, I had to waste 6 rds of Speer Gold Dot .45 HP on the little bastard. They are in my horse barn ALL the time. I usually kill one a week when I am at home. I rarely see raccoons on my place, probably due to the dogs.

I normally breech the barn door with my surefire and ruger .22 Mark II. Last month, I had a whole family of three and they scurried off faster than I could shoot them. Upgraded to the REM 870 with the surefire light and dove loads.

I hate those nasty SOB's and their little pointy teeth and stinky hairless tail. They carry some sort of Equine popodopolous mucosum virus so I have to keep them in check so they do not pass it along to the horses.

I have a rule on my farm that if you mess with my harmony, you sleep with the fish. Possums mess with my harmony.

DH,

While your tactics seem sound (LOL) what I really cannot believe is that with all the drama these things cause you that you are STILL too cheap to buy your own .22! Send me your FFL info and I will end you one.

Good luck and "Happy Hunting?"
Old 4 December 2010, 10:47
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Then, at 2 AM, I went outside with a handsaw and cut the tree down that would allow him, or any other one, to return to the attic.
I am left wondering why it took you a year to figure out how to control that OCOKA factor before the Shootout at the DH Corral.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 4 December 2010, 11:06
Bravo Six
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
The Colt/Umarex ones are by all accounts crap.
That may be though we've had no problems with the one we have, in fact we've been burning up ammo since Feb. We have two other 22s, standard models, the Rem 597 which is notoriously bad and a 25 year old Ruger 10/22 which is still king.
Old 4 December 2010, 22:48
Wolverines!

I love my Cenier it runs like a champ with the CMMG mags I have for it. They hold the bolt open too. Plus it will run FA if you happen to have that capability. It's good for training with your weapon at a fraction of the price. I bought my Cenier at a gun show, but CDNN investments has a really good deal on the .22 conversion kits right now.

Our new posting rules