SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 10 December 2010, 00:30
Confirmed User

Has anyone here tried a Stag Arms conversion kit? I know they have only been out for a month or two, but I figured I'd ask anyways because I'm getting one for my left-handed Stag for Christmas.

Is there anything you need to do to care for a conversion kit beyond cleaning it like you would the regular .223 bolt? I saw somewhere that you should run a mag of .223 ammo through your weapon after you are finished using the conversion kit. Is that good advice, or bullshit?

Thanks all.
Old 10 December 2010, 17:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Everything I have read is that's what NOT to do....poisen makes them thirsty, and they will forage for water in the attic, which means getting lower in the house, which usually ends up being between walls....where they die, rot, and stink.

Internet armchair research, not exepreience, told me that.

If anyone has advice with successfully killing these buggers off, let me know (including piosen).

It's game fucking on now.
Drive a 2" x 2" x 6' stake into the ground leaving at least 5' above ground.

Open and empty a sardine can into a disposable bowl. Place aside for now.

Nail/screw empty sandine can to top of pole.

cut up sardines into 3 chunks each; add rat poison to mix, stir, let 'rest' for about 2 hours, then pour into can on top of pole.

Place a bucket of water 10-15 feet away from pole. Raccoon 'wash' their food before eating; expect to find dead raccoon around water bucket.

Skin dead raccoons and sell fur on eBay or to a fly fishing lure mfr....

This worked like a charm for my grandfather...

Win, win, win!!!!!

Old 13 December 2010, 16:40
Authorized Personnel

I've enjoyed reading this thread!
Old 14 December 2010, 10:30
Administrator

Shot number four in the attic last night.

Fed up with stalking him in the backyard, I heard him rustling about and popped up into the attic with a 22 and headshot him from 20 feet trying to hide from me in the insulation. I had hit him twice the week prior, and he had a scar in his stomach and a bloody left forepaw from two of the prior hits.

Nailed him just below the jaw with an exit would out his upper back.

Tough little bastards. Hate them.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 14 December 2010, 11:04
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
You can even use those 20 gr .22s with primer only just fine but they won't cycle the bolt - just have to run it manually.
Those things are called CB caps, and I LOVE them. Propellent will burn up completely in the barrel, making for an incredibly quiet shot...don't even need a suppressor.

While true:
Continue
Old 3 March 2011, 21:17

Quote:
Not to hijack DH's thread - but has anyone played with running a conversion in any of the piston guns?
Thinking bout this here...the 22 conversion kits DO NOT at all use the gas system in any manner what-so-ever. the drop in designs are "Blowback operated".
Old 3 March 2011, 22:56
Wolverines!

Quote:
Not to hijack DH's thread - but has anyone played with running a conversion in any of the piston guns?
I tried my Cenier in a Ruger SR556 and it wouldn't fit with the gas piston system. Just FYI
Old 4 March 2011, 00:39
Administrator

Shot #5 last Monday night (dead and bagged for the trash) and #6 tonight. This is really starting to piss me off. I do not have a body for this one; I hit him center mass and he ran back into the house.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 4 March 2011, 00:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Shot #5 last Monday night (dead and bagged for the trash) and #6 tonight. This is really starting to piss me off. I do not have a body for this one; I hit him center mass and he ran back into the house.
That could be a problem when the weather gets warmer...
Old 4 March 2011, 01:00
Administrator

Quote:
That could be a problem when the weather gets warmer...
Tell me about it. They breed in March-April.

I ditched the AR and am using a Marlin 22. The second-shot reliability with the AR wasn't worth it. I hold a Maglite as a light in my left hand.

Seriously thinking about mounting a Surefire with a low-power scope for this now-recurring mission.

Fuckers. Like I don't have anything better to do than sit in my backyard in the cold for hours on end at night waiting for them to poke a head out.....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Old 4 March 2011, 08:27
Policeman Officer

How are they getting in? Can you seal off all the access points?

Right now some raccoon is saying "So no shit, there I was..."
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 March 2011, 08:50
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Tell me about it. They breed in March-April.

I ditched the AR and am using a Marlin 22. The second-shot reliability with the AR wasn't worth it. I hold a Maglite as a light in my left hand.

Seriously thinking about mounting a Surefire with a low-power scope for this now-recurring mission.

Fuckers. Like I don't have anything better to do than sit in my backyard in the cold for hours on end at night waiting for them to poke a head out.....
Some how you are not convincing me of this. Did you look at the new stock for the Ruger 10/22? Has rails et al and the 10/22 is as about a reliable rimfire as you can buy.
Old 4 March 2011, 09:08
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Those things are called CB caps, and I LOVE them. Propellant will burn up completely in the barrel, making for an incredibly quiet shot...don't even need a suppressor.
Do you think these would kill a raccoon? I had trouble killing cats with them. They do work well on doves though.
Old 4 March 2011, 09:20
#AllLionsMatter

I must resist....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Some how you are not convincing me of this. Did you look at the new stock for the Ruger 10/22? Has rails et al and the 10/22 is as about a reliable rimfire as you can buy.
However, I truly want one.

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 4 March 2011, 09:52
I'm kind of a big deal

Get the 10/22 and turn it into a G36!

http://www.promagindustries.com/Prod...ctCode=AAM1022

Scotty
Old 4 March 2011, 13:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Get the 10/22 and turn it into a G36!

http://www.promagindustries.com/Prod...ctCode=AAM1022

Scotty

That gets a high score for looks!

I went with the "dump as much money into a 10/22 as possible" route...

Yes, the supressor is waiting on the ATF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-22.jpg (39.1 KB, 454 views)
Old 4 March 2011, 13:09
Administrator

Dude......this is easy. It's sort of like the theory of protecting your house from a burglary. You dont have to have Ft Knox for a house, you just have to look like your place is far more trouble than your neighbors place. Burglars go for the easy pickings usually, yes? My advice would be to start infiltrationg the neighbors back yards at night and start throwing sardines in their yard and on their roof. Give the little bastards a better target than your place by providing them with free food at the neighbors house. Pretty soon the neighbors will be asking you to break out the guns to help them out.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 March 2011, 13:16
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Dude......this is easy. It's sort of like the theory of protecting your house from a burglary. You dont have to have Ft Knox for a house, you just have to look like your place is far more trouble than your neighbors place. Burglars go for the easy pickings usually, yes? My advice would be to start infiltrationg the neighbors back yards at night and start throwing sardines in their yard and on their roof. Give the little bastards a better target than your place by providing them with free food at the neighbors house. Pretty soon the neighbors will be asking you to break out the guns to help them out.
Funny.
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 4 March 2011, 13:37
#AllLionsMatter

Red face This is wronger than:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Leaving a "fat" baby next to a donut box!

LMAO!

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 14 June 2011, 16:56
Administrator

Since my last post I have shot and killed at least three more. One I had to stalk in my attic with my daughter next to me holding a flashlight.

I got so sick of all this drama that I hired a dude to come and pull out two of my trees that I am confident were giving the raccoons access to my roof. That was a few months ago. Not a single infiltration since. It worked.

Until last night.

It's 2 AM and right outside the window to our master bedroom there is suddely a VERY loud scratching noise where one of these industrious little fuckers actually scaled up my downspout to get on my roof (see photo). It was so loud I almost shit my pants...running (falling out of bed onto my 200-pound dog that yelped) as I went straight for the home-defense shotgun in the closet. Scared me to death unitl I realized....it's another fucking raccoon.

I grabbed the only flashlight I could find in the ruckus; my daughter's little Barbie camping flashlight that is weak as shit. Went outside, shined up on the roof, and there she was. Raccoon number seven. I bang on the window and tell the wife to grab the 22 and a bigger flashlight and meet me in the backyard, which she does.

Imagine my fat ass in my boxer shorts with a 22 and the wife standing next to me in her pajamas with my SureFire holding it over her head. with her mumbling "you look like a psychopath out here in your underwear with a gun".

"Yeah, darling, you've said that before. Now light his ass up for Daddy."

Click, plink, dead. He rolls to the edge of the roof and dies right on the edge. It's still there. I am leaving it for a couple days so every raccoon in the neighborhood smells his rotting carcass in the sun. Kind of like the Romans when they used to behead their enemies and put their heads on stakes of territories they were trying to control....

Did I mention that I fucking hate raccoons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Downspout.jpg (22.2 KB, 425 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Our new posting rules