SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 4 January 2018, 23:03

PMCs tier structure

Hey everyone, I will begin my first contract at the end of this month. I am starting, at what seems to be the lowest of this industry. The position is an ASG in Kabul for $144/day the first 6 months, and then $154/day the last 6 months- no paid R&R.

With that being said, after leave, it's around $50k gig. I was hoping to get some insight from more experienced contractors on how long it generally takes to move on the tier system within this side of the industry. I'm sure this is an enormously broad question, but I appreciate any feedback.

I'm hoping a lot of guys start where I am at and move up quick after more contracting experience...?
Old 4 January 2018, 23:36
Administrator

$150 a day? Dayum. What contract is that?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 January 2018, 23:53

ASG through Aegis... Is it easier to find contracts after you get the first one? I'm taking it in hopes to get my foot in the door, to either grow through Aegis or another company that presents better opportunities...
Old 5 January 2018, 01:35
Authorized Personnel

Your question comes with a lot of variables. Timing has a lot to do with what gigs you can get onto. Long story short, the ASG gig isn't going to make you more qualified than you currently are for higher level gigs. Depending on your background, you're either qualified to be on higher level programs or you're not. That being said, if you do meet the quals, it is definitely easier to network when you're overseas. Just keep in mind that everyone else around you is doing the same. I'd keep information fairly close to the chest until you've signed with somebody else.
Old 5 January 2018, 01:37
Authorized Personnel

Also something to consider...you can go to college and wait tables and make that much money...and after 3-4 years you'll be in a much better position than if you go sit in a box in Afghanistan.
Old 5 January 2018, 07:07
Administrator

I applaud you for working.
That said, you're essentially on a pulse and passport contract. You should be trying to move on as soon as you can.
Old 5 January 2018, 09:14
Divides by zero

In the end, ask yourself if it is worth it to you. A mans got to eat. But that is pretty low scale to serve in a war zone.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:08

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I couldn't agree with you more, as far as the potential to make more money stateside.
I just would like to do psc because it's a field I enjoy. I've been a civie for about a year, and shadowed some professions and it just isn't for me.
I would just like not be capped at such a low income for a hazardous job.
Thank you again to everyone for your comments and help; please fill free to add additional comments that may be beneficial to help one expand in this field.
Old 5 January 2018, 11:07
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Also something to consider...you can go to college and wait tables and make that much money...and after 3-4 years you'll be in a much better position than if you go sit in a box in Afghanistan.
Pretty much. There is a price associated with sleeping in your own bed every night. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I could guess at the working conditions, the quality of your fellow work cohorts, and how youíll be treated, and itís probably not worth it. Then again Iím bouji as fuck. So thereís that.
Old 5 January 2018, 11:20
exquisitus asinus

typically landing the first job is the most difficult.. if you perform well on this contract, landing the next one will be easier..

that said, dont succumb to the delusion that security contracting is a great way to make a ton of money.. that was the case in the early 2000's.. it is largely untrue today.. very few contracts/projects pay significantly better than what most people can make at home doing something else..

if youre going to do the work, do it because you really enjoy it.. not because you expect at some point to get paid exceptionally well to do it.. otherwise youre likely going to find yourself disappointed somewhere down the road..

just my .02
Old 5 January 2018, 16:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prxspect View Post
The position is an ASG in Kabul for $144/day the first 6 months, and then $154/day the last 6 months- no paid R&R.
How long is the work day? 8 hours? How many days a week?

Just curious.
Old 5 January 2018, 17:04
Former Koolaide Tester

Mdwest is absolutely correct. Contracting really doesn't pay that well anymore, and if you get too far down the rabbit hole it's hard to get out of. I think someone else also mentioned that if you are qualified for something higher, than taking that job is probably not going to boost your status.

~Colonel Arthur D. Simons
Old 5 January 2018, 17:22
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
than taking that job is probably not going to boost your status.
Any company that's stupid enough to think guys making $12 an hour in Kabul aren't going to be looking to jump on the next job available is delusional.
Old 5 January 2018, 17:27
Confirmed User

Tier system (your words) is based on contacts you make along the way, your ability to pass an in-depth selection and timing in that order for the most part.

Do not try and play leap frog with contracts and burn bridges trying to get onto a better program, a low paying gig is better then no gig but always be on the look out for word on the street for other programs selection classes. Keep this in mind when you think you have found the holy grail of programs and really all it is, is an opportunity to take the selection.

If you pass you will still have a time lag to deploy but if you do not, you are now out of work if you burned a bridge just to get to a selection. You are the only one who can make that choice of what to do or pursue trying to move up where everything is a risk. Good luck to you in your endeavors and pursuits.

I have seen it work for dudes if they make it and others who truly fucked themselves by bailing on a current contract.
Old 5 January 2018, 17:30
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I agree. I would recommend going to school full time on the GI Bill every time over taking a job like that.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 5 January 2018, 18:47
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I agree. I would recommend going to school full time on the GI Bill every time over taking a job like that.
For a Marine, Mass is pretty smart...

You canít take an education away from someone...
Old 5 January 2018, 19:33
Policeman Officer

When somebody reads this to me I'm gonna be so mad.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 6 January 2018, 03:18
Been There Done That

Donít know your background, but thatís def at the bottom of the stack. Only real benefit to that one (aside from getting out the door pretty quick) is your deployed time on that contract will usually count for better gigs if you donít already have the requisite high threat time from the mil.

Iíll second what others have said- be looking for better contracts, but donít burn any bridges (ie, complete whatever your commitment is and give them as much notice as you can); and if you are in a position to do so (no bills at home), bank as much of that as possible. Contracting (even on the better gigs) is definitely feast and famine, so plan ahead.
Old 6 January 2018, 07:59
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20boatguy22 View Post
Donít know your background, but thatís def at the bottom of the stack. Only real benefit to that one (aside from getting out the door pretty quick) is your deployed time on that contract will usually count for better gigs if you donít already have the requisite high threat time from the mil.

Iíll second what others have said- be looking for better contracts, but donít burn any bridges (ie, complete whatever your commitment is and give them as much notice as you can); and if you are in a position to do so (no bills at home), bank as much of that as possible. Contracting (even on the better gigs) is definitely feast and famine, so plan ahead.

Like if you get hurt and end up on DBA?
Old 6 January 2018, 08:31
micro-aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prxspect View Post
ASG through Aegis... Is it easier to find contracts after you get the first one? I'm taking it in hopes to get my foot in the door, to either grow through Aegis or another company that presents better opportunities...
No way, not here, not for $150 a day.
You can't sit here for 12 months, not doing the kind of work that pays those wages - you're going to have to get out of here for at least one R&R; so suddenly you're down a month's pay and a plane ticket. Your $50k gig just became a $40k gig. Oh, and if you're on a DoS contract, you get to pay 20% in Afghan taxes while you're at it.

It's infuriating when I hear that guys are willing to work in AFG for so little - it hurts the whole industry imho.

Our new posting rules