SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 23 March 2019, 07:28
BTDT

Bunch of old fuckers on here..... :)

The pay will be changing soon. Various versions have been floating around for the last few years, but it basically comes down to the amount of schools from a variety of "Tiers", combined with your level of rank/responsibility.

So for example (this is made up, but relatively close to what it is), you may qualify for $750 or something in pro pay, but you'd have to have 2 schools from Tier 1 (Jumpmaster, CDQC, Halo), and then 2 from Tier II (DMT, SOTIC, HALO JM), and then 1 more from Tier III (OTC, ASOT), and ALSO be in an 18Z Position.

The problem (as I see it), is it encourages badge/school collection. Team SGTs will be fucking their guy's wallet by sending him to "this school" instead of "that school".
Old 23 March 2019, 16:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Blank View Post
Bunch of old fuckers on here..... :)

The pay will be changing soon. Various versions have been floating around for the last few years, but it basically comes down to the amount of schools from a variety of "Tiers", combined with your level of rank/responsibility.

So for example (this is made up, but relatively close to what it is), you may qualify for $750 or something in pro pay, but you'd have to have 2 schools from Tier 1 (Jumpmaster, CDQC, Halo), and then 2 from Tier II (DMT, SOTIC, HALO JM), and then 1 more from Tier III (OTC, ASOT), and ALSO be in an 18Z Position.

The problem (as I see it), is it encourages badge/school collection. Team SGTs will be fucking their guy's wallet by sending him to "this school" instead of "that school".
Sounds complicated. Just give every SF qualed soldier serving in an 18 series slot $600 a month profieceny pay and call it a day. No demo or language pay since that is already part of the SF skill set one must maintain. Any advanced SWC courses, that is just continuing education all go through.

Give Dive qualed SF soldiers get a free breakfast at the DFAC.
Old 23 March 2019, 17:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Blank View Post
The pay will be changing soon.
The pay has been changing soon for at least 15 years.
Old 23 March 2019, 18:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sounds complicated. Just give every SF qualed soldier serving in an 18 series slot $600 a month profieceny pay and call it a day. No demo or language pay since that is already part of the SF skill set one must maintain. Any advanced SWC courses, that is just continuing education all go through.

Give Dive qualed SF soldiers get a free breakfast at the DFAC.
I would have been down for some free breakfast.
Old 23 March 2019, 22:17
Been There Done That

The new tiered pro-pay scale is hot garbage. As stated it incentivizes guys to chase schools and check blocks rather than train and gain skills to go to combat.

Plus, the S-1’s can’t even keep our language certs straight to manage language pay. Now with the new tier pro-pay they are going to have to coordinate and manage a dozen other certs for quarterly or annual audits to keep pay straight. Complete and utter administrative nightmare.

Lastly, as a team sgt it is another added bonus of paperwork to manage.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 28 March 2019, 14:07
BT,WBTWC

Jump pay ...

... most of us, if we were told "Jump Pay is $55 a month" or even "$110 a month" would have said ...

... OK, and who do I make my check out to?
Old 28 March 2019, 14:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Jump pay ...

... most of us, if we were told "Jump Pay is $55 a month" or even "$110 a month" would have said ...

... OK, and who do I make my check out to?
Not me...26 years on jump status, and I never cared for jumping. Hollywood daylight MFF was okay, you can keep the rest of it.
Old 28 March 2019, 16:22
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Not me...26 years on jump status, and I never cared for jumping. Hollywood daylight MFF was okay, you can keep the rest of it.
That’s wisdom right there.
Old 28 March 2019, 17:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
I always regarded it as a shitty way to get there. Just a little better than road marching.
Old 31 March 2019, 17:21

Cass' story

[Mods, please delete if this is too off topic, unwanted or inappropriate.]

I searched for but couldn't find a thread in which Cass outlined his recruitment for UDT. He said something to the effect of "They asked for volunteers and I raised my hand. All I knew was I'd be doing something different and getting an extra $30 a month".

His commentary and contributions are great; I really miss him.
Old 31 March 2019, 23:40
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Agree with above. Glad to see them finally paying better for skills. When I started jump pay was $110. Later went up to $150 before I retired. Dive pay was $175. My class motto in scuba school was “I dive for $175”.

I was an 18C before CWO and never saw any demo pay.
When I left Key West to go back to The Legion at Campbell, They started paying me $250 for Dive Pay. I went to finance and they Said: "You are on Dive Status, right?" "And you are an officer right?" I answered yes to both. Well, Dive Officer pay is $250. month. Why fight stupid?
Old 31 March 2019, 23:43
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Water Jumps for 2.5 years were OK. Although Sammy Foster (RIP) and I made up for it by doing night para-dragers with combat equipment followed by a swim when ever we had the aircraft.
Old 1 April 2019, 20:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
When I left Key West to go back to The Legion at Campbell, They started paying me $250 for Dive Pay. I went to finance and they Said: "You are on Dive Status, right?" "And you are an officer right?" I answered yes to both. Well, Dive Officer pay is $250. month. Why fight stupid?
lol I could have used that when I was the Group Dive Officer. I wonder what the statute of limitations are on back pay.

Our new posting rules