SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 April 2019, 11:42
Did...did I do that?

FBI National Academy Association websites hacked

TechCrunch is reporting that hackers have attacked three FBINAA websites and downloaded personal data of members.

The Associated Press counted at least 1,400 unique records of employees of the FBI, Secret Service, Capital Police, and other federal agencies as well as police and sheriffs' deputies in North Carolina and Florida.

Keep an eye on your financials and so forth.
Old 13 April 2019, 11:44
Unemployed Stunt Double

We should just post all PII for anyone associated with fed, state, or local government online...save all these hackers the minimal effort apparently required to hack government systems. The hackers can instead devote that time to cleaning the basement before mom gets pissed.
Old 14 April 2019, 05:25
BTDT

Silly hackers, just grab the OPM data...
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 14 April 2019, 08:38
Been There Done That

@bobmueller said "Keep an eye on your financials...."

I suppose their hacking may simply be intended to identify LEOs but I think they are working hand-in-hand with simple identity theft criminal enterprises to either gather, or to sell the data to them. As we all know, when you get into in depth LEO background details, there is a bunch of financial data in there.
From personal experience: Since the OPM hack my data was compromised following the breach. We signed up for the free ID protection of a year, and didn't see a thing. But after a quiet period, on 3 different times over several years American Express on its own, contacted us and reissued new cards with new account numbers. They detected fraudulent charges and unusual activity, mainly in Hong Kong on both my and my wife's cards. One of our bank debit cards had to be changed, too.

I hope the NA will be sending out the notices to those they know whose IDs have been compromised.
Old 14 April 2019, 12:33
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
We signed up for the free ID protection of a year, and didn't see a thing. But after a quiet period, on 3 different times over several years ...
I have to wonder how smart and patient the bad guys are. Do they really start selling this stuff right away, or do they wait a bit? And once you buy this data, do you wait a bit until the uproar dies down or do you start using it right away?
Old 15 April 2019, 08:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
I have to wonder how smart and patient the bad guys are. Do they really start selling this stuff right away, or do they wait a bit? And once you buy this data, do you wait a bit until the uproar dies down or do you start using it right away?
Your comment is in line with my suspicions regarding federal LE records, the actual hack is done by state (potentially sponsored) hackers. Once the hostile .gov involved archives and exploits the data, they can then sell it to criminal enterprises either as a cost recovery, or simply to make US personnel lives miserable. YMMV

Our new posting rules