SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 17 February 2019, 14:24
Confirmed User

Carpal Tunnel fixes

Does anyone have any suggestions for carpal tunnel issues. I've tried stretches and the splints at night. Stretches helped for a while but the splits were not helpful. Both hands seem to be effected but more so my right which I use more at work dragging cables around the hillside. I'm going to schedule an appointment at the end of this season to get it looked at but wanted to try and get through the year to breakup. Thanks.
Old 17 February 2019, 14:46
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for carpal tunnel issues. I've tried stretches and the splints at night. Stretches helped for a while but the splits were not helpful. Both hands seem to be effected but more so my right which I use more at work dragging cables around the hillside. I'm going to schedule an appointment at the end of this season to get it looked at but wanted to try and get through the year to breakup. Thanks.
I know a few folks that had surgery. They reported positive results.
Old 17 February 2019, 15:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I know a few folks that had surgery. They reported positive results.
I think it's to that point too. Going to go in when I get a chance.
Old 17 February 2019, 15:45
What could possibly go wrong?

As the doctor told me, you can fuck with this for a couple months with exercises, stretching etc and then get the surgery, or just cut to the chase. It was a simple outpatient surgery and fixed my problem.
Old 18 February 2019, 09:32
Been There Done That

I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery around 2000ish? Much like my back, you ride it out until you conclude you need to get cut on. It did offer relief and after I had my right hand done, I was eager to get the left. Back then, it was an operation normally done by plastic surgeons due to the nature of the nerve bundle and other parts that pinch down into a tight area.

Fast forward, I still had some problems with my hands (my issues are complicated by frost bite, and neuropathy (called radiculopathy). A year after the carpals, I had bilateral ulnar nerve transposition. I tolerated it all very well, and estimate I had about an 80% improvement.

My caution is that as time went on, I felt problems starting to creep back in. Forward and by 2015 my neurologist said that my nerve studies were abnormal. I didn't wait this time around and had one hand (and elbow) redone as soon as I got the Dx. This operation was done by an orthopedic surgeon - much quicker recovery than over a decade ago. A few weeks later, had the other side done. So, at least in my case, the procedure was not a permanent fix. This time, I estimate I am back to about 70% of "normal" hand function - able to move without pain and adequate feeling in my hands. It is worth getting it done, but I suspect you will not encounter a "total cure".
Old 18 February 2019, 17:37
Authorized Personnel

I've had this too for a few months. Seems like it spreads. Now I have some aches in my bicep tendons and somewhere in my shoulder. Such a pain in the ass.

Have either of you tried physical therapy?
Old 18 February 2019, 22:29
Administrator

Get the surgery. The wife is about to have her 2nd. Very common surgery around here in the competitive shooting community.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2019, 12:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Get the surgery. The wife is about to have her 2nd. Very common surgery around here in the competitive shooting community.
I'd assume it's a short term fix, right? The patient has to eventually fix the issue, weak muscle, muscle imbalance, posture/form, etc or the pain will resurface.
Old 21 February 2019, 13:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
I'd assume it's a short term fix, right? The patient has to eventually fix the issue, weak muscle, muscle imbalance, posture/form, etc or the pain will resurface.
The surgery is a permanent fix. Everything short of surgery is temporary.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2019, 14:02
Confirmed User

What I found effective was these hand strengtheners. You need to do the exercise on these that opens up the fingers. I found that carpal tunnel is due to a muscle imbalance and strengthening the opposite muscles helps relieve that stress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 21 February 2019, 15:32
Confirmed User

Jong, I use a pretty big rubber band to do the same thing - do you find those devices to be more effective?
Old 21 February 2019, 15:49
Confirmed User

RemTech, yes because you can do all sorts of different exercises with them. I started with a rubber band too, but l like that better. I've been using it for over a year and it hasn't broken.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 22 February 2019, 06:40
Been There Done That

I would imagine the myriad number of times and the hundreds of thousands of rounds spent to get to the level of shooter of some or many of you brigands had absolutely nothing to do with carpal tunnel or hook finger syndrome!
Old 22 February 2019, 07:25
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into those bands. Still planning on scheduling a Dr visit when I get some free time.
Old 23 February 2019, 13:53
Confirmed User

I was doing some more research because the wife has this and she doesn't like to listen to me and I found this. At least one study backs it up.
https://carpaldoctors.com/product/ct...ndrome-medium/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17254905

Winston Churchill

Maynard James Keenan
Old 5 March 2019, 14:42
Been There Done That

I had lost feeling in three of my finger and then the operation. I got the feeling and the use of my finger back. The only issues I have is where the VA doctor cut from my wrist into my palm and left an S scar that took almost 6 months to heal. This was in 2001. I have no problems with my hand so far.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.

Our new posting rules