SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 12 January 2019, 18:19
Been There Done That

American K-9 Interdiction, 3 month course covered by VA

I'm currently enrolled in American K-9 Interdictions Patrol/Detection Dog Trainer Program. It's an extensive program that this covered through the Post 9/11 Bill. It's a 3 month course that takes place in lower VA, with housing. The instructors are superb and the curriculum is stout. If you are unsure on how to utilize your benefits and ever been interested in being a certified dog handler and instructor, this is it!! You train with a dog that you're issued....and you leave with it. Yeah, you get a badass dog and credentials upon completion. Check it out!!
Old 13 January 2019, 14:31

I can attest to AK9I. I was sent there by the Marine Corps to become a detection dog handler and overall it was a great school. When I went it was cold as hell but still fun. We were put up in a hotel during the course so I cant say how the living conditions are. You learn pretty much everything you need to know about utilizing the K9 and basic medical.
Old 13 January 2019, 23:18
Been There Done That

The housing is dorm like and yes, it's cold AF here! During this course, not only do you learn how to utilize K9's, but also proper training techniques. Correct training styles in order to get K9's certified as working dogs.

Last edited by Shepp; 13 January 2019 at 23:23.
Old 13 January 2019, 23:19
The Sagacious One

What breed of dog did you get?
Old 14 January 2019, 20:41
Been There Done That

I got a male Mal, and also brought my Service Dog (GSD). They work with students, ensuring they receive a dog to their needs. They offer mainly Mals and GSD's, however there was an English Pointer and a Chocolate Lab offered/received in my class.
Old 15 January 2019, 02:16
Authorized Personnel

What certification(s) do they offer? Not the discipline but what entity or entities. Reading through the student handbook it mentions trained to NAPWDA standards. Are you NAPWDA certified when you're done? They have NAPWDA trainers on staff?

Are they telling you guys you will be able to get work with the dog they provide?

What's the background of the guys running the show? I watched their videos on the website but nothing is mentioned as to their body of work or experience to get them to the place they're at now.

When you're done you'll be a handler or a trainer or ?

I'm just curious because the website seems to be long on promotion of the school / program, short on factual background.
Old 16 January 2019, 09:42

When I went through their course back in 2009 I received a certification for EDD Handler. It is nationally recognized. I had a male black lab but because I was still active duty the K9 was not mine to keep. I took him on the push through Marjah and he was a great dog.

All of the trainers we had were nationally certified detection trainers with at least 10+ years experience in training police and military working dogs.

I believe they have certifications for both trainers and handlers.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmichael View Post
When I went through their course back in 2009 .

That was then, this is now. I am asking for current pertinent information.
Old 18 January 2019, 17:45
Been There Done That

Skivies...apologies for the delayed response.

No, we are not going to be NAPWDA certified, however we will be trained equivalent, and ready to test out with our K9's.

The instructors have in-depth experience. I am fortunate to have Brad Allen ('Dog Jesus') as an instructor for my small group of 5, out of a class of 22. There is also a <2> instructor here as well, training another group in my class.

We have been told that our dogs are work ready after the course, with job placement can be provided by the company. I believe they are currently seeking 8 pacs to migrate into a cargo contract when complete.

We will be considered instructors and handlers after this course, yet still to be cleared though a National certifying entity.

As far as their work experience to be able offer such a program..... I have personally worked with this company in 2004, out of Bagram AF for QRF and TST Ops. Dutch was the dog, and he was a beast!!

Other than that, I'm confident they push dogs to other areas of SOF community to this day. With that said, I believe the reason you are reading more marketing style information is cause they have truly proven their style within the community and have pushed into the commercial side of things, providing this program as a 'General College Course'.

Hope these answer your questions. Feel free to PM if you have any more in-depth questions. See below..

Our Certs read:

CERTIFIED PATROL/DETECTION DOG TRAINER

This is to certify that *** **** has on this day X XXX 2019, completed the 520 hour Patrol/Detection Dog Trainer Course.

This certificate is presented by American K-9 Interdiction, LLC, in recognition of the professional skills you have acquired and demonstrated during this course.

Certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
Old 18 January 2019, 18:35
Authorized Personnel

PM inbound
Old 7 March 2019, 16:42
Confirmed User

Is this available to non Veterans? My daughter is seeking K9 trainer, or joining military to somehow go down that path.
Old 7 March 2019, 22:41
Been There Done That

Yes, non-veterans/civilians are able to take part in the course. PM me if you need more details.

Our new posting rules