SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 1 January 2019, 00:25
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Nice piece of work!

Next time you want to 'weather it' try using a solution of vinegar and soak a half dozen steel wool balls in it for a few days. Strain the solution into a spray applicator and apply then allow the wood to be in the sun for a couple of hours. It will look a hundred years old...
Thanks! Like I said I really have no idea what Im doing. I am definitely going to give that a try. Next up is a coffee table.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 1 January 2019, 06:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
I don't know if anybody else has done this but I plan on using my GI Bill to go to a close by University and get a degree in wood working, specifically Furniture and cabinetry. I was shocked to see it as an actual 4 year degree when I was researching majors at a local college. I can bang together 2x4's and such but it will be nice to learn how to really work the joinery with some craft and precision.

I am 8 years past retirement and may as well use it for something fun and interesting. Afterwards I plan on just doing it as a hobby and try to sell my work at local craft and vendor shows.

I am sure I have to take plenty of BS classes to go along with the wood working classes to satisfy the core requirements of the school.
Based on how you plan to use what you learn, and assuming they're not prerequisites to the woodworking classes you actually want to take, why take the BS classes required to get the degree? Why not just take the woodworking classes, learn the skills and move on?
Old 1 January 2019, 14:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
Thanks! Like I said I really have no idea what Im doing. I am definitely going to give that a try. Next up is a coffee table.
Do a test piece of wood to see if you like th result- I'd hate to be responsible for ruining a bunch of innocent wood...
Old 1 January 2019, 14:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Based on how you plan to use what you learn, and assuming they're not prerequisites to the woodworking classes you actually want to take, why take the BS classes required to get the degree? Why not just take the woodworking classes, learn the skills and move on?
I want to take full advantage of the GI Bill to include the monthly Housing allowance stipend. The college is in PA and I live in Ohio (1 freaking mile over the border) so I will probably be listed as an out of state resident and have to pay out of pocket for some it to the tune of about $4,000 a year, hence the Housing allowance I receive will go to pay for my out of pocket tuition.

There are a lot of other subjects I am interested in and would like to take those classes as well but not enough to want to get a degree in them so I will like to take them as electives if possible.

I have a campus visit planned in a couple of weeks to get all of the scoop and will develop a plan from there.
Old 1 January 2019, 15:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I don't know if anybody else has done this but I plan on using my GI Bill to go to a close by University and get a degree in wood working, specifically Furniture and cabinetry. I was shocked to see it as an actual 4 year degree when I was researching majors at a local college. I can bang together 2x4's and such but it will be nice to learn how to really work the joinery with some craft and precision.

I am 8 years past retirement and may as well use it for something fun and interesting. Afterwards I plan on just doing it as a hobby and try to sell my work at local craft and vendor shows.

I am sure I have to take plenty of BS classes to go along with the wood working classes to satisfy the core requirements of the school.
Check out the below link to see if the school you're interested in participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If so, the school has agreed to accept whatever the GI Bill will pay you as payment in full for your schooling. Lots of Pennsylvania schools on the list.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/y.../states/pa.asp
Old 1 January 2019, 15:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Check out the below link to see if the school you're interested in participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If so, the school has agreed to accept whatever the GI Bill will pay you as payment in full for your schooling. Lots of Pennsylvania schools on the list.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/y.../states/pa.asp
I have and they unfortunately do not. I have read about the Choice act passed a few years ago with regards to in state out of state questions and they all seem to focus around residency by the time class starts or something to that extent. I will find out more during my visit about it.

Maybe I will get lucky and the school will list me as instate because of my veteran status but I am not holding my breath, colleges are a business to make money. I have another university the same distance from my house in Ohio but it is a satellite campus and very very limited on classes with an austere empty campus. Maybe I can use that to my advantage when talking with admissions.
Old 1 January 2019, 15:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
I want to take full advantage of the GI Bill to include the monthly Housing allowance stipend. The college is in PA and I live in Ohio (1 freaking mile over the border) so I will probably be listed as an out of state resident and have to pay out of pocket for some it to the tune of about $4,000 a year, hence the Housing allowance I receive will go to pay for my out of pocket tuition.

There are a lot of other subjects I am interested in and would like to take those classes as well but not enough to want to get a degree in them so I will like to take them as electives if possible.

I have a campus visit planned in a couple of weeks to get all of the scoop and will develop a plan from there.
Not actually finishing the degree will not prevent you from taking full advantage of the GI Bill to include the housing allowance.

Been there, done that.
Old 1 January 2019, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I have and they unfortunately do not.
That sucks. Sorry.
Old 1 January 2019, 19:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Not actually finishing the degree will not prevent you from taking full advantage of the GI Bill to include the housing allowance.

Been there, done that.
Very true, I will see how it goes once I have all the information. I also want to see how it all comes together and maybe getting a minor in something else to add some employability in the future "if needed" which at this point isn't a need. My interest in other subjects is also a driving force to exploring a degree.

If I am going to put in the time I at least want to get something out of it in the long run as a back up. I am in the beginning stages of figuring all of this out so I am sure there is plenty that I haven't thought of yet.
Old 8 March 2019, 18:32
Been There Done That

You forgot the warning part of "don't leave the vinegar and steel wool bottle outside in the sun" while you are letting it age.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 9 March 2019, 23:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
You forgot the warning part of "don't leave the vinegar and steel wool bottle outside in the sun" while you are letting it age.
Yeah- only leave the wood in the sun if you want a DARK stain-

O used it to stain some pallets I use for a Halloween 'graveyard' fence...
Old 12 April 2019, 21:32
Been There Done That

New project

I've started making some 'Farm House style Benches'- my daughter makes these and sells them online.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

What do you think?
Old 12 April 2019, 21:43
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I've started making some 'Farm House style Benches'- my daughter makes these and sells them online.

Attachment 42698

Attachment 42699

What do you think?
Nice. How long are they?
Old 12 April 2019, 22:35
Confirmed User

Those look nice. I always wanted a Farmhouse style kitchen table.
Old 13 April 2019, 09:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Those look nice. I always wanted a Farmhouse style kitchen table.
I might be able to help you out with that. We can send it to you disassembled, but wood is pretty heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0791.jpg (54.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0792.jpg (45.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0793.jpg (40.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0794.jpg (39.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 13 April 2019, 22:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Nice. How long are they?
It's 6 foot- I can make them just about any size.

Here's an example of a Farm House Style Table I built my daughter 2 years ago.

Untitled.png
Old 14 April 2019, 00:36
The atomic zit

Nice table!

The young lady in the picture has a full on, “Dad” why are you taking a picture of me face!!!
Old 14 April 2019, 17:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Nice table!

The young lady in the picture has a full on, Dad why are you taking a picture of me face!!!
That's Lorelei- my oldest grand daughter- the table is 'hers'; I told my daughter that the table is Lorelei's because in about 8 more years she will want to remodel/redecorate and I will put the table into storage until Lorelei has a family, at which time I will deliver it to her...

Our new posting rules