SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 8 March 2019, 13:30
Confirmed User

Over 2200 cases to be reviewed. LINK

Quote:
At least 800 cases linked to Houston Police Officer Steven Bryant will be reviewed, according to Harris County officials. The cases will be reviewed as a part of a probe that stems from a deadly officer-involved shooting on Harding Street in late January.
Quote:
Bryant's cases will be reviewed in addition to more than 1,400 cases tied to Officer Gerald Goines. Goines was relieved of duty last month.
Bryant has submitted paperwork to retire. LINK

Quote:
Multiple law enforcement sources confirmed Bryant put in his retirement paperwork this week. An ongoing investigation would not affect his compensation benefits.
Quote:
Two other narcotics officers, including a longtime partner of Goines, have quietly retired from the department in recent weeks, including one who is under investigation for an unrelated matter, .....
Old 8 March 2019, 16:32
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Bryant has submitted paperwork to retire.
I'd like to see officers under investigation receive a flag where they cannot receive any favorable personnel action while under suspension or investigation. I know it'll never happen, and implementation would be difficult. But I'd still like to see it.

Can pensions be affected by civil judgments? Like could Mr. Tuttle and Miss Nicholas' estates file wrongful death suits and get their pensions? What about the people who may have been wrongfully convicted based on either Mr. Goines or Mr. Bryant?
Old 8 March 2019, 16:42
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
I'd like to see officers under investigation receive a flag where they cannot receive any favorable personnel action while under suspension or investigation. I know it'll never happen, and implementation would be difficult. But I'd still like to see it.

Can pensions be affected by civil judgments? Like could Mr. Tuttle and Miss Nicholas' estates file wrongful death suits and get their pensions? What about the people who may have been wrongfully convicted based on either Mr. Goines or Mr. Bryant?
Unlike the Florida school shooting where deputy chickenshit, this is straight up police misconduct. I’d say they are more than exposed to losing all of their shit in a civil case.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 8 March 2019, 17:22
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Unlike the Florida school shooting where deputy chickenshit, this is straight up police misconduct. Iíd say they are more than exposed to losing all of their shit in a civil case.
I don't know how things work in Texas but he's likely going to be charged with crimes while on duty, under color of authority, etc. So I'd imagine his pension is also in danger.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 March 2019, 18:47
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I don't know how things work in Texas but he's likely going to be charged with crimes while on duty, under color of authority, etc. So I'd imagine his pension is also in danger.
IIRC it's Official oppression or something similar in Texas.

My guess is the city takes it in the ass, but the cops won't have a long shelf life in the Texas Penal System.
Old 9 March 2019, 06:19
BTDT

We all love unions, right? Is the police union standing behind these guys?
Old 9 March 2019, 11:46
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
We all love unions, right? Is the police union standing behind these guys?
I think I've covered this pretty exhaustively in other posts but I assume they have to pay for his legal representation.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 9 March 2019, 17:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
I think I've covered this pretty exhaustively in other posts but I assume they have to pay for his legal representation.
Unless police unions are very different than others that will vary based on the specific local and their bylaws and policies.

Generally members are provided with union representation during disciplinary actions by their employer, but that doesnít mean by a lawyer though it could. Unions are obligated to ensure that their contract and proper disciplinary actions are followed by their employer (which is infuriating sometimes) but, depending on the local, there likely isnít any requirement beyond that.

Some may be required to provide a criminal defense or choose to do so. Just depends.
Old 9 March 2019, 18:34
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Agreed. Losing retirement is the least of their concerns right now.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 March 2019, 00:49
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Agreed. Losing retirement is the least of their concerns right now.
Yeah he's going to prison.

Old 11 March 2019, 14:08
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
Some may be required to provide a criminal defense or choose to do so. Just depends.
My union provides criminal defense representation and a degree (I haven't looked into it) of civil representation in accordance with dues and membership. It's the exact reason I'm a member of the union. If I'm involved in a shooting, I'm immediately the suspect in a felony investigation conducted by an outside agency. Having a board certified criminal defense attorney on retainer is more than prudent.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 14 March 2019, 09:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
My union provides criminal defense representation and a degree (I haven't looked into it) of civil representation in accordance with dues and membership. It's the exact reason I'm a member of the union. If I'm involved in a shooting, I'm immediately the suspect in a felony investigation conducted by an outside agency. Having a board certified criminal defense attorney on retainer is more than prudent.
Is that actually a normal thing, for police unions to provide for a criminal defense? You guys are probably more at risk of facing criminal charges just because of the nature of your job so it does make sense if that's the case.
Old 14 March 2019, 13:51
Policeman Officer

I think that's pretty standard.

Old 14 March 2019, 14:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Is that actually a normal thing, for police unions to provide for a criminal defense?
Both of the departments I worked for did it like this: 1) Cop accused of wrongdoing (civil or criminal). 2) Department/Agency does internal review to determine if officer's conduct was "in the line of duty." 3) If the agency decides it's "line of duty," the agency provided defense. If ruled not "line of duty," the union would provide defense, with caveats. If the conduct was egregious (i.e. capital crime), then the union may not provide defense.
Old 14 March 2019, 16:46
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Is that actually a normal thing, for police unions to provide for a criminal defense? You guys are probably more at risk of facing criminal charges just because of the nature of your job so it does make sense if that's the case.
Yep.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench

Our new posting rules