SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 9 August 2018, 13:59
Confirmed User

Thank You 1st Responders

So we had a horrible tragedy in our city on Tuesday morning. A 2 and 3 y/o brother and sister live in a trailer park near some rail road tracks. Sneak out of the trailer and go up to investigate the tracks. Train is coming down the tracks, by the time the conductor sees them he applies the brakes. But it's too late. The boy is killed instantly. The sister survives thanks to the efforts of the first responders. She is air lifted to trauma in Chicago. Reports are she is awake and talking. Counselors have been brought in assist with the first responders that were on the scene. Some are having a real tough time with what they saw. Our oldest sons police department was one of the first on the scene. I am selfishly thankful he was not working day shift to see this. Thank you first responders for all you do.
Old 9 August 2018, 14:58
Never to old to learn

The first responders have the hardest job of all an it hits them the hardest.
Some things they will never forget.

Yes Thank You 1st Responders
Old 9 August 2018, 16:14
Confirmed User

Kids are the worst part of the job. We all see some gnarly stuff, but kids getting maimed or killed is the only thing that haunts me.
Old 9 August 2018, 18:40
Anesthetized User

Kids are always tough.

Good job to all.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 9 August 2018, 18:44
Supporterator

Ugh. RIP innocent little one.
Old 9 August 2018, 20:43
Confirmed User

I never had a true appreciation for the police/fire/ems until I came back from Iraq the 2nd time. It's not like I didn't like them, I always wanted to be a cop when I was little, just the whole thing didn't really dawn on me.

After seeing how fucked up a society is when these instituions are not strong it totally changed my perspective. That's a big reason why I get really pissed when we have these public examples of them abusing power or behaving badly.
Old 10 August 2018, 09:28
Bitter old man.

Most Dangerous job I ever worked was the Railroad.
The Tracks are no joke. BZ to the first responders my heart goes out to the family and the train crew.
Old 10 August 2018, 14:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Most Dangerous job I ever worked was the Railroad.
The Tracks are no joke. BZ to the first responders my heart goes out to the family and the train crew.
I was remiss in not mentioning the train crew. They were replaced with another crew to finish the run and provided counseling. I can't imagine what the conductor/engineer witnessed.
Old 11 August 2018, 11:22

EMT/Medics don’t get paid nearly enough for what they do on a daily basis.

Sorry for your community’s loss.
Old 11 August 2018, 17:09
I really don't care

I'm not active for over a year now. I feel lucky I only had the typical bumps and bruises and broken bones with the little ones. I've never had kids but I just can't fathom what it would be like to deal with something like the loss of a neice or nephew. Or any child for that matter.
Lots of adults and elderly in really bad conditions but thank God I don't have to live with the memory of a child in that situation. My worst was a police officer who wrecked his cruiser and bled out. It was a horrible tragedy but pales in comparison to incidents like the ones in your neighborhood. Rest in peace for the small ones and I also offer my condolences to your community.
Old 12 August 2018, 12:28
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
EMT/Medics don’t get paid nearly enough for what they do on a daily basis.
100%. When I was an EMS Captain I took a picture of a hiring poster from Burger King and sent it to our Ops Chief. The hourly rate was at or a few cents more than our starting EMTs. Sad for public safety and would add teachers are way overdue for a real salary.
Old 12 August 2018, 13:06
I really don't care

Doc you are spot on. I got caught up in the whole "own my own rig, be my own boss" thing. But if me or my partner missed more than 10 to 15 hours in a week it would make payments on the rig and equipment almost undoable. I started at $24k and if not for overtime I wouldn't have made it. Selling it all was a great day! I loved the work but the pay did not parallel the stress.
Old 12 August 2018, 13:06
Policeman Officer

I've been lucky and have never had to deal with dead or injured kids. Luck of the draw. Some of my buddies have and it's seriously hard. One of them gets visibly emotional and has a hard time on similar calls.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 August 2018, 20:13
Confirmed User

Four child deaths in my career. Three of which I was the primary Detective. The first three were easy to accept as two were clearly undiagnosed medical issues and one was a bathtub drowning..

The last one was a two year old who just didn't wake up. Ruled medical by the ME but it still bothers me.
Old 12 August 2018, 21:56
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Doc you are spot on. I got caught up in the whole "own my own rig, be my own boss" thing. But if me or my partner missed more than 10 to 15 hours in a week it would make payments on the rig and equipment almost undoable. I started at $24k and if not for overtime I wouldn't have made it. Selling it all was a great day! I loved the work but the pay did not parallel the stress.
Huh?

Support SOCNET.

Old 12 August 2018, 22:09
Been There Done That

That's awful. RIP little guy. Prayers to the sister.

First responders no doubt see some awful shit. I've had the unfortunate experience of being at fatal car wrecks on 3 occasions before anyone else arrived. I wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis for sure.

Yes. Thank You!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 August 2018, 22:14
Confirmed User

Dealing with kids can certainly be tough. I’ve worked a couple of SIDS incidents and drownings. Several guys I work with have young kids and that stuff hits too close to home when we have one of those calls.

The worst one for me was a case that involved my first extrication where a woman flipped her car with her toddler. The kid was in a car seat and was ok, not a scratch on her. But a few years later, that same woman did an Earnhardt into the median wall on the interstate and killed the kid that time.
Old 12 August 2018, 23:10
Been There Done That

My 13 y/o grandson wondered off at 26 months old and tried to get a ball out of our neighbors bluegill pond. We had just been in this house for 2 weeks, wasn't even all unpacked yet. It was Memorial Day weekend in 2008.

He was in 4 ft of water face down, not breathing, very faint heartbeat, no color but blue. He must have been in there close to 4 minutes. Right at the threshold for organ damage. I worked on him forever it seems like, but in reality it was near 1 minute.

Doctors test indicated no brain or organ damage. We got very lucky.

I still have trouble with it. I took 4 days off from work to get myself together. I've saved total strangers, but when it's your own blood it's different.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 August 2018, 23:18
Anesthetized User

Medic-27 "Unresponsive Infant" at 0200 am, then while responding, we get our update as "airway instructions being given".

And the usual OB stuff, croup, epiglottitis, burns, La Forte fractures, flying fixed wing NICU/PICU to NICU/PICU with me and my RRT.

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 August 2018, 02:29
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I've been lucky and have never had to deal with dead or injured kids. Luck of the draw. Some of my buddies have and it's seriously hard. One of them gets visibly emotional and has a hard time on similar calls.
Dead / abused kids was the only thing I hated about working on the streets. Still can't talk about those type of incidents that I was first on the scene for. They were over a decade ago, but they still haunt me.

Our new posting rules