SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 6 August 2018, 21:49
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Weapons are great, but they are only a tool. A good martial arts school that is more martial than art will teach SA, as well as a way to create distance in order to escape or generate enough time for the target to obtain their weapons.
Agreed and inline with what I was thinking. SA is key but will only go so far. Not every situation will result in you needing a firearm or escalating the situation. Time, space, distance, are our friends in situations like this. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:50
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Okie dokie. I'll say basically what I said in my PM to Mike. In my experience as a 30 year criminal investigator and someone who has practiced and taught martial arts for 41 years now, I have learned that the overwhelming majority of women who are physically attacked are not done so in positions where a gun would help them - at least not immediately - but could in fact get them hurt even more if they present a gun.

Most women are physically attacked in positions whereby they are caught completely unaware and usually unable to retrieve a weapon - if they have one. Most women who carry a weapon, again IME, carry them in their purses and not readily available. In addition, a large number of them freeze without the ability to actually use the weapon, as do many men without the proper mindset.

I do agree that the best weapon is SA, but that can only keep one so safe when there is a determined attacker. I have taught a lot of women through H2H courses and I generally have to spend a lot of time training their MINDS to be prepared for the violence before anything else much less a weapon. Many of them - with firearms and no mindset to use them - would only put themselves in much more dangerous situations.

With all that said, firearms are a great tool to have, but again, most women will have to fight their way out of attacks in order to get to their weapons first, and then they have to have the ability to shoot through the stress. Remember, most women are accosted from ambush positions and will have to fight their way out of the physical assault in order to grab their weapons and then put rounds down range. If they can't fight their way out, the weapon will serve absolutely no purpose.

Weapons are great, but they are only a tool. A good martial arts school that is more martial than art will teach SA, as well as a way to create distance in order to escape or generate enough time for the target to obtain their weapons. Again, this is just from my experience. Others may have valid points and I could be completely wrong...regardless, I wish you the best success in finding an instructor that meets both yours and their needs.
Well said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 August 2018, 22:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Okie dokie...
Agree.

A steely eyed trainer killer that is always switched on is much less a target of opertunity than a happy go lucky chick with her head stuck in her phone.

Look/act like a victim, be a victim.
Old 6 August 2018, 23:55
Been There Done That

A lot of SOF/LE folks already have the SA. Teaching it is something else. To those who don't understand. Let's just call them victims for purposes of this subject. (Which has nothing to do with the thread)

IMO, personally someone plays me the victim. King Fu or 9mm, they loose.

I'll check on this Marine guy tomorrow. Whether it makes a difference or not.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 7 August 2018, 02:48
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I'll check on this Marine guy tomorrow. Whether it makes a difference or not.
That would be great. Apparently he was a Marine and then went Army and joined Rangers, or that’s what his bio says.

Thanks again all for your input.
Old 7 August 2018, 03:30
Chuck Norris Approved

Upon a little more digging I found the following. Born in Feb of 1958. Joined the Marine in 77 and did 4 years active and then 2 in reserves. He joined an Army reserve Ranger unit, and was sent to Airborne school and eventually Ranger school. Hennings has served many years as a Team Leader in this unit, now designated a Long Range Surveillance. Said he deployed to Falluja in 04 at the age of 45. While I am sure he could have deployed at that age, if he were still in the reserves. Was there ever an Army Ranger Reserve unit?

https://www.dynamicselfdefense.com/g...-eric-hennings

Last edited by gymrat8541; 7 August 2018 at 03:31. Reason: Add additional found bio
Old 7 August 2018, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
Was there ever an Army Ranger Reserve unit?
There were National Guard units, but apparently not USAR,
and not in his age-legal timeframe.

http://www.socnet.com/archive/index.php/t-2235.html
Old 8 August 2018, 14:40
Been There Done That

My contact at CFM is out of the loop. He will know about whether this guy trained any Rangers anywhere.

As far as his Ranger status...that's another phone call.

No, there aren't any Ranger Reserve Units. Its just cooler to say Ranger Reserve than the designated LRRP unit he was assigned to.

Sorry, for the delayed response but I'm traveling.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 August 2018, 14:58
Been There Done That

Just read all this and agree with some of the points made. Here’s another view:
-mil experience doesn’t mean shit regarding martial arts.
-martial arts doesn’t mean shit in a real fight.
-SA and target hardening can be taught at home by describing what/how you do it in daily activities
-self defense cannot be taught in a day. They need training, not a class. H2H fighting is still just a fight. Look for places that teach and train how to fight, not how to compete at a sport. Most local BJJ/MMA gyms will suffice (they just might like it and get into it) and have great programs for women.
Old 8 August 2018, 15:55
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
They need training, not a class. H2H fighting is still just a fight. Look for places that teach and train how to fight, not how to compete at a sport. Most local BJJ/MMA gyms will suffice (they just might like it and get into it) and have great programs for women.
Agreed!
Old 8 August 2018, 17:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
There were National Guard units, but apparently not USAR, and not in his age-legal timeframe.
Exactly two of them; one in Texas (G 143) and one in Michigan (F 425).

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 August 2018, 18:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Exactly two of them; one in Texas (G 143) and one in Michigan (F 425).
Three. D 151 in Indiana as well. They actually deployed to Vietnam.

All 3 of the mentioned units had “ (Ranger) “ as part of their unit designation. They all changed Long Range Surveillance in the mid/late 80s.
Old 8 August 2018, 21:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
I don't know why, but I thought D 151 was deactivated after Vietnam. I stand corrected.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 August 2018, 23:19
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I don't know why, but I thought D 151 was deactivated after Vietnam. I stand corrected.
Damn it! you made me go check. I knew they were designated a Ranger unit in Vietnam, I knew they existed in the late 80s as a LRS unit. I assumed they existed as the same unit until changing over. Now looking online, it looks like they have held other non-Ranger unit designations in between and since.
Old 9 August 2018, 19:53
Been There Done That

Know many here in Indiana that have been part of that unit. They have the Ranger tab as part of their unit logo. Most who served in that unit, whether right or wrong, will call it a Ranger unit and consider themselves as Rangers due to the units former Ranger designation/history.

As I understand it though the unit was recently deactivated, with members dispurded into other units and some retained as scout/sniper capable platoons for other Indiana Guard infantry units.

Old 9 August 2018, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
As I understand it, they were the only Army National
Guard unit that deployed to RVN.
Old 9 August 2018, 22:55
Been There Done That

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Rangers

https://armyhistory.org/company-d-15...ngers-vietnam/

Old 9 August 2018, 23:35
Been There Done That

G/143 actually had a scroll while they were designated, reverted to 36th ID with ABN tab after they transitioned back to LRS. their scroll, the left side has HLG, for Houston Light Guard. the HLG dates back to the 1840-50s if I remember right:

https://collegestation.craigslist.or...627382992.html

I'd be surprised if D/151 didn't too.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 10 August 2018 at 00:04.
Old 10 August 2018, 00:54
Chuck Norris Approved

So, from what I gather, the units may have had Ranger designations as part of their name but were not in fact Ranger units? As Leopardprey alluded to, whether right or wrong, they may have said that they were Rangers just as I have come across people who only attended Ranger school and thought that it made them Rangers. Now I may be speaking out of my lane and if so I will apologize in advance but it seems to me this guy is misleading individuals based on a unit he may have served in and the school he may have attended. While there is no definitive answer as to what unit this individual was part of and where he actually served, he is full of crap and embellishing on what he actually did. His claims are no different then if I were to say I was a Scout Sniper Instructor because I went to sniper school and trained the PIGS of our platoon before they went off to school. While yes it holds some truth to it, its a far cry from what I actually did.
Old 10 August 2018, 01:38
Been There Done That

I can't speak to D/151.

G/143 was, for a period of time, a NG Ranger Company. they were re-designated as a LRS company, with an arguably different MTOE and mission set/focus. I don't remember what year this occurred, but the 75th Ranger Regt. was stood up as a Regimental HQ, with the addition of 3rd BN, in '84. it probably took some time to work out the details between DA and the NG to quit calling guard units Ranger units.

through and post Vietnam, you had LRRP companies that were deactivated and reflagged as Ranger Companies in '69. while in country. off the top of my head, after the troop withdrawl in '72 there were a few Ranger Companies maintained in the Army until 1st/2nd Bns were stood up in '74.

both of those Companies did the same job with different titles. LRS (LRRP renamed) detachments/companies were reconstituted in the conventional Army and and were assigned organically to Divisions/Corps. they focused on recon only. Rangers by then were focused on DA and entry missions.

there is a long standing tradition of "Rangers" (to range, patrol) in the militias and State orgs during the 18-19th century. each side in the civil war had units within our lineage conducting Ranger missions. so the Illinois Rangers have a historical precedent there in their lineage. President Lincoln was a Ranger in his early life.

as far as modern day, post '74? "the tab is a school, the scroll is a way of life" is what Batt Boys say. it pisses off a lot of Ranger School graduates who never served in a Ranger unit, while having earned a tab. plenty of them call themselves Rangers because that's what the Ranger Training Brigade told them, and the conventional Army sees. he's got a tab, he's a Ranger.... RTB belongs to TRADOC, the Training and Doctrine Command. the 75th Ranger Regt. belongs to USASOC, US Army Special Operations Command.

you don't have to have a tab to be a Ranger. you have to have a tab to be a Ranger leader in a Ranger unit, unless you're in a support MOS. that just means you won't go to Ranger school as soon, but you'll likely get your chance if you stay long enough. we had cooks, commo, supply NCOs, mechanics with tabs. medics probably went to school faster than anyone but 11 series guys.

service in a Ranger unit makes you a Ranger.

having a Ranger tabs makes you a Ranger or just Ranger Qualified depending on who you ask.

some tab holders exploit that vagueness outside of the Army to inflate their reps. some believe they're as Ranger as a Batt boy.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Our new posting rules