SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 22 June 2020, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
It looks like it will cost me about $50k to have Tesla install their power roof (replaces the shingles, completely new roof). $23k if I went with panels.

The benefit of the tiled roof is that things like hail and falling branches won't effect it (at least, not easily). It also has a 20y guarantee. I need to run the numbers first though.

Powerwall seems too expensive for what you'll get.
Thanks for the numbers. Currently, I owe about $50k left on my house before it's paid off. We have been thinking about whether we are wanting to stay where we are or buy land and build which puts a lot into play concerning which route I would want to go.
Old 22 June 2020, 13:42
Never to old to learn

IT all depends on where you live solar power in some states will be changing in a few years. depending where you live In CA. over the next few years the cost you safe will be less. Open the links an select a zip Code It might give you an up date on your area.

I have heard good an Bad about the insulation of the solar panels. Good Luck

https://news.energysage.com/resident...anels-for-home

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...Hbb7BBLES6k9s-
Old 22 June 2020, 15:18
Grinder Monkey

I'm a big proponent of off grid solar but having grid tied solar is a huge headache in my experience. If you are looking into Tesla or lithium batteries be sure to search "venting with fire" and my favorite, "rapid self disassembly" before you make that leap. In some states when the grid goes out, you cannot legally use your solar if it's grid tied, be aware.
Old 22 June 2020, 16:13
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Thanks for the numbers. Currently, I owe about $50k left on my house before it's paid off. We have been thinking about whether we are wanting to stay where we are or buy land and build which puts a lot into play concerning which route I would want to go.
I would buy the land and then invest in the solar. Otherwise you will be the neighborhood battery pack.
Old 22 June 2020, 16:14
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
I'm a big proponent of off grid solar but having grid tied solar is a huge headache in my experience. If you are looking into Tesla or lithium batteries be sure to search "venting with fire" and my favorite, "rapid self disassembly" before you make that leap. In some states when the grid goes out, you cannot legally use your solar if it's grid tied, be aware.
Just pull the meter. No one gets hurt. Why they would pass legislation is.... uh well never wind.
Old 22 June 2020, 16:27
exquisitus asinus

Im considering solar on a much smaller scale..

I've got a little cabin in southern colorado that is completely off the grid.. im a full 10 miles from the closest powerline..

Im not looking to power an entire "house".. just looking to maybe run a small fan in the summer, and a couple of 40 watt light bulbs.. and maybe charge a cell phone or a power tool like a battery operated drill...

The key for me is whatever I go with needs to generate and store enough power to do the above tasks.. but at the same time needs to be portable/storable so when I leave the cabin I can lock the system inside the cabin until the next visit (the place I am at is super remote.. but there have been problems with people breaking into cabins and/or literally stealing anything left outside they can find.. thieves have no shit stolen the exterior pipes for wood burning stoves, grills, lawn chairs, and even firewood from outside peoples cabins.. if they saw a solar power system sitting on top of a cabin that was unoccupied I am sure it would be irresistable..

Anyone have any thoughts on a reasonably affordable system that meets the above requirements?
Old 22 June 2020, 17:07
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Im considering solar on a much smaller scale..

I've got a little cabin in southern colorado that is completely off the grid.. im a full 10 miles from the closest powerline..

Im not looking to power an entire "house".. just looking to maybe run a small fan in the summer, and a couple of 40 watt light bulbs.. and maybe charge a cell phone or a power tool like a battery operated drill...

The key for me is whatever I go with needs to generate and store enough power to do the above tasks.. but at the same time needs to be portable/storable so when I leave the cabin I can lock the system inside the cabin until the next visit (the place I am at is super remote.. but there have been problems with people breaking into cabins and/or literally stealing anything left outside they can find.. thieves have no shit stolen the exterior pipes for wood burning stoves, grills, lawn chairs, and even firewood from outside peoples cabins.. if they saw a solar power system sitting on top of a cabin that was unoccupied I am sure it would be irresistable..

Anyone have any thoughts on a reasonably affordable system that meets the above requirements?
I'd recommend 200-400 watts of panels, an mppt charge controller and a set of golf cart batteries with around 200ah of storage. You will also need a good inverter. You can probably get everything you need for about $750.00 without cheaping out.

Here is a great resource from the DIYsolar forum.

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
Old 22 June 2020, 17:20
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Just pull the meter. No one gets hurt. Why they would pass legislation is.... uh well never wind.
I agree but it's a definite no no in some places. Solar is under attack from several directions. The New England Ratepayers Association (NERA) has recently filed petition with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to basically do away with net-metering across the United States, as a federal law it would supersede state law. They also want to tax solar owners who are off grid.
Old 22 June 2020, 21:47
Never to old to learn

A little on the $$ side but look at what it can do
web link

https://4patriots.com/
Old 22 June 2020, 22:45
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
A little on the $$ side but look at what it can do
web link

https://4patriots.com/
Yikes, they don't list the battery specs \ inverter specs but I build those fairly regularly and they're easy and cheap. I have one I use at shows that fits in an old ammo can and another I carry to my favorite grinding spot by a stream above our cabin.

Here is a simple instructional to make your own in about 5 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eeZUexO6C6c
Old 23 June 2020, 00:01
The atomic zit

My math is easy, for an urban home on the grid. We spend about $2,500/yr on electricity in a cooling climate, bump that to $3,000/yr including natural gas, when heating.

3k/yr x 7yr payback=$21K

The technology has is coming, getting cheaper. I donít think it will make/save us any money anytime soon.
Old 23 June 2020, 00:06
Nurse Ratched

Iíve been following this guys YouTube channel for over a year. Hoping to do my entire roof on my shipping container house with used solar panels and be totally off grid. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/al...-packages.html

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 21 August 2020, 17:55
Authorized Personnel

So, I'm going to go with Tesla and their Solar Panels (not SolarRoof) and several Powerwalls (7 days storage of energy in the event of a significant outage). It's going to cost me around ~20k upfront, but with the 26% tax credit that is active until December 31, I'll end up paying around ~$15k. No brainer. In addition to the savings from my normal energy bill, I'll likely get paid a little for feeding back into the grid. The system will pay for itself in no time, and I'll add some decent value if/when I decide to sell. My roof isn't old, but it it were, I might have sprung for the SolarRoof. As it stands, my panels will start to wane a little once the roof needs to be redone anyways.

Pretty stoked. This is my kind of nerdy.

Quote:
A solar PV system must be installed before December 31, 2019, to claim a 30% credit. It will decrease to 26% for systems installed in 2020 and to 22% for systems installed in 2021. And the tax credit expires starting in 2022 unless Congress renews it.
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...Solar%20PV.pdf

My price jumps to ~$24k if I want to go 100% off-grid. Meaning, enough Solar Panels to be self-sufficient. To be honest, that's pretty awesome too.

Last edited by CV; 21 August 2020 at 18:07.
Old 22 August 2020, 09:11
exquisitus asinus

youre much more advanced than I am...

It took me a couple of days just to figure out how to hook up solar to a couple of my deer feeders lol..
Old 15 October 2020, 09:08
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Off to the races. Install day.

Old 15 October 2020, 11:46
Long in tooth and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Off to the races. Install day.

I have been holding off to pull the trigger on this exact setup until someone I knew had some reviews or thoughts on things they were glad they did vs. things they wish they had. Please keep the post updated as you can on your thoughts and progress. Much appreciated. I have done quite a bit of research but have not contacted Tesla... yet. I think the walls are the coolest thing since crunchy Jif.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

ďA little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.Ē -Francis Bacon
Old 15 October 2020, 12:26
Old Scroll

CV, how many panels are you putting in? I've got 24 panels for a total of 6720 watts, and we're about 2/3rds free of the grid / my bills are 2/3rds of my similar neighbors. 1550 sq/ft home.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 October 2020, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenonburnout View Post
I have been holding off to pull the trigger on this exact setup until someone I knew had some reviews or thoughts on things they were glad they did vs. things they wish they had. Please keep the post updated as you can on your thoughts and progress. Much appreciated. I have done quite a bit of research but have not contacted Tesla... yet. I think the walls are the coolest thing since crunchy Jif.
I will definitely provide a solid update. Probably a new thread on what I had installed, to include cost breakdowns, and what when right and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
CV, how many panels are you putting in? I've got 24 panels for a total of 6720 watts, and we're about 2/3rds free of the grid / my bills are 2/3rds of my similar neighbors. 1550 sq/ft home.
36 panels on a 12.24 kW system with 2 Powerwalls.
~2000 sq. ft. home.
Estimated annual production of ~15731 kWh

This should cover ~90% I'm guessing, but I'll have the numbers to back that up shortly.
Old 18 October 2020, 13:24
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Okay, maybe not a new thread as there's no need.

The system install took ~1.5 days. Technically, I'm supposed to wait for the final city inspection before turning it on, but I'm a nerd and will play dumb when they come out.

Yesterday, I was mostly solar-powered. It was a cloudy day, so it took some time to charge up my Powerwalls--ending up at ~80% by day's end. Note, my house was being 100% powered by solar while the Powerwalls were being charged, so super win-win.

Next, all power to my home was supplied by the Powerwalls after the sun went down. Zippy from the electric coop. When I woke up, the Powerwalls were drained down to ~68%. Today is bright and sunny, so the Powerwalls charged up really quickly. All the excess that my system is producing is being back-fed to the grid, which will grant me some credits. Once I establish a formal net metering agreement with my power coop, I'll be paid for anything excess.

Item of note, my AC isn't running in this pic. If it were, I would be consuming closer to 4.5 kW with a ~10 year old HVAC. So, I would still be net metering, and completely self-sufficient.

-6.8 kW means I am feeding excess energy back into the grid.

--

Edit to add: pic of my system with ice cold AC blasting...

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 12.16.46 PM.png (108.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by CV; 18 October 2020 at 13:40.
Old 18 October 2020, 13:31
In Vino Veritas

Can you take some pics of the actual set up? How much space is it taking up and where in your house.

Our new posting rules