SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 27 January 2017, 16:16
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
My wife also asked how many members of SOCNET flew gunships in the Delta at the same time I was there.

None to my knowledge...So, one more reason to record some of the stuff in my head.

As someone else said, VN was a long time ago, and I go there every day.
I'll buy the beer, you tell the stories! I could listen all day!
Old 27 January 2017, 20:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'll write more. You guys tell me if I am becoming repetitious, or boring.
Your experiences are never boring. Keep writing Terry. You would be surprised how much of a following you have here.

Karl Childers
Old 27 January 2017, 20:57
Confronting the Reckoning

Were all of your missions Army only, or did you ever assist the Navy on their swift boats?
Old 27 January 2017, 21:25
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Were all of your missions Army only, or did you ever assist the Navy on their swift boats?

Normally the Navy Seawolves covered Navy missions.

That's a good question. I flew on a couple of SEAL opns.

I also saved John Kerry's life. A fact he repeated to his wife, and mine, and everyone at his table. The location was the National Building Museum, the occasion was the formal presentation of the National Medal Of Science to my wife Nancy.

That's another story, and not a very long one.

Last edited by CPTAUSRET; 27 January 2017 at 21:54.
Old 27 January 2017, 21:26
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Your experiences are never boring. Keep writing Terry. You would be surprised how much of a following you have here.
That's a nice thing to say, thanks buddy.
Old 27 January 2017, 21:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 27 January 2017, 23:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
I also saved John Kerry's life. A fact he repeated to his wife, and mine, and everyone at his table. The location was the National Building Museum, the occasion was the formal presentation of the National Medal Of Science to my wife Nancy.

That's another story, and not a very long one.
LOL!! I remember the story you posted here a few years back.
Old 27 January 2017, 23:30
Been There Done That

Question here. Based on several VN era movies I have heard the term "Dai We". It has been portrayed as a term for Captain or Commander. After further research I found that Dai We is actually Korean for Captain and would have been an insult to any S. Vietnamese Commander. Is this true?

Karl Childers
Old 28 January 2017, 08:44
BTDT

Quote:
Question here. Based on several VN era movies I have heard the term "Dai We". It has been portrayed as a term for Captain or Commander. After further research I found that Dai We is actually Korean for Captain and would have been an insult to any S. Vietnamese Commander. Is this true?
Not that I am aware of. I heard it used often, and in both directions.
Old 28 January 2017, 08:55
BTDT

Writing stories from 50 years ago can be problematic, my memory may not be factual in all cases.

Below is from a story on Versace I found by fact checking my self.

The movement to honor the memory of Rocky Versace with the Medal of Honor nearly bore fruit in 1969, when Rowe, who had successfully escaped from the prison camp on December 31, 1968, received a meeting with President Nixon. For nearly an hour in the Oval Office, Rowe told Nixon the story of Versace and spared no details.
Col. Ray Nutter, an Army congressional liaison officer, also attended the meeting.
“Mr. Nixon wasn’t really prepared for what Nick had to say,” recalled Nutter. “I don’t think any of us were. Maybe later, we got hardened to this sort of thing. But in ’69, to hear the story Nick told was very emotional.
“When Major Rowe was finished, the President didn’t say anything. He was very emotionally moved. He got up and shook the major’s hand, gave him a hug and had tears in his eyes. He said it was one of the most amazing stories he had ever heard. He turned to me and said, ‘Did you understand what the major wanted?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ He said, ‘Can you take care of this, Colonel?’ And I said, ‘After being in here, sir, I can take care of most anything.’"
As it turned out, “most” was the key word. The submission was not replied to for two years, and was ultimately refused in 1971, a victim of the political atmosphere of the time.
“Let’s face it, it was ’71,” Steve Versace said. “No one was in the mood to do anything about Vietnam in ’71.”
Old 31 January 2017, 09:36
Still Learning!

Quote:
I type Versace's name and I tear up. If you don't know his story look it up. Hope I didn't go on too long.
Wow. I didn't know his story and had to look him up. What a stud and example to us all.

The crazy thing, is that the city of Alexandria named a small plaza in his honor. When I looked it up to see where it was at, it is literally right around the corner from my house in Delray. There is a statue of his likeness, with children in front of the Mount Vernon Rec Center. I've looked at the statue probably hundreds of times. Since it is in front of the rec center and I have no children who use it, I never walked close enough to read the plaque. I am having dinner with the soon to be ex tonight at the house. I will make a point to stop by there and see the statue. It is dedicated to the 67 men from Alexandria that died during the Vietnam War. Photo here:

http://www.visitalexandriava.com/listings/captain-rocky-versace-plaza-and-vietnam-veterans-memorial/1577/
Old 31 January 2017, 09:38
Still Learning!

[QUOTE=CPTAUSRET;1058627514]Writing stories from 50 years ago can be problematic, my memory may not be factual in all cases.
[QUOTE]

Keep writing...
Old 31 January 2017, 12:20
Been There Done That

Thanks for sharing your story on SOCNET sir. No need to do a hover check here. Keep writing sir.
Old 31 January 2017, 15:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
I have been asked several times to write a book. My wife who is a Neuroscientist, and writer has even offered to co-author it with me...If I were sitting across from a friend, I could tell stories, but putting it out there for strangers, doesn't work for me. SOCNET is where my friends hang out.

Look up Nancy Andreasen, for kicks.

For me it was my Crew Chief. Perhaps my terminology is incorrect.

Thanks for the question.
Please take your wife up on her offer! Your wife is an outstanding author, and will get your words across. Do it! We need this history preserved. Please.
Old 31 January 2017, 16:03
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Please take your wife up on her offer! Your wife is an outstanding author, and will get your words across. Do it! We need this history preserved. Please.
+1000
Old 26 March 2017, 09:36
Still Learning!

These are overdue, but better late than never. Captain Versace, Alexandria, VA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1200.jpg (33.5 KB, 310 views)
Old 27 March 2017, 16:38
Been There Done That

Keep up the writing CPT A. Miss your stories.

Karl Childers
Old 2 April 2017, 19:41
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My dad retired from the Marines in 1972 after 22 years in the infantry including three deployments to Vietnam. I was going on 4 years old when he retired, so I remember virtually nothing of life on military bases, but he never stopped being a Marine. He would frequently refer to things he had done and seen as well as people he knew in the military, but he seldom mentioned Vietnam other than things about the weather, food, wildlife, etc. On rare occasions (usually late night talks on the porch after he'd had a drink or two) he would tell a story about something he experienced there, but that didn't happen often.

When I was in 8th or 9th grade, one day I discovered a thin notebook on top of a laundry room cabinet; I had never seen it before, and there was dust on top of it as if it had been there for quite some time. Inside I found, in my dad's handwriting, a long list of American names next to a list of foreign names and dates. There was also a poem of about 4 stanzas of approximately 4 to 6 lines each entitled On a Hill Near Con Thien. The poem begins with a gunny (my dad was one) describing his men and admonishing them to dig their holes deeper, to add more sandbags, and to stay alert, but knowing in his heart that they will slack off when his back is turned. An attack comes, described as all noise, violence, and confusion. The attack is repulsed, but all his men are either dead or wounded. At the end of the poem, the gunny is sitting on the hillside crying with his gun to his head.

That's what I can remember having only seen the notebook once. I carefully put it back, but when I checked on it the next day it was gone, and I never saw it again. He didn't say anything about it. I looked up the few foreign names I could remember from the list, and they were all villages in South Vietnam. When I had graduated from high school and was going into the Navy, I asked him about the notebook, but he just changed the subject. When he was on his deathbed in 2007 I asked him one last time about it, but he just smiled.

Terry, I respect my dad's decision not to talk about things just as I respect your decision either way. As long as you are willing and able to write, there will always be an audience of at least me.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 2 April 2017, 20:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
My dad retired from the Marines in 1972 after 22 years in the infantry including three deployments to Vietnam. I was going on 4 years old when he retired, so I remember virtually nothing of life on military bases, but he never stopped being a Marine. He would frequently refer to things he had done and seen as well as people he knew in the military, but he seldom mentioned Vietnam other than things about the weather, food, wildlife, etc. On rare occasions (usually late night talks on the porch after he'd had a drink or two) he would tell a story about something he experienced there, but that didn't happen often.

When I was in 8th or 9th grade, one day I discovered a thin notebook on top of a laundry room cabinet; I had never seen it before, and there was dust on top of it as if it had been there for quite some time. Inside I found, in my dad's handwriting, a long list of American names next to a list of foreign names and dates. There was also a poem of about 4 stanzas of approximately 4 to 6 lines each entitled On a Hill Near Con Thien. The poem begins with a gunny (my dad was one) describing his men and admonishing them to dig their holes deeper, to add more sandbags, and to stay alert, but knowing in his heart that they will slack off when his back is turned. An attack comes, described as all noise, violence, and confusion. The attack is repulsed, but all his men are either dead or wounded. At the end of the poem, the gunny is sitting on the hillside crying with his gun to his head.

That's what I can remember having only seen the notebook once. I carefully put it back, but when I checked on it the next day it was gone, and I never saw it again. He didn't say anything about it. I looked up the few foreign names I could remember from the list, and they were all villages in South Vietnam. When I had graduated from high school and was going into the Navy, I asked him about the notebook, but he just changed the subject. When he was on his deathbed in 2007 I asked him one last time about it, but he just smiled.

Terry, I respect my dad's decision not to talk about things just as I respect your decision either way. As long as you are willing and able to write, there will always be an audience of at least me.
Thanks for writing this. It helps to put things in perspective.

Have you read "MATTERHORN"? If you haven't you should give it a try, great book.

I read the book first then urged Nancy to read it, we both thought it was exceptional, and we each came at it from opposite sides of the spectrum.
Old 26 April 2017, 00:16
Been There Done That

Terry,
Here is an article from 'War History Online' about Roque Versace. It was on my FB feed this evening.
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/viet...l-ofhonor.html

Our new posting rules