SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 June 2018, 10:28
0311/8651

Royal Enfield
A rifle? :wink
Old 24 June 2018, 14:06
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
What's a Royal Enfield?
Royal Enfield

The original British company went out of business but the Indians still manufacture them on license. Unfortunately you can't import them because they are super cheap there, but as of a couple years ago there is a US headquarters in Milwaukee.

I have absolutely no need for one so I'll post pictures when I decide which one I'm getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Royal Enfield
A rifle? :wink
You know it. Company motto:

Last edited by hawkdrver; 24 June 2018 at 14:11.
Old 24 June 2018, 14:39
0311/8651

Nice bike
Indian is coming out with street legal FTR1200!not sure exactly what that entails?
My Scout 60 does me just fine.
Old 24 June 2018, 15:18
BTDT

The Royal Enfield Himalayan made for the US is supposed to be a very capable "Adventure Bike" (on/off road) despite its rather low horsepower. Apparently, the made for India models were not well received due to poor build quality, and they decided to fix this before they released them in the US. They are available in the US since earlier this year through about 80 dealers nationwide and have some pretty good reviews on advrider.xxx Several owners in Australia also reviewed the bike positively. I really like the "retro" look of the bike, and the price is great, if the bike turns out to be as durable as claimed.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 24 June 2018, 21:31
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
The Royal Enfield Himalayan made for the US is supposed to be a very capable "Adventure Bike" (on/off road) despite its rather low horsepower. Apparently, the made for India models were not well received due to poor build quality, and they decided to fix this before they released them in the US. They are available in the US since earlier this year through about 80 dealers nationwide and have some pretty good reviews on advrider.xxx Several owners in Australia also reviewed the bike positively. I really like the "retro" look of the bike, and the price is great, if the bike turns out to be as durable as claimed.
I haven't done a lot of research on the models available in India and Nepal other than I see them everywhere, they're cheap and apparently impossible to import, but the Asian market quality issue isn't surprising. From what I've seen, the models available in the US are reasonable enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort to try to import one anyway.

Another one I've thought about occasionally is a Ural, with or without sidecar.

I won't get into some of the other shit I have in my garage. I own a lot of .45 GAP but in motorized vehicles.
Old 24 June 2018, 23:54
Confirmed User

The Himalayan is the same model in all markets; simply it was released in India first, and then, after fixes, released to the rest of the world. A new Himalayan in India is the same bike as in US and EU. Traditionally, the differences between markets is in the exhaust emissions.
Old 3 July 2018, 21:33
Administrator

Meanwhile, at TFG's ranch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS01nVTDKuE

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 3 July 2018, 21:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Meanwhile, at TFG's ranch....
With enough road time I'm sure he'll appear in a later version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr2NTql7knk
Old 16 July 2018, 03:00
The Sagacious One

So I went on my first group ride with the Harley Owner's Group Yesterday. Only about 65 miles, but it was definitely different than what I was used to. I was near the back, you definitely have to pay attention, no mindless cruising. I met some good Americans and a few veterans. I am planning my first long distance trip. Almost at 2500 miles on my bike so far.
Old 16 July 2018, 03:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
So I went on my first group ride with the Harley Owner's Group Yesterday. Only about 65 miles, but it was definitely different than what I was used to.
So it was mostly heterosexual. Nice.

What are you looking at for the long distance trip?
Old 16 July 2018, 04:13
The Sagacious One

Initially, something 300 - 500 miles, like maybe to Branson and back. There is also a guy on Social Media named Adam Sandoval who rides across America to raise money for veterans. (He and Harley Davidson gave away 7 brand new bikes to veterans last year) He has a small campground in Oklahoma. I may ride down there, try and meet him, spend the night and come back.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 17 July 2018 at 08:50.
Old 16 July 2018, 06:32
Authorized Personnel

That sounds like an awesome trip.
Old 16 July 2018, 09:41
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Quote:
So I went on my first group ride with the Harley Owner's Group Yesterday.
Good on you, getting out there.

Tell me (since we get new riders that have never been in groups before) what did you find the most challenging during the group ride?

Also (sorry if you covered this earlier) did your bike have the power that the other bikes in the group had? sometimes I see new riders with us running smaller bikes and they have to lay into the throttle some to keep up.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:30
The Sagacious One

The challenges I had were constantly monitoring my mirrors and the group ahead, I had a few times I ran up on the guy to my left, but never overtook him or came side by side. As I said, you have to ride the entire time, no cruising and whistling to your self. Ref, the power, my bike has the 114 cubic inch Milwaukee 8 motor, so power was never an issue.

FWIW, I spent the few days before riding both on the left and right sides of the lane, as if I had someone to my off front and rear. That helped.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 17 July 2018 at 08:51.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Royal Enfield

The original British company went out of business but the Indians still manufacture them on license. Unfortunately you can't import them because they are super cheap there, but as of a couple years ago there is a US headquarters in Milwaukee.

I have absolutely no need for one so I'll post pictures when I decide which one I'm getting.

You know it. Company motto:

When I was backpacking/trekking around India made good friends with two Norwegians who had traveled to India and bought two Enfields then spent several months touring India. Very common it seems for many foreigners to do the same. 3-22 month long bike tours through India , and Nepal. Then either sell the bike when done or as my two friends did ship it back to Norway.

Cool bikes for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:55
The Sagacious One

Quote:
So it was mostly heterosexual. Nice.

What are you looking at for the long distance trip?
Sadly, there was a few pilots there, so the homosexuality was ever present.
Old 20 July 2018, 18:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
I haven't done a lot of research on the models available in India and Nepal other than I see them everywhere, they're cheap and apparently impossible to import, but the Asian market quality issue isn't surprising. From what I've seen, the models available in the US are reasonable enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort to try to import one anyway.

Another one I've thought about occasionally is a Ural, with or without sidecar.

I won't get into some of the other shit I have in my garage. I own a lot of .45 GAP but in motorized vehicles.
I am really liking the Urals with side car also. Get my Boxer a set of giggles and throw him in the side car and we are set! My brother had a vintage Chinese version with side car when he lived in Beijing, China several years ago. Use to throw his two youngest in the side car and race around the neighborhood and then down the street to Starbucks, McDonald's or ice cream with the kids. Great fun. He use to get a lot of waves and cheers from the Chinese. Lol

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 15 August 2018, 06:19
Authorized Personnel

I got a new seat for the bike from Sargent Seats. Game changer in terms of comfort. This is an odd-ball set up. Normally I ride with a 40L bag to carry all of my stuff

Old 15 August 2018, 07:18

^^
So clean! Do you even ride, bro?

You've got hard cases too, right? Lots of carry capacity - nice setup.

Yeah, seat upgrade. Overdue here, but it looks Sargent doesn't do F650 earlier than '08, which seems to be a common theme for aftermarket BMW gear.

On another note, I finally put together a FA kit for the bike, since I get a little twitchy without one nearby. Understanding space limits rule out a first-responder/blowout kit and that an IFAK for a wreck will only include things you can walk away from, I've got: two small chem cold packs, buncha Telfa sterile pads, 2% lido gel, small btl saline for rinse, gauze wrap, small Izzy, tape, small kerlix.
Enough for a road-rash fix. Any other ideas from folks?

DaveP
Old 15 August 2018, 07:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
^^
So clean! Do you even ride, bro?

You've got hard cases too, right? Lots of carry capacity - nice setup.

Yeah, seat upgrade. Overdue here, but it looks Sargent doesn't do F650 earlier than '08, which seems to be a common theme for aftermarket BMW gear.

On another note, I finally put together a FA kit for the bike, since I get a little twitchy without one nearby. Understanding space limits rule out a first-responder/blowout kit and that an IFAK for a wreck will only include things you can walk away from, I've got: two small chem cold packs, buncha Telfa sterile pads, 2% lido gel, small btl saline for rinse, gauze wrap, small Izzy, tape, small kerlix.
Enough for a road-rash fix. Any other ideas from folks?

DaveP
I just cleaned her up (literally just WD40 all over the bike and wiping it off ). I have panniers that are usually attached but took them off after I snapped a bolt on one. I just need to fix it and get them back on. They're mighty convenient!

Our new posting rules