SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 2 January 2018, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Ruffneck_Bohica - Might I suggest reading (in full):

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=82627
Thank you for this.
Old 2 January 2018, 09:52
Been There Done That

Might I also point out that you can have a choice of calibers with the changing of uppers- you can build your .300 AND have a 5.56 for home defense.

A simple change of the uppers will give you a 'different' rifle but as far as the BATFE is concerned, you only have 1- because the lower is the 'weapon'.

Like Sharky said, its like Legos- its a shame you can't change body parts like that
Old 2 January 2018, 21:46
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

While there are certainly "better" deer hunting rounds, I have to point out that .300 supersonic having roughly 125gr@2300fps or so is the ballistic equivalent of .30-30. (not to mention the Russian M43 round) Packaged in a Winchester '94, I think we can agree the combination has accounted for a LOT of deer.

I know a former Marine with multiple tours, now a SWAT team commander who hunts with .300 and you cannot get him to stop singing it's praises. He has seen many times what the right bullet in this load does when it hits.

Of course shot placement is everything. Another acquaintance who lives ITMOFN fills his freezer regularly with 9mm and 10mm both when they come to munch on leftovers in his wife's garden. They never seem to learn....or maybe it's that they never get a chance to warn their buddies....

And as Sharky says, M4 = Lego. Make sure not to skimp on tools specific to M4 assembly work, upper receiver block, barrel nut wrench, torque wrench, head space gauges etc.. It will go so much easier than trying to cobble stuff without it. Be a pro, not a "d'oh!" Even if you only ever build the one gun it's worth it.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 3 January 2018, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
And as Sharky says, M4 = Lego. Make sure not to skimp on tools specific to M4 assembly work, upper receiver block, barrel nut wrench, torque wrench, head space gauges etc.. It will go so much easier than trying to cobble stuff without it. Be a pro, not a "d'oh!" Even if you only ever build the one gun it's worth it.
Thanks for the info and already on collecting the tools. My brother and my father are also wanting to do builds themselves and we are sharing the cost of the tools to make it more affordable.
Old 3 January 2018, 19:34
Old Scroll

Kinda digging this new 7.5" side-charging .223 Wylde pistol upper I put together tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180103_181146.jpg (23.9 KB, 199 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 January 2018, 20:14

B 2/75 That is legit. Is that carbon fiber in the front or aluminum?
Old 5 January 2018, 09:43
Old Scroll

It's a knurled aluminum free-float handguard.

Yesterday evening I actually changed it from a 7" to a 9" (exact same handguard, just longer) and changed it from the A2 birdcage to a FirePig-style brake, and then sold it on another forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uppers for GunShow.jpg (47.1 KB, 168 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 5 January 2018, 12:29

I have another question to go along with this thread. Has anyone had any experience with the polymer lowers. I am seeing them for sale and have not done much research yet. Thought I would get some opinions here. Thanks again.
Old 5 January 2018, 12:37
Old Scroll

If you're going to go with an 80% lower, don't do it in plastic. They are better than they were, but still are not really up to snuff.

.02 kopecks

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 February 2018, 08:57

Update

Update on my build, I went with Palmetto State Armory and bought a 10 in 300 Blackout complete upper, Flash Can, slanted front end 12 in M-LOK hand guard with magpul back up sites. An 80% lower from Right to Bear Arms. Lower parts kit also from Palmetto State with a Shock Wave Blade pistol brace. Now to pick the optic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have used the Aimpoint M-68 and ACOG. Looking for something reliable / affordable in a CCO. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
If you're going to go with an 80% lower, don't do it in plastic. They are better than they were, but still are not really up to snuff.

.02 kopecks
Thanks, I went with forged Aluminium.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:55
Old Scroll

Four pistol uppers in the works, two 5.56 and two .300 BO. Of the 300s, one is 10.5" and one is 7.5". The 5.56 pistols are both 7.5", and of course the three shorties get the side-chargers.

Barrels and gas tubes arrive today or tomorrow. Later in the week when I'm a bit stronger I'll build them. The gunshow is in March.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180212_081907.jpg (32.5 KB, 108 views)

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 February 2018, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
Update on my build, I went with Palmetto State Armory and bought a 10 in 300 Blackout complete upper.
Correction 10.5 in
Old 12 February 2018, 11:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Update on my build, I went with Palmetto State Armory and bought a 10 in 300 Blackout complete upper, Flash Can, slanted front end 12 in M-LOK hand guard with magpul back up sites. An 80% lower from Right to Bear Arms. Lower parts kit also from Palmetto State with a Shock Wave Blade pistol brace. Now to pick the optic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have used the Aimpoint M-68 and ACOG. Looking for something reliable / affordable in a CCO. Thanks for the suggestions.
FYI, PSA does not use any loctite on gas block set screws. My 8.5 inch 300BLK gas block came loose. Gas all over the place, gun did not run etc etc.
Old 12 February 2018, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
FYI, PSA does not use any loctite on gas block set screws. My 8.5 inch 300BLK gas block came loose. Gas all over the place, gun did not run etc etc.
Once loctite was used did that fix the issue or did I just waist money
Old 12 February 2018, 12:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Once loctite was used did that fix the issue or did I just waist money
Runs great now. It was loosing so much gas, it was ugly. Took it into PSA here in Summerville SC, and an old due told me just take it home and add loctice, otherwise he would, and he wouldnt get to it for a few days...
Old 12 February 2018, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Runs great now. It was loosing so much gas, it was ugly. Took it into PSA here in Summerville SC, and an old due told me just take it home and add loctice, otherwise he would, and he wouldnt get to it for a few days...
Copy that. Still waiting on my lower parts kit and still need to mill out my 80% lower so I can get that handled before it is an issue. Thank for the heads up.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:50
Been There Done That

Slight derail as I see the company is mentioned in the thread: Did Magpul ever get their 2nd Amendment shit together?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 February 2018, 13:41
‹ber Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
300 Blackout was optimized for use with short barrels in the 8"-10" range. Anything longer than that gains nothing in velocity.
I didnt know this..

your post just helped me make up my mind on my next AR build..

I knew I was going the 300BLK route.. but was undecided on "pistol" v "rifle"..

pistol with a 10.5" upper it is!

Thanks!
Old 12 February 2018, 14:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Slight derail as I see the company is mentioned in the thread: Did Magpul ever get their 2nd Amendment shit together?
I believed they moved out of CO?

Our new posting rules