Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 7 February 2018, 09:10
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 View Post
Yeah I have tried a variety of mags including Wilsons and CMCs which are always highly recommended. I have run through every "easy solution" and it is still doing it. Yes, I clean all of my weapons exceedingly well, and before my last range trip I got it spotless and even removed the extractor and cleaned that and the extractor channel. Then lubed it up good and slick. Oh well, hopefully Dan Wesson can make it right.
While you were up to your elbows in your guns ovaries, did you check the tension on your extractor? There are a bajillion, maybe a bajillion and a half Youtubes on this.
Old 7 February 2018, 09:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Ah, my favorite gunsmithing trick.
Disassemble, coat the rails and frame with the old white gritty toothpaste. Reassemble and run the action about 200 x or so until the TP gets grey and dry, clean, repeat, clean and oil and reassemble. If you look at the rails and your slide, you will see some small striations where the metal was polished. I do this to all of my 1911's.

You know, I cannot help but think that this post, (white and gritty, grey and dry) reminds of of SilverBullet.
Hawkeye175 The above is the TFG method.

I used it partially myself on my VEPR 12GA. I didn't add the toothpaste, just degreased it totally and ran several mags thru it. It went from finicky to, Eats everything in one short session.

SEAL-1 after a clean-up.
Old 7 February 2018, 09:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
While you were up to your elbows in your guns ovaries, did you check the tension on your extractor? There are a bajillion, maybe a bajillion and a half Youtubes on this.
I had this issue on an early Detonics, small 1911 back in the day, 1/75 SOT grad fixed me right up.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 7 February 2018, 10:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Just don't ever invite gavin to come make repairs as he is A, a medic and should not own weaponry and B, if he does not understand the functionality or other aspects of said weaponry (As in the superiority of the caliber you select), he will bury it in your yard somewhere, so there's that.
All true. No need to waste money on guns, since TFG leaves his lying all over his property, I just take a couple with me after I change his Depends and clean the creamed broccoli out of his beard ("Gerber" ain't knives as far as TFG is concerned). Every now and then I even find a pistol chambered in a caliber I've heard of, and I usually bury those, for the children.

TFG's tried-and-true toothpaste break-in method for 1911s works quite well, especially if you use toothpaste. A couple of times he has used Poligrip, and then complains because he has a hard time getting the mags into the mag well.
Old 7 February 2018, 10:50
Been There Done That

^Lmao!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 February 2018, 12:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 View Post
Pretty poopy, gotta send my Dan Wesson in after the range today, it hasn't been chambering consistently for a while and I have tried all of the tricks I know. Did it twice in 25 rounds today at the range. Shame, because other than this, the gun is amazing. I have heard good things about Dan Wesson customer service though so hopefully they get my gun running smooth.
5"?
ramped barrel or not?
is the round stuck between rear of slide and ramp? Or is it partially in the chamber?

Magazines are the most common problem for FTF. I know you tried other mags. I assume you also checked those other mags in different pistols to ensure all are OK. Magazines are a disposable item. Even the high end ones.

Ammo is next most common constributor. Different feed lengths and overall cartridge lengths can cause issues. A well built pistol should feed with most types, but always check with 230gr ball loaded to GI specs.

Shorter guns tend to be more reliable with lighter bullets.

If you have another magazine catch, you can try switching that out. If the cut that actually holds the magazine at the correct height is too low, it can cause failure to feed.

Check feed ramp area. Look for any burrs or patches of roughness.
Old 7 February 2018, 15:45
Bitter old man.

I recommend a Wilson Flatwire spring kit. I use them in all my 1911s.
Old 7 February 2018, 16:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
5"?...ramped barrel or not...is the round stuck between rear of slide and ramp? Or is it partially in the chamber?
Hawkeye- Somewhere back in this thread I wrote about shorter 1911 slides outrunning the mag spring. Is your Dan Wesson slide shorter than 4"?
Old 12 February 2018, 19:48
Über Equus Asinus

Someone school me on 9mm 1911 variants..

I've owned several make/models of the 1911 over the years (maybe a dozen different pistols).. everything from an old WWII era government model made by singer sewing machine, to Springfield TRP's, to my current Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II... all have been .45 ACP's though..

I just came into possession of a Kimber CDP II in 9mm today..

Online reviews seem good to great on the 9mm.. and I really like my CDP II in .45.. never had a single problem out of it...

Just wondering if there is anything noticeably different (outside of the obvious smaller holes, lighter recoil, etc).. Are the 9mm's generally just as reliable? are they picky eaters (my .45 CDP will eat anything I feed it)? etc..etc..
Old 12 February 2018, 19:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Someone school me on 9mm 1911 variants..

I've owned several make/models of the 1911 over the years (maybe a dozen different pistols).. everything from an old WWII era government model made by singer sewing machine, to Springfield TRP's, to my current Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II... all have been .45 ACP's though..

I just came into possession of a Kimber CDP II in 9mm today..

Online reviews seem good to great on the 9mm.. and I really like my CDP II in .45.. never had a single problem out of it...

Just wondering if there is anything noticeably different (outside of the obvious smaller holes, lighter recoil, etc).. Are the 9mm's generally just as reliable? are they picky eaters (my .45 CDP will eat anything I feed it)? etc..etc..
Get some Wilson Combat ETM mags for it. IMO humble opinion most of the issues with 9mm 1911s from quality manufacturers are mag issues. Then play with it and figure out what bullet designs it is good with (might be good with everything, but some need rounds with a good ogive). I avoid +P 9mm with 1911s (as slide velocity can be an issue to start with, no need to increase it even more).
Old 12 February 2018, 20:08
Über Equus Asinus

Roger.. I pretty much only run wilson or mccormick mags for my .45's (I think factory kimber mags are mccormicks too?).. I've only got the 2 mags that came with the 9mm.. So Ill grab a couple of wilsons and see how that works out..

The gun probably only has 200 rounds through it so far.. Im guessing its not close to being broken in yet.. I'll run a few hundred rounds of plan old winchester white box ball ammo through it, and then test out some personal defense loads..

My G19's shoot remington 147gr golden saber really well.. I've got several hundred rounds of that laying around.. I'm hoping the CDP likes those also.. it would make things simpler/easier..

It will be fun testing it out if nothing else..

Our new posting rules