Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 February 2018, 18:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sounds like something a Ranger School instructor would advise........oh, wait.

Look on the bright side 1Riserslip...at lest you did not drop it into the porta john like happens frequently with many of our new millennial soldiers.
Yea, I know. I normally don't loose shit.

I had to go to android.com/find. It couldn't pick it up so obviously the battery is dead by now. But that site erases everything on your phone if it is found and turned on.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 February 2018, 18:16
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
I hate State Farm, and tell everyone in no uncertain terms. 29 years ago, when I got divorced from my first wife at the tender age of 23, we only had 1 car. She got it. I was riding a bike to work or getting rides, until I saved enough money to buy a car. I got the car, called the same agent I had when married. Got insurance. Get a letter in the mail a month later, saying they're dropping me. I call agent, ask why. He says because I didn't have car insurance last year. I tell him, of course not, I didn't have a car to insure. He says it doesn't matter, State Farm looks at it like I was driving around with no insurance.
So , they drop me, I call around for insurance from other agencies, and now I'm told, that because I was dropped by an insurance carrier, I have to get high risk. Sweet, thanks State Farm, I'm now paying like $100 a month for high risk, liability insurance for a 10 year old car.(this is 1991) Shit, I'm working 2 jobs and can barely feed myself. Fuck State farm.
Almost same as my experience with them too as a Young Sailor. Got two cars covered. 3 Months later, cancelled; "Can't have two sports cars!" Right, Trans-Am and a Celica. LOL. And same, high risk Insurance for a one year penalty for being cancelled. AssHOLES!

Farm Bureau ever since.
Old 15 February 2018, 22:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I don't want to hear any 550 cord wise cracks.
I'm surprised more companies don't make dummy cords for cell phones. Seems like it'd solve a lot of problems.
Old 18 February 2018, 15:35
Confirmed User

Having a tooth break in half a few minutes ago. Dentist did root canal about 5 weeks ago, and crown is supposed to be done in 7 days. No pain, but cant bite quite right due to tooth next to it being sharp. Its the top left second to last..Ughh
Old 18 February 2018, 22:20
Been There Done That

Fire ants.

For the last thirty years of his life, my father lived and worked in deep south Alabama. For most of those years he was a Scoutmaster and had thirty years of attempting to deal with them in his yard and out on scouting treks.

I don't know how you folks down there can stand to live with the little devils.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 18 February 2018, 22:26
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Fire ants.

For the last thirty years of his life, my father lived and worked in deep south Alabama. For most of those years he was a Scoutmaster and had thirty years of attempting to deal with them in his yard and out on scouting treks.

I don't know how you folks down there can stand to live with the little devils.
Too bad you can't melt down aluminum.
Old 18 February 2018, 22:36
Been There Done That

They are bad in the south. I've got eat up more than once from the little bastards.

It's takes napalm or some serious chemicals to get rid of them. They are very resilient. They even group together to make a floating ant hive if flooded and just relocate when their little raft eventually hits dry land.

Old 18 February 2018, 22:48

How are the sand gnats there in Alabama? They suck here in coastal GA, it is unbearable at times and you have to use 90%+ DEET to keep them off of you.
Old 19 February 2018, 01:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
They are bad in the south. I've got eat up more than once from the little bastards.

It's takes napalm or some serious chemicals to get rid of them. They are very resilient. They even group together to make a floating ant hive if flooded and just relocate when their little raft eventually hits dry land.
Yep they sure do. Which led to this process:
Flood em out
Watch em float
500,000 BTU propane burner until satisfied
Repeat with other mounds as necessary.

Grew up in Kentucky but have been in the more Southern states for a long portion of my life. Never had an issue with those fuckers after spending a day or so doing that. May have scared some neighbors along the way, but who cares?
Old 19 February 2018, 01:11
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I've learned to get used to fire ants, and they can have their uses. They are very efficient at removing the scraps of roadkill the buzzards and possums leave. Eradicating them is about as easy and productive as eradicating kudzu, so the goal is management - you'll never get rid of them all, so just try to keep their population somewhat limited with periodic genocidal episodes. I think meteors, volcanoes, etc. do the same kind of things to us.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 19 February 2018, 11:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Eradicating them is about as easy and productive as eradicating kudzu,.
I have heard one mitigating factor of kudzu is the thick roots can be processed to produce a starchy flour.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 19 February 2018, 16:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I have heard one mitigating factor of kudzu is the thick roots can be processed to produce a starchy flour.
Good to know when the SHTF.

Old 19 February 2018, 16:45
On the Extract Bird

Convince the chinese that dick medicine can be made out of kudzu and watch how fast it disappears.
Old 19 February 2018, 22:58
Been There Done That

Isnt that where we got it from for erosion?

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.

Our new posting rules