SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 16 February 2017, 15:16
I aim to misbehave

Didn't get much time to work on it yesterday, as I had to take my Catahoula for a $450 vet visit. I'm not terribly happy at the moment...but, such is life.

Yeah, the draw weight on some of the traditional English longbows is incredible. If I can ever get some English yew, I've thought about trying to make a war bow...but I'll finish this project first and see how it goes.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 February 2017, 15:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
He does sell osage staves as well. If you're looking to cut your own, I'd suggest spending a great deal of time studying the bowyer's bible first, and get a very good idea of what to look for in a stave...otherwise, it's a helluva thing to wait 2 years and make a bow that splinters under full draw.
I bought a rough cut Osage 2"x8"x8' board from Local Wood in Berryville, VA for $60. I dont know how great a price that is or if it suitable for something you could make a bow out of.

http://www.localwoodva.com/
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 16 February 2017, 15:31
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I bought a rough cut Osage 2"x8"x8' board from Local Wood in Berryville, VA for $60. I dont know how great a price that is or if it suitable for something you could make a bow out of.

http://www.localwoodva.com/
It could be just fine...I've seen plenty of good bow wood in lumber yards and such. The benefit of buying a stave from a bowyer is that he has already selected the staves, so in theory, you don't have to put in the time and effort to find the right one.

That is all to say, you might have a perfectly solid bow stave there at a helluva price. I'd have to get a good look at the grain to say for sure.

If I were going to buy from the link you posted, I'd probably want to stop by first and try to give the seller a good idea of what I look for in a stave, and ask him to set those pieces aside for me. Otherwise, it's hard to know what you're getting when you order sight-unseen...that said, if I pass through NOVA anytime soon, that's exactly what I'll do. Would be nice to have a more reasonably priced source of bow wood.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 February 2017, 16:04
Administrator

Quote:
It could be just fine...I've seen plenty of good bow wood in lumber yards and such. The benefit of buying a stave from a bowyer is that he has already selected the staves, so in theory, you don't have to put in the time and effort to find the right one.

That is all to say, you might have a perfectly solid bow stave there at a helluva price. I'd have to get a good look at the grain to say for sure.

If I were going to buy from the link you posted, I'd probably want to stop by first and try to give the seller a good idea of what I look for in a stave, and ask him to set those pieces aside for me. Otherwise, it's hard to know what you're getting when you order sight-unseen...that said, if I pass through NOVA anytime soon, that's exactly what I'll do. Would be nice to have a more reasonably priced source of bow wood.
Happy to help. I have bought stuff from them several times and they are good people. Also, FYI they sell hand forged iron stuff too like fireplace tools, shelf brackets, hooks, etc. The blacksmith that makes the iron stuff is a former MACV-SOG SF guy. Had some great conversations with him.

-ZZ Top
Old 16 February 2017, 18:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Rough-cutting mostly complete. Basically smoothing everything out with a block plane and a set of rasps.

Do have cabinet scrappers yet?
Old 16 February 2017, 18:50
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold1 View Post
Do have cabinet scrappers yet?
Not yet...trying to limit my financial contributions to this endeavour: 1 new tool every few months is about all I get without going over budget.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 February 2017, 20:19
Confirmed User

$12 and prime shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D329...binet+scrpaers

Makes fine tillering easier
Old 19 February 2017, 01:07
Aww F**K it

Very cool thread. I'll be following this one. I've always been interested in making my own bow.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 19 February 2017, 01:53
Confirmed User

BOFH, great thread. Following with great interest.

ETA. Is there a way to seal it naturally, or is it left as is?
Old 19 February 2017, 18:30
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
BOFH, great thread. Following with great interest.

ETA. Is there a way to seal it naturally, or is it left as is?
I am making this particular bow as primitive as possible, so I'm sealing it with rendered fat and beeswax. As far as I know there are a huge number of different sealants used by a lot of bowyers...but I want to keep this one as primitive as I can.

While true:
Continue
Old 20 February 2017, 05:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
I am making this particular bow as primitive as possible, so I'm sealing it with rendered fat and beeswax. As far as I know there are a huge number of different sealants used by a lot of bowyers...but I want to keep this one as primitive as I can.
I hear you on the primitive aspect. I didn't know about the rendered fat use, learned something new. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Good luck!
Old 13 March 2017, 13:04
I aim to misbehave

I still need to spend some time refining the handle, and I haven't sealed it yet, but it's shooting pretty well and didn't take too much "set." Someone liked it enough to ask me to make one for his dad's birthday, so I guess that's a good sign.

bow_1.jpg

While true:
Continue
Old 13 March 2017, 13:10
Been There Done That

Head down, fist held to the air in admiration...outstanding!!
Old 13 March 2017, 13:22
Administrator

That is fairly bad ass.

-ZZ Top
Old 13 March 2017, 17:53
Been There Done That

I see dead deer.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 March 2017, 18:03
Confirmed User

Outsanding! It looks great, we need more pics. Whats the details of length of pull and weight at pull? Brace height might be a little high.
Old 13 March 2017, 21:13
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold1 View Post
Outsanding! It looks great, we need more pics. Whats the details of length of pull and weight at pull? Brace height might be a little high.
I wanted higher than normal brace height, but not that high. Hasn't affected the way it shoots, though, so I really can't complain. Pulling about 70lbs at 29" (which will chew your fingers up quick, fast, and in a hurry.)

String is B-50 string material, basic Flemish twist.

...and I'll get more pictures up soon. Been carving on other things since I finished the bow...made a spoon from white oak and a fork from hickory today, because I got bored.

While true:
Continue
Old 14 March 2017, 04:23
Livin' On Blues Power

very cool. Dont forget to sign it in case you head off to become a famous bowmaker.
Old 14 March 2017, 06:31
Confirmed User

Nice! I will wait for more pics.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:05
The Sagacious One

I moved this to the fieldcraft forum. Let's discuss non-compound bows here.

Our new posting rules