Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 21 February 2018, 12:03
Über Equus Asinus
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I'd take the bolt action 44 Mag 77/44 all week long and twice on Sunday vs the lever version.M

That is a dead sexy 44 or 357 mag option. I didnt even know that rifle existed... .

Looks like Cabelas offers them for $829.. which means you can probably find one somewhere else for $775ish..

Damn... now I might have to go spend some money..
There are no stupid questions... There are however a lot of inquisitive morons..
Old 21 February 2018, 12:52
Confirmed User
Awesome thread, great advice. I have only shot one lever action, a Winchester in 30-30
Old 21 February 2018, 16:47
Confirmed User
You all have my interest piqued. I have to sell some guns to get the money to get some .357 & .44 mag rifles....
Old 22 February 2018, 04:41
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
I've loved the answers in this thread!

We reload as well as cast our own bullets (boolits? who knows?) and have no issue adding a caliber to do that for. I showed her the answers in this thread and we have been discussing the SHTF thread quite a bit recently. She has her heart set on a few criteria rather than a specific model (thank God).

Criteria are: Stainless, 10rds in mag, able to mount rail for rds/scope, bigger lever (pavegnr, we are borrowing your idea of the leather wrapped lever). She isn't a gun person and while embracing it, she still wants to limit her own collection. So this one will be a keeper for her. Going to look at some Henry's, Rossi's and Marlin's next weekend.

As for reloading, I'll be starting over for either caliber so brass hunting season is open!
if you end up with 357 you might check out the 180 grain hard cast lead bullets. picked up some to handload for the ruger and thought they might be well suited for a rifle.
Old 22 February 2018, 20:57
Authorized Personnel
I have a marlin in 38/357 - the side ejection w/ the ability to mount an optic easily was the deciding factor for me over other lever platforms.

loading it up with .38 specials it is really fun to shoot. but going up to 124 gr +p .357s in it sends them at almost 2000 FPS and felt recoil isn't much more. A little louder for sure. It is pretty handy to have around.
"Everything government touches turns to crap." - Ringo Starr
Old 22 February 2018, 22:55
Confirmed User
I have a Blue Winchester 94AE lever action in 45LC with a 20" barrel. I would be willing to swap for a Stainless Rossi 16" barrel lever gun in 357/38 if anybody was interested plus a little cash based on which was worth more,....

Our new posting rules