SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 May 2020, 11:10
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Rioters in Minneapolis are so upset over the death of a black man at the hands of since-fired policemen that they showed their frustration by ...

... looting the local Target store. Video shows looters hauling out an air fryer, baby clothes, and bedding, among other stuff.

This is a long-established pattern with a certain demographic. Justifiable anger over a civil rights abuse is used to justify totally unrelated violence and thievery while the mainstream media looks the other way and Korean shop owners grab their shotguns. I've given up trying to find the logic in it all.

I do find it interesting, though, that the items being looted seldom include work boots, work gloves or books.
It all makes sense if you know the language. White cop kills innocent black man always means " flea bargain".
Old 28 May 2020, 11:16
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post

...This is a long-established pattern with a certain demographic...
The only "demographic" with which looting and stealing is a long-established pattern is the criminal demographic.

I'm sure that's what you meant.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 28 May 2020, 11:22
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The only "demographic" with which looting and stealing is a long-established pattern is the criminal demographic.

It's the thug demographic and they are everywhere.
Old 28 May 2020, 11:30
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

It's the thug demographic and they are everywhere.
Where I come from, "thugs" are criminals so unless you have a different definition of what a "thug" is, I'm not sure what your point is.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 28 May 2020, 11:32
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Where I come from, "thugs" are criminals so unless you have a different definition of what a "thug" is, I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is the same as yours, it's not necessarily the same demographic that you are implying he meant -- they are simply thugs taking advantage of a situation to commit crimes with impunity.
Old 28 May 2020, 12:11
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:

A better term than demographic would be subculture. It's a subset of society that sees no problem with living off the government tit while also having no regard for the laws of society nor the private property rights of others, yet are quick to take offense and claim discrimination if called out for those behaviors. It's a mindset much more common in poorer urban areas, but in a free society can be found most anywhere in lower concentrations. I think media makes it more racial than it really is because of the protest angle, but on a smaller scale you can find it manifested more widely, such as the targets of white Appalachian meth-head burglars are seldom work boots and books.

However, the specific subculture I was referring to is mostly black and has a unique feature not found elsewhere: while normal, responsible, honorable black people will call them out for their bad behavior and demand that they straighten up, those same good people become offended when anyone else comments about that subculture. The result is that anyone who isn't black but says anything about the miscreant black subculture is branded a racist, and anyone who is black and says the same things is branded an Uncle Tom. It's eerily similar to how saying anything about suicide bombers makes you a hater of all Arabs everywhere even though there are million reasons why that shouldn't make sense.

As for a pattern, I would refer to the riots in Watts, South Central LA, Ferguson MO, Cincinnati, and Baltimore, among many others. In each case there was a reasonable perception of the trampling of civil rights which led to justifiable protests by concerned citizens. In each case members of the subculture took advantage of the opportunity to loot unrelated items from businesses which were innocent bystanders. In each case the media called "racist" anyone who decried the looting. In each case the looters undermined the credibility of the protesters, and it is happening again in Minnesota, which is sad.

The thread is about things I'm tired of. I suspect that relatives of the dead man in Minnesota are tired of the looters' shenanigans, too. However, if they say that their public reputations will be destroyed, and I'm really tired of that.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 28 May 2020, 12:12
Confirmed User

Subculture, spot on...
Old 28 May 2020, 17:12
Did...did I do that?

Update on my son-in-law: it's Hodgkin's, although I don't yet know the subtype. Sounds like chemo is starting fairly soon.

Kind of a good news/bad news thing. It's very treatable, but it's going to suck for the next few months. He's got a good attitude at the moment, making some lifestyle changes, but I'm worried about how he's going to handle that first chemo treatment when he yorks his guts out.
Old 28 May 2020, 17:13
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Update on my son-in-law: it's Hodgkin's, although I don't yet know the subtype. Sounds like chemo is starting fairly soon.

Kind of a good news/bad news thing. It's very treatable, but it's going to suck for the next few months. He's got a good attitude at the moment, making some lifestyle changes, but I'm worried about how he's going to handle that first chemo treatment when he yorks his guts out.
I'll certainly be praying for him. He doesn't "have" to puke his guts out. I have plenty of friends that went through it without "all" of the side-effects.
Old 28 May 2020, 17:54

Quote:
Kind of a good news/bad news thing.
Indeed. It's good to know the face of the enemy, and to know that the enemy is beatable.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 28 May 2020, 21:58
Back on The Farm

Quote:

They are pretty good about prescribing drugs to counter nausea these days. Chemo isn't fun, but good doctors can make it much more bearable than in the past.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 29 May 2020, 08:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Awesome it is treatable. He needs to pay attention in his "chemo class" and have someone there (Wife) to listen; he will forget alot of what is presented.

He may receive nausea meds in his chemo, as well Rx's (use them). I am not a pill fan at all, but they saved my ass literally. I was prescribed 3, based on intensity of the nausea. I labeled the bottles 1-3 so I wouldn't forget. Never had to take 2 or 3, only 1 (Zofran, I still carry it in my bag today and still on chemo); not only took/takes care of nausea, but (not to be too graphic) helped when taking a shit (diarrhea), semi hardened stool, seemed to help the chaffing, raw, etc (you get the point), what goes in must come out, and it starts the day after chemo.

It helped the puking: I never did, and still have not from it. Take it.
Lastly, hang in there, maintain a positive attitude, do not drink alcohol during chemo (bad) or stick to Heineken 0.0, EAT even if he does not feel like it. Hopefully I am not stating the obvious above, but he will get through it. If he needs someone to chat with anytime, about whatever, PM me and I will shot over my phone number; available 24/7. Question: chemo port?
Old 29 May 2020, 08:51
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
Awesome it is treatable. He needs to pay attention in his "chemo class" and have someone there (Wife) to listen; he will forget alot of what is presented.

He may receive nausea meds in his chemo, as well Rx's (use them). I am not a pill fan at all, but they saved my ass literally. I was prescribed 3, based on intensity of the nausea. I labeled the bottles 1-3 so I wouldn't forget. Never had to take 2 or 3, only 1 (Zofran, I still carry it in my bag today and still on chemo); not only took/takes care of nausea, but (not to be too graphic) helped when taking a shit (diarrhea), semi hardened stool, seemed to help the chaffing, raw, etc (you get the point), what goes in must come out, and it starts the day after chemo.

It helped the puking: I never did, and still have not from it. Take it.
Lastly, hang in there, maintain a positive attitude, do not drink alcohol during chemo (bad) or stick to Heineken 0.0, EAT even if he does not feel like it. Hopefully I am not stating the obvious above, but he will get through it. If he needs someone to chat with anytime, about whatever, PM me and I will shot over my phone number; available 24/7. Question: chemo port?
Great advice. Always good to make sure that someone else knows exactly what you are taking and when also. Stress makes the mind get foggy. Make sure there are clear directions for all meds.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 29 May 2020, 12:21
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
Great advice
Yes to the port; that's going in next week.

His wife watched her mom and aunt take charge of their mother's healthcare after her heart transplant. She's already got a three-ring binder for notes and such. She's a pharmacy tech by training, and detail-oriented. He's in good hands.
Old 29 May 2020, 12:33
Never to old to learn

Quote:

I have read all the posting, I can't give you any advise but I know some of the thing a person goes thru with chemo. One of My Daughter went thru it. She was the Mother of my youngest grandson.
Old 29 May 2020, 15:50
Authorized Personnel

My experience comes from the VA system. They have pills or can inject some pretty quick acting anti-puke stuff that works well.
Old 29 May 2020, 15:51
Shakin' the bush Boss

Zofran, Ativan and Marinol. Got my daughter thru a bone marrow transplant.
Old 29 May 2020, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
bone marrow transplant.
That's a brutal procedure.

Old 29 May 2020, 15:56
Shakin' the bush Boss

It was. Let's not derail, there is a whole thread on it buried in here somewhere.
Old 29 May 2020, 16:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yes to the port; that's going in next week.

His wife watched her mom and aunt take charge of their mother's healthcare after her heart transplant. She's already got a three-ring binder for notes and such. She's a pharmacy tech by training, and detail-oriented. He's in good hands.
Sorry to derail. Last one. Being in Good Hands is awesome!!! The offer stands. If he simply wants to bitch, yell, complain or what ever, What better than to bitch at me (stranger) than family :)

As for the port, it's no biggie other than being a pain sometimes, but whatever. However, when it comes to the port, if he hunts or shoots, and is right handed, see if he/you can talk the Dr or Surgeon into placing it on the Left side of chest(which is where mine is) rather than the right; he will only have to contend with the seatbelt in his car/truck.

Hang in there.

Last edited by jportal50; 29 May 2020 at 16:11. Reason: posted before reading sniper's post.

Our new posting rules