SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 9 July 2018, 20:10
All Star Benchwarmer

Damn man, sorry to hear that.
Old 9 July 2018, 20:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX teacher View Post
Any chance he has read that book? If so, do you know what his thoughts were regarding accuracy, or just overall opinion?

Anybody here have any thoughts on this book?
I have not read it, my wife has and she liked it.

Have you read Matterhorn? Great read re Viet Nam.
Old 10 July 2018, 06:34
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
"Leadership and Self-deception"
A little different from what I normally read. Saw this at borders when they were clearing out and thought it was worth a read.

Definitely a recommendation for anyone who has to deal with people daily, especially if your day relies on a positive outcome. Also worked to help with some personal issues as well, as far as dealing with difficult family times. Great book to make work easier, or at least more pleasant.
It's awesome you added that the book helped you with some of your personal issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-X-P0tzlF8 ...summary

I've read this book as well.

If you can admit YOUR failures and shortcomings AND learn from them, your team sees their failures individually, accounts for them and makes the organization better.

When I was in the Army the term self-deception, and all the aspects that go along with it weren't prevalent. I had NO idea what the phrase meant (at least in the Infantry world I grew up in) because the leadership in place made the individual accountable for his own failures down to the lowest level.

We all know this, but the rest of the country is far behind and I really had no idea.

Example:

My wife and I took our 2 and 3-year-old boys to Cedar Point yesterday after I got off at 8:00 in the AM. A mother about my age (33ish) and her 2 or 3-year-old daughter was standing in line with us waiting to get on a ride. The worker measured her child's height and told the mother her child was too short for the ride. The mother argues loudly with the worker and the main point of her argument was her daughter had been allowed to ride this particular ride yesterday (well, yesterday isn't today so...move along). Instead of accepting the worker's authority she had to complain about it and challenge it, while her daughter, unfortunately for the future of this great nation, learned from her. However, the female worker from the Czech Republic knows if the child got injured because of the decision she made, she'd be held accountable. What's even more fascinating to me as I walked around Cedar Point yesterday, I noticed most of the people operating the rides are from other countries. Is it because the leadership of Cedar Point knows how vital this summer job is to them and being important they'll do exactly as their leadership demands? Whereas an American 20-something-year-old kid could really care less because he has the controlled environment of mommy and daddy to fall back on. From what I see walking around at Cedar Point (we have season passes for the boys and us, so we go a lot), the American kids working at Cedar Point hold the jobs which require zero confrontation or responsibility. 20-year-old American male and college student Avery Smith doesn't get to control the rides, because he can't handle the battle that might go along with telling someone, "no." Avery is only afforded the responsibility to sit at the exit and ask people if they'd like a handstamp to get back into the park. Alternatively, Avery might be tasked with asking people coming inside the park if they want him to take a picture. If the family agrees excellent, he snaps the photo, gives them a card and sends them off. If the family says no, Avery isn't asked to make a crucial authoritarian decision because he probably can't be trusted for that tasking anyway. Confrontation might turn into bending the rules, bending the rules turns into deaths at the park (bad for business), deaths turn into law-suits and fewer visitors, and law-suits and fewer visitors generally mean money out and not money in.

I was a strong private because I forgot shit which was required of me ALL the time; I-Corps Bluebook, Ranger Handbook, dog-tags, pen, paper, you name it, I'd forget it. Interestingly enough, my failures were helping the Army in the big picture because I was physically fit; failures directly and immediately dealt with and turned into progress. Blaming other people is not an acceptable excuse. Really, the only acceptable excuse where I grew up in the Big-Green Army was, "I have no excuse, it's my mistake alone, and I failed the team." There's no worse feeling than failing your team and making it known to your team that YOU failed them. Failing your team in our world means someone might not go home. Which again, you'll be held accountable if someone doesn't go home. You and your team will pack up their belongings and send them home and trust me when I say this, you'll feel accountable even if you DID the right PCC/PCI's. I would say that's the Army or the Military-way in general, but, we all know, it's unit dependent. CSM Viriato Ferrera, then 1SG for me, held you accountable EVERY-DAMN-DAY!

A lack of courage and accountability is the issue with the American Policing world in general (IMO). IME/O, Cops LOVE telling people how dangerous their job is but HATE training to deal with the nasty, terrible things they love to talk SO much about to others. Alternatively, even better, ask a patrolman that has 10-15 years on the job to make sure he has all his shit for the road, and he's going to be offended you'd ask such a thing. When really, I just want to make sure you go home, is that really a bad thing? I have to beg someone to check my shit, and even then, they are scared to tell me I'm wrong or missing stuff.

There's a considerable lack of accountability and more importantly courage to do the right thing. As Police Officers, if we can't generally do the right thing, what the fuck are we doing? Determining what's right and wrong, more specifically what's "reasonable" is the fundamental principle of our being. Maybe it's easy for me to say because I've only been a Policeman for 5-years(ish), but our job is helping and dealing with people and doing what's right by them. I took a call to back up a Deputy last week, domestic, b/f won't allow g/f and their young infant to leave home, she's scared and calls for help. She's a SCARED young mother who called YOU(!) to save her, who else in the world would you as a male Officer want to help? It's like a superhero's main objective! When the deputy and I arrive, we can't locate them; dispatch tells us we can cancel, the b/f let them out and he's now down the road at a buddy's house. The deputy (in his 40s, fat, and out of shape) looks at me and says, "see, that's why I hate this job, bullshit calls like that, you know..?" I said, "well, just because he finally let them leave doesn't mean a domestic violence crime wasn't committed, let's go find the fucker." "Fuck'em," he says. I said, "I bet if that were your daughter trapped against her will with your infant grandbaby, you'd be singing a different tune, Fuck-stick." I got a talking-to about my tactfulness, not my decision to call the deputy out.

I miss being held accountable, the 19-year-old 256 would not agree. Accountability is the reason I enjoy SOCNET. Here, I've already learned that you had better hold yourself responsible for what you're about to say because someone with real-world experience "...will be along shortly..." to tell you how wrong you are (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) to hold you accountable for the information you're putting out, because, people may use your good or fucked up information to make life decisions.

There are lots and lots of great Policeman out there, I fully understand that and I am proud of them. I just think we have our work cut out to make the profession better.

Also, maybe we can use "I-John-Giduck(ed)-it" or "I-shoveled-it" as a phrase for our life fuck ups?

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon

Last edited by 256; 10 July 2018 at 06:53. Reason: I added that the 40 year old deputy was fat..out of shape and John Giduck parts
Old 10 July 2018, 06:54
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
How are you liking the Peterson book? I have it on a get-to list, but haven't obtained it from the library. Thoughtful and useful, or an upjumped magazine article pushed into a book?
I think Peterson is brilliant. The audio book does however require really focused listening, as I'm sure you've noticed watching him elsewhere and that's been a bit of a challenge for me.

He delivers a very large amount of information every time he talks. Whether he's on the Joe Rogan show, a TV interview, giving a lecture, casually conversing...when he talks he delivers information at his level, which is quite a bit above most people's intellectual ability.

The content simply isn't as if you were listening to Tony Robbins. It's much more cerebral and he has a peculiar voice, which adds some challenges to the experience.

Hence, I'm going to buy the paperback and start from page 1. What I've gleaned so far, about four chapters in, is good and I would recommend it. You will certainly find familiar topics (lobsters, infantile responses etc.) but they are accompanied with personal anecdotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Nice. Just finished that after binging on his interviews / videos...
You and me, brother. I got hooked when Zonk sent me a video six months ago where he put on an evolutionary psychology clinic.

Since then...hooked.

If you haven't subscribed to his podcast, or you have and can get over the absymsal sound quality of most episodes, his latest one on intelligence was excellent.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 10 July 2018, 15:37
Been There Done That

Thanks Mixedload. Ordered the Peterson book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 July 2018, 21:32
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Thanks Mixedload. Ordered the Peterson book.
I think you will enjoy it.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 12 July 2018, 11:12
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
I have not read it, my wife has and she liked it.

I have not read it, but I just looked it up on Amazon and put a copy in my cart. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 14 July 2018, 17:20
0311/8651

The cases that haunt us
Old 15 July 2018, 22:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Have you ready 'Body Count'? First read it in the 70's, the author passed a several years ago; but when I first read Matterhorn, the two books were eerily similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Count-William-Turner-Huggett/dp/B001EUCWTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531708458&sr=1-1&keywords=Body+Count
Old 17 July 2018, 18:43
All Star Benchwarmer

Starting on book number 7 since the first of June. This one will be "Brotherhood of Spies: The U-2 and the CIA's Secret War" by Monte Reel.

I was going to read a book on LBJ called Dereliction of Duty, but that'll be after I finish this.
Old 18 July 2018, 23:21
The atomic zit

Rudyard Kipling’s If

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/If—
Old 18 July 2018, 23:45
BTDT

I like Kipling.
Old 24 July 2018, 16:49
All Star Benchwarmer

"A Brotherhood of Spies: The U-2 and the CIA's Secret War" by Monte Reel.

It's a pretty solid book that covers development of the U-2, through the shootdown, and into the Bay of Pigs invasion and the resulting fallout. I have previously read a lot about the topic through several other books I've read, including Mayday and Skunkworks, but this is a relatively quick read that jumps from broad coverage of a topic down to minute details. I have really enjoyed it.
Old 25 July 2018, 17:02
All Star Benchwarmer

New book started today. "Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies that Led to Vietnam."

It actually starts with JFK and his appointment of the McNamara and then goes from there.
Old 26 July 2018, 08:41
Confronting the Reckoning

McMaster's dissertation. Important book, and he took a professional risk with it (but it panned out).

I just finished Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent. Without spoiling it, an agent provocateur gets more than he bargained for, and the reader (in the early 20th century) sees the true cost of political terrorism...and the war against it. Worth it as a classic, but be prepared for flourid descriptions of people, their appearance and their thoughts in that pre-television era. Not very long.
Old 26 July 2018, 19:04
Confirmed User

Fargo ( A western) by James Reasoner and John Benteen.

The 20 book series has been released in digital format and is about a soldier of fortune, Fargo, selling his martial services around the turn of the last century.
Old 3 August 2018, 08:52
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
I like Kipling.
Agreed. When I first got my kindle years ago, when a lot of books were still free or really cheap, I think I go the complete works of Kipling for like .99
I grew up with my mom reading me the "Just So" stories and Ricki Tiki Tavi at bedtime.
Old 3 August 2018, 08:56
Going cyclic!!

Right now I'm reading 2 books, and I apologize because I can't remember the actual titles or the authors names.

One is about the Fetterman Massacre. I've been to the scene of The Wagon Box Fight. Good book, but you can tell the author seems to have a hard on for Col Carrington, which other accounts I've read, it seemed he was one of the few officers there who wasn't a total fuck up or glory hound. But, I'm only 30% into it and Fetterman hasn't even shown up to the fort yet.

The other one is about Frank Hamer, which so far I am digging. Interesting guy. Amazing how times change and what was once acceptable in law work has changed.
Old 5 August 2018, 10:08
Shakin' the bush Boss

The Sand Pebbles - Richard McKenna

I just re-read this book as my treadmill distraction. Have read it multiple times, but it just keeps getting better.

Many are familiar with the Steve McQueen movie version, which is a great movie, but does the work limited justice.

It's set on a gunboat in the China in the 1920's and covers the period immediately before and during the rise and take over of Chang Kai Check. The sailors have Chinese that run their support chain and are basically kind of hybrid sailor/marine. It's one of the top 10 fiction works I have ever read. If you have time on your hands you will be glad you invested it in this book.
Old 5 August 2018, 13:29
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post

It's set on a gunboat in the China in the 1920's and covers the period immediately before and during the rise and take over of Chang Kai Check. The sailors have Chinese that run their support chain and are basically kind of hybrid sailor/marine. It's one of the top 10 fiction works I have ever read. If you have time on your hands you will be glad you invested it in this book.
Chiang Kai-shek was the brother in law of Sun Yat Sen who led the Chinese revolution in 1911 and who was the founding father of the Republic of China. I read the book "Vinegar Joe Stillwell and the American Experience in China" by the historian, Barbara Tuchman, some time ago. Stillwell gave the US an early warning about the corruption of Chiang but was ignored during the anti-communist fears of the late 40s. His corruption opened the doors for Mao and the rest is history.

Our new posting rules