SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 8 February 2017, 18:29
Confirmed User

So, I am getting to the point of having to jettison the free version of Dropbox and pay for it, or something else. Dropbox is easy to use and works across all machines.

I like the privacy/security benefits of Spider Oak, but it seems difficult to setup.

I have seen iDrive gets good ratings. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Just seeking opinions on who likes what.

Thanks.
Old 8 February 2017, 22:23
Confronting the Reckoning

SpiderOak has worked well for me. I have several platforms, home and work, and have been able to synchronize with only minor issues. It also reassures me that my personal office files remain mine, not on the company computer. The ability to share files quickly with others that I might not know, securely, is a plus for me as well.
Old 9 February 2017, 08:26
Authorized Personnel

Spideroak. Have a function called 'Hive' which works like Dropbox. Otherwise you get a solid encrypted backup product.
Old 21 May 2017, 15:49
Confirmed User

Stupid question: I have mostly Mac's at my house. Is there a way, when playing, say a YouTub video, of capturing/ripping and recording the sound directly to the machine as a playable file?
Old 21 May 2017, 16:17
Been There Done That

If you google "youtube to mp3," there are a few online tools that allow you to paste the video URL and download th corresponding audio file.

Are you looking for a utility that lives on your machine?
Old 21 May 2017, 16:18
#AllLionsMatter

^^^Try ClipConverter
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 21 May 2017, 20:47
Confirmed User

Found this....simple to use. Probably illegal...lol. I'm sitting at the island in my kitchen and mention I just found this tool. My 21 year old daughter yells at me for yelling at her like 10 years ago for pirating music.

http://download.cnet.com/MediaHuman-...-75445803.html
Old 4 February 2018, 16:18
Confirmed User

Considering changing my foot print.

I currently use AirVPN. Looking for opinions on VPN's in 2018. There's a million lists so I figured I'd come here for user experiences.

I am also considering going with Tutanota for email. Though that's a bit of a transition.

Thoughts...?

Last edited by Macka; 4 February 2018 at 16:30.
Old 4 February 2018, 17:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I currently use AirVPN. Looking for opinions on VPN's in 2018. There's a million lists so I figured I'd come here for user experiences.
Keep AirVPN, or look at using Mullvad. Both are solid options.
Old 5 February 2018, 07:44
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Considering changing my foot print.

I am also considering going with Tutanota for email. Though that's a bit of a transition.

Thoughts...?
+1 Why not stay with Air? I switched to using their 'Eddie' Client over OpenVPN because the 'Network Lock' is so easy to use and you get a real time load readout on each countries' servers.

Email - how secure do you want? ProtonMail would probably do (pay them, they deserve it), but Countermail is the cat's meow IMO.
Old 5 February 2018, 09:26
Authorized Personnel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
...but Countermail is the cat's meow IMO.
This.
Old 5 February 2018, 20:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
+1 Why not stay with Air? I switched to using their 'Eddie' Client over OpenVPN because the 'Network Lock' is so easy to use and you get a real time load readout on each countries' servers.

Email - how secure do you want? ProtonMail would probably do (pay them, they deserve it), but Countermail is the cat's meow IMO.
Not locked into changing anything. Just shopping for new options (or old ones...).
Old 9 March 2018, 05:20
killjoy

With tax time at hand, one of my agents sent me a communication about a subject I had not considered before.

If I'm going to sell my laptop, I need to ensure my turbotax data is gone from it to avoid ID theft. The notion is that a software is needed since after I "delete" the files, a trace of them remains on the harddrive until something else actually overwrites it.

I have no idea how many memes I'd have to download to wipe out the old data, so it seems some type of "secure delete" software is needed.

Are there options out there that free to use or do I have to spend money on a Clinton type of "wipe with a cloth"? I'm not looking to the wipe the entire drive, since part of the selling point is that the computer will come with programs like MS Access, Excel, etc. I'm only looking to fully delete the things I've already "deleted".
Old 9 March 2018, 08:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
With tax time at hand, one of my agents sent me a communication about a subject I had not considered before.

If I'm going to sell my laptop, I need to ensure my turbotax data is gone from it to avoid ID theft. The notion is that a software is needed since after I "delete" the files, a trace of them remains on the harddrive until something else actually overwrites it.

I have no idea how many memes I'd have to download to wipe out the old data, so it seems some type of "secure delete" software is needed.

Are there options out there that free to use or do I have to spend money on a Clinton type of "wipe with a cloth"? I'm not looking to the wipe the entire drive, since part of the selling point is that the computer will come with programs like MS Access, Excel, etc. I'm only looking to fully delete the things I've already "deleted".
Just download the free Veracrypt and encrypt the entire system with a long ass key (you can use Keepass to generate a 256 character one). This in itself will do it, but to be safe, then delete all partitions. Mini Partition Wizard is free. I mean, there is a ton of stuff you can do - SSDs like Samsung and Sandisk offer Secure Erase through their software... MPW above can secure delete... Jetico BCWipe offers a fully functional trial that will wipe everything, including the Host Protected Area and Drive Control Overlay (HPA/DCO). It all depends on what the buyer wants when he gets the laptop??? If he wants a working OS or if he's installing his own. Hell, you can remove the drive and keep it yourself, you could install a new one for the buyer, etc...

Fun with Anti-Forensics

Edit: Ok, just read the last part of your post (duh me). You are doing something that is not ideal as far as security/privacy goes hoss. If you don't have a way to re-install Windows and the programs he wants, the only thing you can do would be to secure delete the data files you are concerned about, and then use a Program to securely wipe all the 'Free Space' on the drive. Look up a free (version) of a program called PrivaZer:

https://privazer.com/

Last edited by Polypro; 9 March 2018 at 08:45.
Old 9 March 2018, 08:46
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Just download the free Veracrypt and encrypt the entire system with a long ass key (you can use Keepass to generate a 256 character one). This in itself will do it, but to be safe, then delete all partitions. Mini Partition Wizard is free. I mean, there is a ton of stuff you can do - SSDs like Samsung and Sandisk offer Secure Erase through their software... MPW above can secure delete... Jetico BCWipe offers a fully functional trial that will wipe everything, including the Host Protected Area and Drive Control Overlay (HPA/DCO). It all depends on what the buyer wants when he gets the laptop??? If he wants a working OS or if he's installing his own. Hell, you can remove the drive and keep it yourself, you could install a new one for the buyer, etc...

Fun with Anti-Forensics

Edit: Ok, just read the last part of your post (duh me). You are doing something that is not ideal as far as security/privacy goes hoss. If you don't have a way to re-install Windows and the programs he wants, the only thing you can do would be to secure delete the data files you are concerned about, and then use a Program to securely wipe all the 'Free Space' on the drive. Look up a free (version) of a program called PrivaZer:

How about CCleaner free version?
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 March 2018, 08:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
How about CCleaner free version?
I don't like the fact that a previous version of CCleaner was hacked/infected:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.NTrT6JmLlKc

PrivaZer is big time involved in the Privacy circles online (started on WildersSecurity IIRC).
Old 9 March 2018, 16:29
I aim to misbehave

Quote:

I've been running with paranoid.email latelty. I don't have a single unkind thing to say about it.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 March 2018, 17:18
Administrator

I've always used https://dban.org/ for wiping a drive.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 March 2018, 17:26
killjoy

Quote:
delete the data files you are concerned about, and then use a Program to securely wipe all the 'Free Space' on the drive. Look up a free (version) of a program called PrivaZer:

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have no desire to wipe the entire drive as the programs here double the value of the machine. Just want to make sure that what I've deleted stays deleted. Thank you very much.
Old 9 March 2018, 20:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for. I have no desire to wipe the entire drive as the programs here double the value of the machine. Just want to make sure that what I've deleted stays deleted. Thank you very much.
After you use this, physically destroy the disc. Not kidding. Drill holes in it.

Our new posting rules