Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 26 January 2017, 08:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I was shot down 3 times my first tour, wounded a few, finally medevaced to the states with my right arm a mess.

That's another story.
I'd like to hear that story.

Thank you for sharing CPTAUSRET.
Old 26 January 2017, 17:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Hope I didn't go on too long.
Waited 15 years to hear that story..wasn't too long :)
Old 26 January 2017, 18:08
Old Scroll

Capturing the myriad moments that we've experienced, moments that would certainly make mere mortal blood run cold and bowels release, is important. If not for ourselves, but for our progeny and peers.

My father's best friend was quite a few years older, and had been a Dauntless pilot during WWII. He had many, many stories that he'd tell to a select few friends, on occasion. He had on one occasion, for example, pickled off a bomb after negotiating a regular forest of AA fire, that went straight down the stack of a Jap ammo transport off Truk (?) harbor, which folded right in half and disappeared. He also fought in Korea, doing very well in that theater, too.

The point is that other than a couple of fragmentary verbal anecdotes, there's no record of his (truly) derring-do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dying replicant Roy Batty makes this speech to Harrison Ford's character Deckard moments after saving him from falling off a tall building.

Deckard had been tasked to kill him and his replicant friends. The words are spoken during a downpour, moments before Batty's death:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 January 2017, 18:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Capturing the myriad moments that we've experienced, moments that would certainly make mere mortal blood run cold and bowels release, is important. If not for ourselves, but for our progeny and peers.

My father's best friend was quite a few years older, and had been a Dauntless pilot during WWII. He had many, many stories that he'd tell to a select few friends, on occasion. He had on one occasion, for example, pickled off a bomb after negotiating a regular forest of AA fire, that went straight down the stack of a Jap ammo transport off Truk (?) harbor, which folded right in half and disappeared. He also fought in Korea, doing very well in that theater, too.

The point is that other than a couple of fragmentary verbal anecdotes, there's no record of his (truly) derring-do...
My father was a WWII vet. He never shared any real details of his time in the war till I joined the Marines. Then I got a few from him, which were simultaneously harrowing and humbling. Unfortunately, he passed very unexpectedly when I had less than a year in the Corps. One of the things I most regret was not hearing the rest of his experiences.

CPT - Sir, I am grateful for what you have shared. And hope you continue to do so. Real stories and experiences like those you have lived need to be heard and shared.
Old 26 January 2017, 22:03
Confirmed User

You should post at Erik Villard's VietnamWarHistoryOrg Facebook group

[QUOTE=CPTAUSRET;1058626553]
Old 26 January 2017, 23:24
Been There Done That

Great read. I think everyone, including me would love to hear more Terry.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 26 January 2017, 23:27
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Man i have said that so many times. Great movie.

So true. Another reason you should write it down CPT.
Old 27 January 2017, 07:02
Authorized Personnel

I know it's been said here before, but I'm going to say it again. Thank you for your service to our nation, especially at a time when so many Americans were avoiding service. Also, thank you for being a member here and for sharing your story. I am grateful.
Quote:
I could tell stories, but putting it out there for strangers, doesn't work for me. SOCNET is where my friends hang out.
+1. At Bible study this past Wednesday, we were talking about being fearful of God and being terrified in general. Our study leader, a good friend and mentor of mine, said "GR, I know you've been in combat; were you ever terrified?" I said "yup" and left it at that, and he gratefully moved on to someone else. Much like Joker in FMJ, I've never been in deep shit, but how do you ever begin to explain Ramadi or Fallujah to a bunch of ladies and civilians in a Bible study?
Old 27 January 2017, 07:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
but how do you ever begin to explain Ramadi or Fallujah to a bunch of ladies and civilians in a Bible study?
You don't. It seldom ends well.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 27 January 2017, 08:54
Red Headed Stepchild

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad...-feeling?act=2
Old 27 January 2017, 10:17
BTDT

I talked to my wife again. Nancy's Ph.D. is in English Lit, she was Editor in Chief of the American JournaL of Psychiatry for many years, and wrote the definition of PTSD for DSM lll. So her writing standards far exceed mine. And those skills aren't necessarily needed here.

She wants me to write more for you guys...And also wants it on paper so my Grandkids will know why their Grandfather has all those scars.
Old 27 January 2017, 10:43
Been There Done That

Thanks for sharing your being there recollections, a great read.
Old 27 January 2017, 10:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
She wants me to write more for you guys...And also wants it on paper so my Grandkids will know why their Grandfather has all those scars.
One of the best documents in my study is my great-uncle's hand-typed memoirs from World War 2. Written exactly like he talked with no polish. Just saying...
Old 27 January 2017, 11:02
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
One of the best documents in my study is my great-uncle's hand-typed memoirs from World War 2. Written exactly like he talked with no polish. Just saying...
I wish there were more "books" written like that. Today, many of them are so edited that it's no longer the author's true words and a lot of the true meaning is lost. That's why I like the stories that are posted here in like the OP that speaks from their perspective in THEIR words and not the editors.

Sounds to me like you have some true treasures in your study!
Old 27 January 2017, 11:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
I talked to my wife again. Nancy's Ph.D. is in English Lit, she was Editor in Chief of the American JournaL of Psychiatry for many years, and wrote the definition of PTSD for DSM lll. So her writing standards far exceed mine. And those skills aren't necessarily needed here.

That will be a fantastic read. I wish my grandfather and Dad had done some of that as well. They led interesting lives.

Also agree with your better half that you need to keep writing, Sir.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 27 January 2017, 11:51
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
That will be a fantastic read. I wish my grandfather and Dad had done some of that as well. They led interesting lives.

Also agree with your better half that you need to keep writing, Sir.
I'll write more. You guys tell me if I am becoming repetitious, or boring.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:56
BTDT

My wife also asked how many members of SOCNET flew gunships in the Delta at the same time I was there.

None to my knowledge...So, one more reason to record some of the stuff in my head.

As someone else said, VN was a long time ago, and I go there every day.
Old 27 January 2017, 13:33
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
repetitious, or boring.
Not possible.
Old 27 January 2017, 13:59
Old Scroll

Nancy's completely right, as you know.

An investment in your grandkids' understanding of the family history

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 27 January 2017, 14:27
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Nancy's completely right, as you know.

An investment in your grandkids' understanding of the family history
As we both know, Brother?

Our new posting rules