Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 14 October 2017, 17:19
SOCNET Moderator

Need help with phone Scammers

So in the last week I have gotten calls on both my home phone as well as my cell phone. I am on the DNC list on both lines.

The first one was on my home phone. Guy calls with an accent (I already assume scam) and tells me he is calling from a law firm to inform me that I have won something. I know it's a scam so I keep fucking with the person. I ask him if he knows who he is calling at which point he tells my name and tells me my address both of which are correct. I hang up after that and say WTF. Fast forward to today and I get a call on my cell and the lady tells me I have won a free AC cleaning. So again I screw around and play with the caller. Once again she confirms my name and home address......

So my questions is how are these two different callers that are calling both my cell and home phone not only know my name but also my home address? Should I be concerned? Should I call anyone and let them know what's going on. It's sort of freaking me out. Any ideas?
Old 14 October 2017, 17:31
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I'm not sure what the right course of action is or whom to contact, but I would be curious about how much identity theft I might already be a victim of. If they told you your name and address, can they also tell you your birthdate, SSN, credit card #, mom's maiden name, etc.?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 14 October 2017, 17:44
SOCNET Moderator

Not sure about the SSN CC# etc but I know I was one of the people hacked on Equifax....
Old 14 October 2017, 18:05
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Always keep a list nearby with obscure medical conditions, and when you get one on the line proceed to tell him or her that things are going downhill fast and then proceed to list all of the maladies you are afflicted with.

Or pretend that you're hard of hearing, and when they say something to you, repeat it back to them in some mangled fashion. Keep doing so for as long as they can bear it.

As for how to keep them from calling, I've come to the conclusion that even with the don't call list it's probably more than a bit of a hassle to follow up with whoever is doing it. Best bet is to just make their life miserable for as long as you can keep them on the line.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:14
Sound off for equipment check!

I received a voice message at 1:54 this morning about a sale on hearing aids, but I show no missed calls last night. The bass turds are getting sneaky!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 14 October 2017, 18:20
Calix Meus Inebrians

I've never considered my name, address, and phone number as secure information. Some service I use has gotten some sliver of change for selling it to a third party, and most likely I consented by accepting the terms of service.

As to how I deal with it...never accept a call from anyone not on my list unless I'm expecting a call from someone. Even then, I use the area code as a screener. If someone wants to talk bad enough, they'll leave a voicemail, or do what they should have done in the first place and send a text message.

It's annoying, but I find my time way more valuable than any entertainment from messing with the callers. Ignoring the call is a wasted five seconds at most.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:25
Authorized Personnel

All of your personal information is available through pay services — including the last four of your SSN — which they will always quote to you. 99% of all the ones I have looked into were originated from overseas and can’t be investigated from here. I don’t answer any calls I am unfamiliar with and only check them if they leave a voicemail.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:38
Confirmed User

hard of hearing, I do that all the time, an if it in some strange voice I say speak up I can't understand you. Or I will ask where they are calling from. I keep repeating what did you say.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:42
Been There Done That

Just never answer your phone if a number you do not recognize. If it is something important and not a spam/scam they will leave a voice mail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:43
Authorized Personnel

Answering in any way puts you back in the que. I wouldn’t answer them. You don’t win by speaking with them in any way.
Old 14 October 2017, 19:14
Confirmed User

I've heard of people on the DNC list suing the Telemarketing companies and winning but have no idea how many hoops you have to jump through. If I have the free time I like playing with their minds other wise I just say no thank you and hang up. One friend I know use to collect marketing numbers and tell the caller to call him back at one of the other numbers.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 14 October 2017, 19:28

Here's a good how to link:

https://michaelrkn.github.io/how-to-sue-a-telemarketer/
Old 14 October 2017, 19:31
Another pool cleaner

I never answer my cell phone unless I recognize the caller.

They are trying to triangulate any info that they can.

Data is power.
Old 14 October 2017, 19:44
Life is simple, not easy.

I know everyone is different but I concur with what many have said - if I don't have you in my phone already you need to leave me a vm.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 15 October 2017, 09:04
Swimming Upstream

Like others, I have made it a point to not answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If it is someone that needs to get hold of me, they will leave a message. I also block numbers of any telemarketer. Simple solution for me.

Or...you could keep an air horn by your phone and blast them when they call.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 15 October 2017, 11:05
On the Razor's Edge

www.nomorobo.com Works great, lasts a long time.
Old 15 October 2017, 18:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Like others, I have made it a point to not answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.
But then you miss the golden calls like the one I got recently from Jamaica. Guy said that I won $3 million from the Publisher's Clearing House. I laughed and told him do give it to charity. [imaginary plot twist: was real and the money went to the Jamaican scammer's retirement home ]
Old 15 October 2017, 18:32
Confirmed User

Unless the name comes up on my contact list I never answer it. If it is important they will leave a message and I will call back. Same with the home phone. Nowadays, if it ain't family or known friends, I don't answer it...ever!

Also in my area there was a scam going around where someone calls and try to get you to say the word "Yes" to them when they ask you questions, they record it and sign you up for services somehow by using the recording of you saying yes to the service. Pretty fucked up but the internet and phone, in this day and age are a war zone of bullshit.
Old 16 October 2017, 02:15
Nobody Special

Many of these types of calls are coming from VPN dialers in India. Even though a local area code is generated, it's just a spoofed number. There are entire huge call centers in Mumbai that do this. Often the call lists are sold from data miners here in the US and distributed overseas. I would caution signing up for contests at the mall, fair or anywhere you don't have the ability to check to see how you information is going to be used. Depending on what state you live in there are ways of going after the businesses (maybe). Unsolicited calls to a cell phone have a high penalty for the violators.

https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/facts/oth...leave-me-alone
Old 16 October 2017, 09:09
33,024 - R.I.P.

I use the Hiya app on my cell phone to help ID callers and research callers as well as block scam/spam. Good app.

Our new posting rules