Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 5 November 2014, 15:40
Authorized Personnel

This thread kicks ass on multiple levels. I'm about to ditch my traditional 600 TVL systems and spend the extra money for an IP setup. My hardware based dvr blows, camera image sucks, non-flexible configuration, I could go on. I have had way too many situations where the poor image quality and lack of field of view burned me on a few instances. My current system did catch a minor fender bender in my court area as well as my friendly neighbor's lab taking a dump in my yard. IP cameras have gone down in price since I implemented my system so I think the time is right.
Old 5 November 2014, 17:36
Ungood

Splurge for solid-state drives for storage, and you'll be gold.
Old 5 November 2014, 22:02
Livin' On Blues Power

My boot drive is IBM 160G not the 120G i said before.

MoBo is ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 board with IntelŽ Z68 chipset. Build is Nov 2011 so it's a bit dated and I need to check for bios updates if any.

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Support IntelŽ Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation IntelŽ Core™ processor family
JMicronŽ JMB362 controller : *3
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

I guess that means I can use two 3TB HDs in a RAID 1 config. I'm gonna try that first and if it doesnt work out then try SSD for storage. I assume you can RAID SSDs right?

I just moved 1TB of HD video and damn is transferring that amount of video slow, I still pine for the days of mashing the button and bang zoom it's done. Will we ever see that?

Going cat6 so I dont have to pull the cable again for 20 years.
Old 5 November 2014, 22:49
Nexus Schemer

My home rig is running that same mother board. Although a little bit of a PITA to setup it does run fine.

SSD drive or spinning platters can all be RAIDed ed eed... LOL how ever that's said. RAID all the drives are drives... just match the size and speed.

Best thing to-do is to start with a clean install

Plug up the 2 drives you want into the 6gbs channels go into the bios on that mother board and declare the RAID 1

Create the logical drive should be 160gb or a little less.(if you use the SSDs)

Then install windows.

I've found with these that the INTEL Raid software that gets loaded with windows is slow. As soon as you get it running go to intel.com use the autodetect wizard and download and install all the latest drivers. DO the same for the SSD manufactuerer

Then with the large storage devices installed on the other ports use windows disk manger to create the logicals for storage

With those SSD, well any of them. Check frequently for BIOS and those INTEL drivers. I have two of the Samsung SSDs and have been able to tweak them up with the new firmware and correct drivers. I first installed them and got shitty speeds. with the above methods they smoke now. Use the windows experience index tool to check. Its a shitty tool for detail but a quick free way of seeing if your drives are running at the speeds you expect. With 8 plus GBs of RAM, x64 the wizard should come back in the low 7.x.

Now on that motherboard, the BIOS will have some features almost like a wizard to setup the raid. I've been at this for a while and that wizard is a mother fucker. but it's even more of a dick head to do it manually in BIOS. It probably makes perfect sense to the programmer... but after 13 years of setting up SANS and Raids... it was/is clumsy compared to other offerings.

Unlike servers, if it is the same as mine there is no control-I on boot to just go into the RAID controller. SO you're corn holed with the BIOS wizard/advanced if you'd like to give it a whirl.

Ah yes one more gotcha that made me want to punt a baby... The BIOS upgrade

Make sure you're up to the latest rev before you start the windows install. When I upgraded mine, it reset my RAID settings and broke my mirror.
(Raid 1 aka Mirror)

SO go slow pay attention and ask if you get stuck.

The BIOS upgrade is a little different than a traditional download and flash. Mine had a dedicated USB marked for BIOS upgrade and a little button next to it. Put the file on a USB shut the box off and plug in the usb. Then press the marked button. Took some banging around before I got that....

Tell us how it goes
Old 6 November 2014, 20:09
BTDT

The only hardware 'max' you want to do with a camera server, is memory. I'm running an old AMD Quad Core and board, with 7200 rpm low cache spinners... video isn't that demanding. 1920x1080 H.264 Blu-ray is what, 20-30Mbs? SATA 1 and a 7200rpm drive can handle a bunch. Streaming takes memory, only recording hits the disk. How many simultaneous camera recordings do you think will kick off at once?

Anyway, I'd try the cheapest (and less complicated/less to go wrong) way first - big cheap spinners. Then I'd see if I needed more speed. YMMV.
Old 7 November 2014, 01:56
Livin' On Blues Power

This current i7 box has my HD video editing software on it and it was a bear to get a HD video capture card working with it so I'm going to build a new dedicated box for the security camera system. I like the idea of a clean install you mentioned Saw7616, don't need the all nighters trying to figure out conflicting software. Any mobo recommendations? i7 still the way to go? Windows 7 or 8?

Poly, I have times when 4 cameras are going off with all the wind and trees I have here. No way to shut the falsing down except keep the trees and hedges trimmed. Or a freaking spider, that's some creepy shit to be watching a feed and a giant leg comes across the lens like Godzilla. Turning off the IR helps I hear.

On lighting to help the cameras, I'm using motion activated lights that have a low soft setting and kick in high when motion is detected. I didnt see a bump in the electric bill after installing 6 of them and the soft light works great for lighting that won't blind the cameras. These lights also have dual PIR sensors, one looking out for 240 degree of coverage and one that looks straight down in case someone tries to slip under the light. $34 at Lowe's. http://www.lowes.com/pd_182155-85538...=$25%20-%20$50

Thanks again.

Last edited by spectr17; 7 November 2014 at 02:07.
Old 7 November 2014, 02:58
Livin' On Blues Power

On the Firewall/DMZ, any recommendations? Looks like I need 2 per CVs post.

Right now for network I will have [Home Network] -> [Firewall/DMZ] -> [Camera Switch] -> [Cable Switch] -> [Firewall/DMZ] -> [Internet]

On the home network is a laptop and an i7 desktop.
Old 7 November 2014, 08:35
Authorized Personnel

I'm using iSmartAlarm and 2 Foscam IP cameras. It's getting the job done without costing a ton of money. I have to be careful how much money I put into this because, the wife just isn't into it. The alarm actually works well for not being professionally monitored. We set it off by mistake about once a week and we get our notifications and I can check the status of the contacts etc.
Old 7 November 2014, 09:34
BTDT

Why the complicated network again? I just port forward 1 Blue Iris port on the router, and use a Dynamic DNS hostname to get to it.

LOL on false alarms - yes, tons with cameras, even with masking, etc... bugs, for some reason, are attracted to something (IR, RF?) that cameras put out.

I just send all alert snapshots to a "Camera" email account, with a voice alert on the phone that says "Camera" - easy to check without having to fire up the App. If it looks interesting, I go "live" with the app.
Old 7 November 2014, 11:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
This current i7 box has my HD video editing software on it and it was a bear to get a HD video capture card working with it so I'm going to build a new dedicated box for the security camera system. I like the idea of a clean install you mentioned Saw7616, don't need the all nighters trying to figure out conflicting software. Any mobo recommendations? i7 still the way to go? Windows 7 or 8?

Poly, I have times when 4 cameras are going off with all the wind and trees I have here. No way to shut the falsing down except keep the trees and hedges trimmed. Or a freaking spider, that's some creepy shit to be watching a feed and a giant leg comes across the lens like Godzilla. Turning off the IR helps I hear.

On lighting to help the cameras, I'm using motion activated lights that have a low soft setting and kick in high when motion is detected. I didnt see a bump in the electric bill after installing 6 of them and the soft light works great for lighting that won't blind the cameras. These lights also have dual PIR sensors, one looking out for 240 degree of coverage and one that looks straight down in case someone tries to slip under the light. $34 at Lowe's. http://www.lowes.com/pd_182155-85538...=$25%20-%20$50

Thanks again.

I like the idea of motion sensed lighting to prevent those spiders from doing their thing!
I used Vaseline on and around the camera bodies and it helped a bit, but they'd spin/weave from the walls over and across the cameras viewpoint. I tried making a spray with herbs in it but finally settled on sage.
Hung fresh sage from the garden on the walls surrounding the cams and poof, no more spiders.

Also, have you tried the masking in Blue Iris? That masking feature is helpful in covering for unwanted false triggers from trees/hedges and in my case, waves too.
Old 7 November 2014, 11:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Why the complicated network again? I just port forward 1 Blue Iris port on the router, and use a Dynamic DNS hostname to get to it.
ditto.
Old 19 November 2014, 22:48
Livin' On Blues Power

Well I ended up switching gears, gonna buy this 9 camera, 3mp IP system from Q-see after seeing it in action. http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Chann...100128938.html

Same number of bullets cameras and the 1 PTZ camera like I have now. The NVR has most of the features I want with alarm contact output and a 3 TB WD Purple surveillance HD. It has slots for 4 total HDs to max out on storage. I'm going to add a 2nd HD and see how it goes on storing a month.

The FOV of the cams is not listed on Q-Sees website support told me they were 70 degrees for the bullet cameras. HikTech's were 75 degrees IIRC. The PTZ is 3 degrees to 58 degrees. I really wanted that same PTZ camera with the 20x optical zoom. When I see movement on our block it helps zoom in on faces and license plates. I wish it would track movement and zoom on it's own like in the TV show Person Of Interest but no joy there. Maybe someday we'll get that.

I just didnt have time to build a computer right now and the porch thieves are getting very active here with Prop 47 turning just about every dirtbag in CA loose. AB109 was the first crime wave we had to endure, Moonbeam just doubled down for cleaning out the state prisons.
Old 23 November 2014, 14:28
Livin' On Blues Power

Here's a Lorex system, 16 cameras, 720p rez for $999. The PTZ is 12x optical, not as much zoom as the Q-See 20x optical zoom in my post above.

720p and it uses RG59 instead of cat 5 cable, which I already have from my current CCTV system so I wouldn't have to string new cable. As far as viewing, I really don't see any difference from 1080p compared to 720p video on a big screen. Are these IP cameras or do you have to run cat 5 cable to truly have an IP camera system?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Chann...100125968.html
Old 25 November 2014, 18:26
Authorized Personnel

IP? Yes. These are going to be IP accessible, but if I'm not mistaken; after the DVR due to the cabling/interface. You're right though, if they were Cat5 to begin with you could actually access them with or w/o the DVR.

Optical Zoom is the only zoom I would consider worthy of your dollars.

Perhaps with that Optical Zoom you'll be pleased with the 720P cams, but in my limited experience I'd say, give me more MPX first and foremost.

Part of the reasoning behind my chopped up camera purchases was I didn't want to be married to a system that was limited by my poor choice/s on the front end. After getting a 720 cam @ 1.3 Mpx, I found the 3Mpx cams more to my liking and also at what I considered to be my economic sweet spot in pricing.
Old 5 December 2014, 18:18
Livin' On Blues Power

I went with the Q-See 12 camera system with the 3Mpx cameras. If Q-See's NVR doesn't work out I can always switch over to Blue Iris on a computer.

1 huge glitch on the order was Costco and UPS, I will never order from Costco again. After 4 biz days and no shipping info I contacted them and asked WTH? They claimed there were at the mercy of the vendor Q-See to send them tracking info. After 6 days I got an email at 7pm from UPS saying my $2400 package was due for delivery that night so I flew home to make sure the active porch thieves around here didnt make a score. Waited till 11pm and then found out it was out on UPS truck at 5am for delivery but was rescheduled to next day. Waited most of the next day to be sure I got the package and finally UPS showed up.

I also tried to sign up for UPS' My Delivery or whatever it's called to get email notices on deliveries. They were unable to verify my address on my phone billing so they mailed it to me. lol. That really works out when you need tracking info now. There was NO other option to verify my address I guess. Total failure on UPS and Costco. Amazon, ebay, Newegg, Fry's are a breeze with same day tracking or next day. Guess where I'll be spending my money.

I've done drop shipping, there is no excuse in this day and age to have 6 days for tracking info to get to customer. How they stay in business with that policy I dont know.

One last note, I found out you don't need to be a Costco member to order from them online. I was charged for just the camera system and no shipping also. Not sure what their amount is for free shipping or if it was a promotional thing.

Last edited by spectr17; 5 December 2014 at 18:24.
Old 26 December 2014, 10:47
Authorized Personnel

Blue Iris 4

Blue Iris 4 is out. 64bit version, hence the below interest to probably most folks. . .

"A 64-bit version is now available. This version is capable of using all available RAM in your PC whereas the 32-bit version is limited to only a couple of GB before it becomes unstable due to out of memory conditions".

Version 2 & 3 folks can get the new version at 1/2 price.

You'll need to check for updates from within BI to find the coupon!!
Old 11 August 2015, 20:07
Authorized Personnel

Port forwarding trouble

I've used it in the past, but now, today I cannot get port forwarding to work so that I can access my Cameras via ip.
Using Blue Iris and my netgear router.

As an aside, using CanYouSeeMe.org, it does not see any open ports that I plug into it. Using CMD netstat -a I find many ports listening, enter those at canyouseeme, and nothing!!

Any ideas of what I may be forgetting on my port forwarding??
old WDNR3300 netgear.
Old 11 August 2015, 22:57
Administrator

So, Geeks, My cheap 9 Samsung Smartcams with live audio and voice back and while recording to Google Drive for free and viewing my Florida house inside and outside from California over the Hampton Inn Internet in real time is a no go? (yeah I know it can be hacked, so if the Chinese want to to see me walking around naked at 0400, have at it).
Old 13 August 2015, 00:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
So, Geeks, My cheap 9 Samsung Smartcams with live audio and voice back and while recording to Google Drive for free and viewing my Florida house inside and outside from California over the Hampton Inn Internet in real time is a no go? (yeah I know it can be hacked, so if the Chinese want to to see me walking around naked at 0400, have at it).
Having sufficient bandwidth to watch a realtime feed might present an issue from Hampton Inn wifi.

But I don't envision there being a specific technical limitation - bandwidth notwithstanding - that would prevent you from doing so.

Are you asking about software that would enable you to do such a thing - because that *does* exist - or the viability of doing so on a possibly dodgy connection?
Old 11 July 2016, 13:17
In Vino Veritas

Bump. I started looking into this but I'm probably one of the least tech savvy on this board. I'm thinking I'll only need 3-4 cameras, PoE (?). I don't have an issue with wireless but if I have to wire for power why not just do PoE? But the function I'd be looking for would be intergraded with door locks, lights, and heat, that can all be controlled by my phone. Then just run everything to a NAS with hard dives?

I don't see a need to pay a company for monitoring. Ideally, I'd like a camera that has a motion detection that can ping an alert on my phone and I can see over IP. Then just call the popo myself, or at least have footage.

Thoughts? Recommendations for apps? I run OSi.

Our new posting rules