SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 25 October 2015, 21:30
In Vino Veritas

I thought you had to be 18 to post here?
Old 25 October 2015, 22:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I thought you had to be 18 to post here?
Hmm...I'd have figured someone else would catch that...someone concerned with following the rules...someone who pays attention to regulations...someone other than HM...
Old 26 October 2015, 11:19
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
Hey guys, I'm 17y/o at the moment and turn 18y/o in three (3) months. I graduate High School in five(5) months.

Should I enlist with an 18X-Ray or Ranger contract right out of high school or should I go to college first?
Son,

Unless you're posting from a smartphone? May I suggest that you "initially" attend college?

Anyways, if I could turn back the clock...I would've continued on with my college education before enlisting; you can't take away an individual's education.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 26 October 2015, 11:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Son,

Unless you're posting from a smartphone? May I suggest that you "initially" attend college?

Anyways, if I could turn back the clock...I would've continued on with my college education before enlisting; you can't take away an individual's education.
Why? The post 9/11 GI Bill is amazing. In my opinion going to college just because is worse than enlisting just because. In the military some people need some life skills that they don't currently have and get paid to learn them. Going to college without a good plan can fuck you if you have any aspirations of ever going into school beyond a bachelors.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 26 October 2015, 12:17
#AllLionsMatter

Jong,

I'm "not" saying he should not join the military! I was only "suggesting" that he may want too explore the possibility of his college option(s) prior to joining...
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 26 October 2015, 14:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Thought it was Dapper Dan and Ray Bans for your generation?
Cass, we both know it was Brylcream and Raybans, even if they don't.
Old 30 October 2015, 13:32
Confirmed User

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn into a beret. I tried the Army way, did a lot of stuff...but still not a beret. I went to a witch doctor, he had me take some herbs and do a funny dance...still not a beret. I'm thinking I have to visit a french bakery and eat lots of gluten filled baguettes.

Let me know if any of you have figured it out, it's been my dream since I was a kid to be a hat.
Old 30 October 2015, 13:55
Been There Done That

I want to know how you get straight to Ranger School off the street. and then where?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Our new posting rules