SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Combat Control Teams (CCT)

Old 4 December 2019, 05:36

Blue Beret/Red Beret?

I was in Combat Control when the outfit wore the blue beret. I got out, after almost 7 years, well before it changed to the red beret.

Combat Control changed a lot after the Iran rescue attempt in '79. I knew some of the guys involved well. And, I might add, they were some of the guys who I respected. Now I do respect all of the guys who volunteered for CCT, before the change to the red beret, because they could have just as easily been immune to hardships by just saying they didn't want to jump anymore and having one of the best jobs for enlisted in the Air Force, ATC.

But, since that '79 mission and under the guidance of leaders like Coach Carney, Bill O'Brien, John Koren Wayne Norrad and others, the outfit changed drastically. I don't want to seem disrespectful to the men I served with but, honestly, we had a lot of guys who'd never make it in today's CCT.

When I'm identified as a former CCT, I usually feel a bit like a poser. I try to always explain that the outfit is different today than it was when I was in.

I've often wondered if something like this is true with other special outfits? Let's face it, the selection and training has evolved considerably over the decades.
Old 4 December 2019, 07:14
Confirmed User

I see what you are saying, but you wore the Beret, you met the quals of the time. You are one of their brotherhood..
Old 4 December 2019, 21:51
Supporterator

Wayne Norrad conducted my initial PT assessment as a crosstrainee into CCT in 2009.

You ain't no poser, sir. Respecting those who came before. You are a member of our Brotherhood.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:47

Hey IronCross. Wayne is a great guy, huh? I was one of the first that Wayne met when he got into CCT, and arrived at Pope, back in '71/'72. He just, finally, retired completely a couple of years ago and I went to his retirement ceremony at Helen Back in Fort Walton Beach.

And, honestly, you guys are the reason us guys no longer have to explain what CCT is.
Old 5 December 2019, 20:33
Been There Done That

I understand the sentiment. Today's Regiment isn't the one I served in. we weren't what the Ranger Companies of VN/Korea were. or the Bns of the 70s-80s as we were informed by our predecessors. but it's been a positive, more professionally capable progression as far as I can see.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 December 2019, 18:39
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
Hey IronCross. Wayne is a great guy, huh? I was one of the first that Wayne met when he got into CCT, and arrived at Pope, back in '71/'72. He just, finally, retired completely a couple of years ago and I went to his retirement ceremony at Helen Back in Fort Walton Beach.

And, honestly, you guys are the reason us guys no longer have to explain what CCT is.
Truly an awesome guy. Hope you enjoyed Helen Back--I miss their pizza and the people I used to go there with.

Our new posting rules