SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 12 January 2017, 17:23
Combat Dorito

Homestead Florida

Hey folks got my next PCS orders, SOCSOUTH. Looking for any recommendations on living south of Miami. Currently looking at The Hammocks and West Kendall as viable family living areas based on school districts. I know nothing about Miami or the surrounding areas and am looking at buying a house. Any and all help or information will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12 January 2017, 17:41
Old Scroll

When you get to Florida, get yourself a concealed carry permit, and carry whenever you are out and about.

Seriously.

That is the only place I've lived where I actually felt the need.

After you get on the ground and established, come up with a good E&E plan. Between hurricanes and other things that have a propensity for going sideways, you need a sound and rehearsed one. Seriously. South Florida can become a real shit show at the drop of a hat.

Good luck. There are LOTS of folk here who've spent time in the sun down there, so don't be shy to ask.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 January 2017, 17:47
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
When you get to Florida, get yourself a concealed carry permit, and carry whenever you are out and about.

Seriously.

That is the only place I've lived where I actually felt the need.
I'd agree anywhere south of Orlando, having grown up in rural North Central Florida.
Old 12 January 2017, 18:57
Shovel Whisperer

Alligators are not pet friendly. They love the smell and taste of dog.
Old 12 January 2017, 19:23
Combat Dorito

I hear that. My Virginia CCW is still good, I will be updating to a resident Florida permit as soon as I get there.

Gators, not an issue, I'm looking at getting a Peruvian River Otter, El Lobo de Rio. :)
Old 12 January 2017, 21:06
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
Hey folks got my next PCS orders, SOCSOUTH. Looking for any recommendations on living south of Miami. Currently looking at The Hammocks and West Kendall as viable family living areas based on school districts. I know nothing about Miami or the surrounding areas and am looking at buying a house. Any and all help or information will be GREATLY appreciated.
Make sure when you buy a home that you have an inspection on it be with the inspector when he does the inspection
Old 12 January 2017, 23:21
Authorized Personnel

Was stationed out of Homestead back in 1967, my info might be dated.

Florida weather is easy to get used to.

I've found the west coast a lot less hectic than the east, still the wife carries her gun all the time.
Old 12 January 2017, 23:54
Unemployed Stunt Double

Commute from Key Largo or Miami. The area around Homestead AFB is...not where I would live.
Old 13 January 2017, 07:57
Been There Done That

Agree with wildman, go with the most expensive, professional inspector you can find here. Many properties have huge issues due to the humidity and good old boy builders.
Be sure to take a laser temp sensor and check all walls looking for drops in temp indicating wet areas. Also, pay special attention to the condition and age of the AC as well as under counters and in the attic looking for past water damage.
No matter what you'll need to treat for termites, no matter what anyone tells you, just do it.
Welcome to a great place to live.
Old 13 January 2017, 11:45
Old Scroll

ANYTHING older than 1992 was damaged by Andrew.
Be sure mitigation was quality work

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 January 2017, 09:25
Combat Dorito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Agree with wildman, go with the most expensive, professional inspector you can find here. Many properties have huge issues due to the humidity and good old boy builders.
Be sure to take a laser temp sensor and check all walls looking for drops in temp indicating wet areas. Also, pay special attention to the condition and age of the AC as well as under counters and in the attic looking for past water damage.
No matter what you'll need to treat for termites, no matter what anyone tells you, just do it.
Welcome to a great place to live.
This is EXACTLY the type of information I am looking for, Thanks! I will not be living in Homestead area, but have narrowed the search down to The Hammocks in Kendall (or the surrounding school district). The decision was based mainly on school ratings for my daughter, who will be entering Junior high and High school while we are there. I have also been warned to stay away from Lennar Contractors as they had the worst reputation for home builders in Southern Florida.

As PCS time gets closer I will be looking for more guidance on the area, and again my family and I appreciate the help from the SOCOM community!
Old 15 January 2017, 22:29
The atomic zit

navman,

When you are ready, find a Real Estate Agent. One that knows your intended AO. If that Agent is doing their job, they can guide you through the BS.

Home Inspection: You pay, so hire who want, not necessarily the one your agent suggests. Do your research.

Good luck,

S
Old 16 January 2017, 02:49
BTDT

Is grew up there and left in 81. My family lived there for another decade.

We owned a house built in the 1940's. We never had any problems with hurricanes. We just closed the shutters and waited for the wind to stop. Never had any damage and that included Andrew. My mother never left the house. The houses back then were concrete and block. The building codes changed later and that is when all the stick built homes came into the area. So if you get a newer home, when they say evacuate, do not wait. Leave.

Find a good Cuban restaurant and enjoy the food and i agree with the gun permit.
Old 21 July 2017, 03:30
Combat Dorito

After looking at houses for 2 weeks we decided to rent...at least for a year. Cutler Bay area seems nice and the commute is damn decent. Thanks everyone for the info and help, especially the family down there that helped my wife on the search for a home.

Our new posting rules