Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 21 July 2017, 07:15
Been There Done That

Thumbs up Cheap Flights to Asia now!

Seeing some of the cheapest flight over to Asia, have ever seen for August and September. Incredible deals, cheaper than 20 years ago!

Just was looking at ticket to Japan, one week, then onward to Thailand, for one week in September. Start and Finish from Chicago. $675. Then looking at going back to Thailand in August, $700 round trip from Chicago. Bookings through United, but planes operated by Cathay, ANA, Hong Kong. Just recently flew over to Asia on both Cathay and ANA, good service.

Only down side, is hardly get any frequent flier miles for the flights. United has really gone down hill with their FFM. In terms of how many miles awarded, and how many miles you need for rewards. Use to be very easy ten years ago to upgrade on a United flight. Now, difficult, or requires about twice as many miles plus a payment.

I did just cash in most of my remaining United FFM, for a 5 star boutique hotel for a week in Bangkok, when was there last week. Maduzi Hotel. Very nice place.

And the Chicago airport? Well, they recently put in these self service Kiosks for check in. PITA. Everyone was having problems, and getting the message "Wait for a service representative". So you had to wait for them to come by and swipe their card and finish for you. Took less time when you use to just go up to the counter and give your ID and they checked you in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 July 2017, 07:28
Confirmed User

Very nice. Those are some great prices. Lowest I've ever gotten is $900. Enjoy. I'd like to go over to Koh Samet or Koh Chang and chill out in a beach hut for a week.
Old 21 July 2017, 08:17
Been There Done That

Star Alliance has gone downhill in the past year as well.

"Wait for a service rep" usually is to check your documents for a international flight, no?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 21 July 2017, 08:23
Been There Done That

My wife and I fly to PI on Weds/26 July for 29 days. Got our tix in March, Philippine Airlines, non-stop, LAX>MNL>LAX for $595 R/T. We could have gotten cheaper tix via Cathay or China Air but we didn't like the long layovers in Hong Kong (Cathay) or Shanghai (China Air). Short of an Abu Sayaaf kidnapping, earthquake, typhoon or the Mayon Volcano erupting it should be a fun trip.
Old 21 July 2017, 09:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Star Alliance has gone downhill in the past year as well.

"Wait for a service rep" usually is to check your documents for a international flight, no?
I scanned my passport, they had to check the name, as my ticket name and my passport name were slightly different (They abbreviated my first name). But, everyone else at the Kiosks, whether international or even some domestic, was having issues. What a PITA. So if they have to take the time to check, why not just use the counter like they have for decades? It seemed to be actually taking longer, as people standing around at the Kiosks, with service reps have to go from one Kiosk to another to clear. And then if you have bags, then you had to go check in at the counter again anyway. Sigh.

Pretty sad when checking in at Hong Kong and Bangkok, on this last trip, was much more efficient, hassle free and expedient, than in our own American airports. And also not having to take off my shoes when going through security. First time have flown ANA, not a bad airline. Last several trips to Asia, flew Korean and was very pleased with their service/planes. For years have flown United, and their quality/service has really gone down hill. Qatar, Cathay, Thai have always been good. And Singapore...the gold standard.

Last edited by leopardprey; 21 July 2017 at 09:44.
Old 21 July 2017, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
My wife and I fly to PI on Weds/26 July for 29 days. Got our tix in March, Philippine Airlines, non-stop, LAX>MNL>LAX for $595 R/T. We could have gotten cheaper tix via Cathay or China Air but we didn't like the long layovers in Hong Kong (Cathay) or Shanghai (China Air). Short of an Abu Sayaaf kidnapping, earthquake, typhoon or the Mayon Volcano erupting it should be a fun trip.
Is your wife Filipina? Sounds like a great trip. Where in the PI are you going? Stay in Manilla area, or head out to the provinces/islands?

Just stay away from the Balut.

Old 21 July 2017, 12:14
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

PI SocDrink? I'll be doing Bohol, Cebu, and Manila from 02 AUG for 21 days. SWMBO gets to be there full-time.
Old 21 July 2017, 12:15
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

LP: You guys are getting round trip from the States for about 60% of what it costs to get me to the PI round trip from Saudi in Economy on Emirates. You do get what you pay for with them, at least.
Old 21 July 2017, 14:40
Been There Done That

LP/Kpel, we'll be in Manila for a day or so on the front and back ends of our trip and will be in Leyte (Baybay) for 3 1/2 weeks. We have a few day trips planned to Cuatro Islas etc.. Mother in law has a boat so me and my bro in laws and the kids will take it out, drink San Mig Lights and do some fishing.....errrr I mean throw dynamite in the Camotes Sea. The family reunion is the weekend of 11-13 August and we'll be roasting a few lechon on the spit. Last time since I was the only blue-eyed/white skin among 300 Filipino family members I had the honor of giving the swines the good news with the Ginsu.

Attached pic is MacArthur Park at Palo Beach, Leyte where the American's landed in Oct 1944 when they retook the PI from the Japs. We drive by this on the way from the airport > Baybay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macarthur-monument-13.jpg (40.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 21 July 2017, 18:57
Confirmed User

I got my flight to India last month for $650 r/t on Virgin Atlantic.

Supposedly that is a really good price.

I signed up for the premium version of Scott's Cheap Flights during a Black Friday deal he was running last year.

The premium version gets you every e-mail that is sent out(you only get every third e-mail or something on the free version) and you can pick which airports you want to get deals for. You get deals for a ton of different places. I just got an e-mail for flights to Riga, Vilnius, and Krakow from airports near me in the $500s r/t.

The e-mail tells you a date range for the prices, and how to book them so you get around that price.

I recommend it to anyone who travels a lot.

Our new posting rules