SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 30 July 2017, 18:42
FIDO

RFI Fort Benning

Going to Ft Benning to see my nephew graduate basic. What are the good areas to stay or areas to avoid. We are also looking at possiably renting a house instead of staying at a hotel. Anyone know of any?
Old 30 July 2017, 20:16
Authorized Personnel

I have no advice, but please pass my congratulations on to your nephew on his accomplishment.
Old 30 July 2017, 20:33
Shakin' the bush Boss

Congrats to your nephew.

I have no advise either, but please take a big shit on Ft Benning for me.
Old 30 July 2017, 20:51
#AllLionsMatter

Airbnb

Congrats to your nephew.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 30 July 2017, 21:09
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Going to Ft Benning to see my nephew graduate basic. What are the good areas to stay or areas to avoid. We are also looking at possiably renting a house instead of staying at a hotel. Anyone know of any?
All those BNB's on Guy's Map are in the Downtown district. Not a bad area per se, but with SA and you'll be fine. You can stay close to the River and theres a River Walk there with remnants of lots of old stuff. Old Buildings that are being torn down, and some fixtures in the River are still there. I see vagrants on the ALA side when I go there. And a bunch seem to gather at the 14th street bridge. But none even approached me (a fav photo spot). I had Camera gear hangin, tripods, backpacks. . .[ Quick peek at Google Maps shows they're changing the landscaping around there. probably chasing the vagrants off, but who knows. I thought most folks I encountered were damn sedate/d.]

Remember here in GA you can bring your weapon in your car and take it to your Hotel or BNB and all. GA. considers your car an extension of your home. And most folks down this way consider guns normal.

No Weapons on Benning though. Always thought someone should open a gun locker store to rent gun safes while you visit Benning.
Old 30 July 2017, 21:23
Been There Done That

If you're retired, you can stay on post; otherwise Exit 6 on 1 185 is about as close as I would stay.

Lots of troops near the Chickasaw

Don't miss a trip to The Battery- try their 'Special 'Ops' micro brew...tasty!
Old 31 July 2017, 05:41
FIDO

Appreciate all the kind words and information. I'm proud of the kid, the Army was his last and only real chance to accomplish something. It's been 25 years since I was at Benning so I figured it changed a little.

My sister found a house "4 minutes" from the main gate, ummm no. If I remember anything about being right outside the main gate of any base are the many bars, strip clubs, liquor store, pawn shops, and massage parlors. After inspecting pictures of the house I had to veto it. The bars on the windows and doors seemed odd.

I thought about staying at the "Palatial Litepath estates" but I was afraid of waking up to banjo music played by honey boo boo, or someone who looks like Sharky telling me I have a pretty mouth.
Old 31 July 2017, 05:43
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Airbnb

Congrats to your nephew.
Thanks, found a house that was listed there. Figured I'd put it out on here also because I would much rather pay someone on here than some random place.
Old 31 July 2017, 06:38
Been There Done That

Well almost everybody goes to the Infantry Museum. Thats where most OSUT graduate now days. You could spend a whole day there and not see everything. Its free except for food and souvenir shop. there are plenty of places to stay, let your wallet be your guide as you Columbus caters to the visitors from overnite to long term stays. Sand hill is diffrent from main post. You only need one person in the vehicle now with a military ID to get on post, if not the visitors pass building is right by the main gate.
Sand hill gets a huge amount of visitors at graduation time so you won't be by yourself.
Fort Benning has a lot of schools and graduation is like an assembly line production during the week at different times of the day. There is in Columbus so many places to stay and eat that they really have catered to the visitors and tourist. Let your stomach and wallet be your guide.
Enjoy your stay, as they say in the South" Come back and see us !"
Old 31 July 2017, 08:56
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Appreciate all the kind words and information.

I thought about staying at the "Palatial Litepath estates" but I was afraid of waking up to banjo music played by honey boo boo, or someone who looks like Sharky telling me I have a pretty mouth.
No Worries. No one down this way looks like Sharky!

Infantry Museum. As agonyea mentioned is a killer museum. Docent there or at least one of them, very knowledgeable.

Congrats to the Nephew!

Our new posting rules