Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 8 June 2014, 12:28
Make a desert and call it peace.

So did adtexan make it out alive? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 8 June 2014, 12:55
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

He probably did, but the Mets didn't.
Old 8 June 2014, 18:59
Been There Done That

I made it. Thanks for the suggestions. When I got there the crew already had plans for the most part. I have to say that as far as major cities go, Chicago has the nicest people by far. People holding the door for you everywhere. No pushy assholes like in NYC. Surprisingly clean. Besides your retarded gun laws, Chicagoans, you have a great city.

Ate pizza at Lou Malnati's. I thought it was great.

Caught a game at Wrigley. Cubs won. Great stadium.

Ate at a somewhat upscale restaurant called Bristol. A small plate type affair. Had about 10 plates among us and everything was amazing.

Went to Revolution Brewery and spent some time at their bar. Good beers and the staff were cool. Slid us some free beers because my brother in law is a brewer.

Saw some good blues at Kingston Mines. Again, friendly people all over the joint.
Old 8 June 2014, 19:13
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtexan View Post
I made it. Thanks for the suggestions. When I got there the crew already had plans for the most part. I have to say that as far as major cities go, Chicago has the nicest people by far. People holding the door for you everywhere. No pushy assholes like in NYC. Surprisingly clean. Besides your retarded gun laws, Chicagoans, you have a great city.

Ate at a somewhat upscale restaurant called Bristol. A small plate type affair. Had about 10 plates among us and everything was amazing.

Went to Revolution Brewery and spent some time at their bar. Good beers and the staff were cool. Slid us some free beers because my brother in law is a brewer.

Saw some good blues at Kingston Mines. Again, friendly people all over the joint.

Sounds like a successful trip. Glad you enjoyed the Windy City.
Old 8 June 2014, 21:28
Old and Grumpy

Quote:

Looks like you hit some good spots. As long as I've lived or worked in the Chicago area, last week was the first time I had Lou Malnatis pizza. Pretty good stuff. There are a lot of craft brewerys going up around Chicago. I just finished fire protection work on two new ones in Evanston, Smylie Brothers and Temperance Brewery. Kingston Mines is a good Blues bar. Most of the old hole in the wall blues bars are no longer around but there still is some good touristy venues in town.
Old 9 June 2014, 14:12

Quote:
I have to say that as far as major cities go, Chicago has the nicest people by far. People holding the door for you everywhere. No pushy assholes like in NYC.
All the assholes must have had the night off.

Glad you enjoyed your visit and didn't encounter any friction. And Malnatti's does serve up a pretty good pizza. Different, but good.

I have to ask, though, about your overall impression of Wrigley. Did you have a chance to really get a good look? Because as nice as the actual field is, and I really enjoy getting to my seat and watching a game, the facility itself is pretty much a dump.

If it was up to me, I'd leave all the walls around the infeld, the bleachers and scoreboard and then tear everything else down around it and start from scratch. Basically mix a little bit of the old with a whole lot of new.

After they're done with the renovation, I probably won't recognize it as the old ballpark anyway. But I won't have a problem with that, because that place really needs some work.
Old 9 June 2014, 15:11
Confirmed User

Spinner - does Wrigley still have the troughs for pissing and the giant rings for washing your hands? They did the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.
Old 9 June 2014, 15:50

Yes, they still do and according to reports I've read they'll still be there after the renovations.

Which, considering where things stand at the moment, may take another hundred years. Just in time for Wrigley's 200th anniversary.
Old 9 June 2014, 16:18
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Spinner - does Wrigley still have the troughs for pissing and the giant rings for washing your hands? They did the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.
Would you believe people actually paid $200 per piss trough when the Vikings Stadium was demolished? I cannot imagine why anyone would want a smelly piss trough no matter who it belonged to. Maybe some sports bar is putting it in their men's room.
Old 9 June 2014, 16:39
Confirmed User

Maybe the local Golden Corral needed an additional feeding station:)
Old 10 June 2014, 00:01
Been There Done That

I liked Wrigley. I had pretty great seats on the third base line. Looks like most of the seating was pretty good. Yeah the vendor areas are cramped and not as pretty as the newer stadiums but I just got a good vibe from the place.
Old 10 June 2014, 15:36

The really cool thing about Wrigley, which almost cancels out all the negatives associated with a 100 year old facility, is that you can really feel the history.

There have been changes over the years, but for the most part the park you sit in to watch a game today is pretty much the same ballpark that generations of players and fans have passed through. It truly is a piece of the past.

The best seats I've ever sat in by far were on the 3rd base line. In fact, the last 3 games I've attended I sat in the same seats, which were right on the wall, in between the corral where all the photographers hang out and the Cubs bullpen.

I attended a game in those seats several years back with my uncle (who got the tickets from a poker buddy) and his two daughters, one who was about 6 months pregnant at the time.

Those are dangerous seats for anybody to sit in, so I took the aisle seat in case anything came our way, which happens quite a bit at games there. A nice bonus for possibly sacrificing my body for a future Cubs fan.
Old 8 August 2017, 13:01
Been There Done That

Wow
This place is expensive....
Staying at the Intercontinental Hotel for a 4 day Business Conference.
Eating and drinking is big bucks. PerDiem does not come close to covering.
Old 8 August 2017, 14:08
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Wow
The convention market is big in Chicago and those businesses catering to the industry get top dollar. I'm headed out of town tonight or I'd show you some of the more reasonable spots.
Old 8 August 2017, 14:22
Make a desert and call it peace.

Well, there's the traditional way....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65lJGs7YC8

S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 11 August 2017, 20:26
Been There Done That

Left this morning for home.
I have to say that it was a good trip. Found some really good places to eat and drink. Found some Irish place on East Ohio that was really good to eat and have a dozen beers. Just around the corner, up near Michigan Ave there was this great Italian place the had the best chicken parm. Local Craft Beer was hit or miss. Some was good most was.......
Old 13 August 2017, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Wow
If you ever have to set up for a convention at McCormack Place, get ready to be reamed. You can't even plug in an appliance there yourself, it has to be done by somebody with the electricians union, and they'll ding you on some service charge or another.

Everybody has their hand out in Chicago, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Well, there's the traditional way....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65lJGs7YC8

S/F....Ken M
Ah yes, the old SROs.

And don't forget to bring back the cheez whiz, boy! lol

Our new posting rules