SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 1 August 2017, 08:35
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
We arrived in Leyte on Friday morning. 1 hour drive to Baybay and now living the dream. Good food, great people, white sand beaches and ice cold San Miguel.
We need to try for a get together next week or so. Anyone else in the Visayas?
Old 2 August 2017, 20:23

29 hours door to door. Trouble sleeping, as I work nights, but feel great this morning. Having this on arrival didn't hurt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170802_225948-1190x1587.jpg (18.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 2 August 2017, 20:25
Been There Done That

^Where is the balut?

Glad you are back safe in the PI. Enjoy your time with the wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 August 2017, 21:20

SWMBO is still racked out. Apparently, she's more tired from a 90 minute ferry trip than I am. :biggrin :
Old 3 August 2017, 01:32
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpel308 View Post
I hate you. :)

Just got to the airport in Dammam. Arriving in Cebu and meeting SWMBO in 22 hours. I will be pushing beer so I can TRY to sleep on the plane. Doubtful, as I have never slept on a plane in my adult life.

Getting on a ferry 3 hours later, then arrive at the island 4 hours after that.

It's gonna be a LOOONG day.
Its that spoiled USAF life. All I have to do is look at a picture of a poncho liner and I am out.
Old 7 August 2017, 00:29
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Of course there is the saying, "West is Best, East is a Beast" in refinance to directions of flight affecting jet lag.
Pretty much sums up all my travel from the US to the Middle East.
Old 8 August 2017, 07:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpel308 View Post
29 hours door to door. Trouble sleeping, as I work nights, but feel great this morning. Having this on arrival didn't hurt:
LOL
That looks like my dinner table has for the past 12 days. Mabuhay pare ko and enjoy your time home. By the way I think the US/RP just agreed to the US conducting armed drone strikes against ISIS targets down south.
Old 8 August 2017, 08:27
Swimming Upstream

LP, I have the exact same deal...so I just go and get a weeks worth of Ambien, or something similar (if Ambien causes sleepwalking) and take it upon returning home-to force myself into the sleep...rather than being awake until 0200 and unable to wake until 1100......

I would also suggest Melatonin, take it about 2 hours before you need to hit the bed..
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 August 2017, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
LOL
That looks like my dinner table has for the past 12 days. Mabuhay pare ko and enjoy your time home. By the way I think the US/RP just agreed to the US conducting armed drone strikes against ISIS targets down south.
Had a lot of beer last night with my PAF buddy. UAVs were a topic, as well as their C-130 program, due to the unfortunate loss of our Marines and Corpsman down in Mississippi. Their -T birds have been cleared.
Old 15 August 2017, 11:06
Doc McNasty

I've been working in Europe every other month for the past 18 or so. It took me a couple trips to get a routine going, that 1st trip was a monster.

I leave in the evening/afternoon, and I don't sleep on the big flight (NY to Madrid/Zurich/Munich etc). I always catch up on movies, maybe doze off a couple times. Get to my big hub around 0800, usually connect with a hop to final destination around noon, get there by 1400ish. Probably crash for an hour on the regional hop, and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

The challenge then, is to stay awake and EAT DINNER at a normal local time (this is actually a challenge somewhere like Spain, where 2200 is normal). I hit the gym, walk around out in town, see some sights and maybe have a drink or 2. Get a normal dinner, and hit the rack - I'm up at 0600 ready for work the next day no prob.

The only time this backfired was when I flew into Bucharest, and had 6hrs of country driving instead of another hop. I was plenty loopy but made dinner at my hotel in Craiova and was gtg the next day.

I also asked my Dr for a few Ambien as backup - I can honestly say 10 tabs lasted me for over a year.
Old 24 August 2017, 06:16

All I do is readjust my sleep pattern according to my destination's time zone a couple days before my departure. I flew from Atlanta to Dubai (with a couple hrs layover in Amsterdam) over a week ago & it was an evening arrival so I stayed up for most of the flight. I got to Dubai exhausted so I crashed right away & woke up adjusted to the time zone change with no problem
Old 24 August 2017, 19:08
Been There Done That

Wife and I are finally home from PI after 30 days. Arrived at LAX this morning and not jet lag. Yet! Tomorrow will probably feel a bit run down but I'm sure on Saturday & Sunday I'll feel like a Seabag full of rubber dogshit. Oh well, it was worth it.
Old 24 August 2017, 22:05
The Sagacious One

Welcome home Top.

Flew back last week from KSA and got FREE upgrades from Lufthansa to business class. Again, pushed water hard and times my sleep. It was hard to stay awake cause LUF ha some seriously stupid movies. Got home later afternoon and went to bed and slept like a baby for almost 9 hours.

Annnddd I'm still not a pussy so that always helps.
Old 25 August 2017, 05:42

Got to KSA day before yesterday from PI. Stayed overnight in DXB en route. Had to switch over to night shift, so tried to stay up all night. Worked pretty well. I wasn't overly tired on duty last night.
Old 25 August 2017, 11:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Welcome home Top.
Thank you. Slept last night from 2200-0600 and feel pretty good. Wife is still racked out like a Ranger School student on 100% security. Gonna try not to take a nap today and get back on schedule.

Kpel, the Time/Space/Logistics wouldn't support a linkup. We'll be back there for the fiesta and Christmas in December 2018 if you're around.
Old 26 August 2017, 05:43

Sounds good. Will be back end of this coming February.

Our new posting rules