Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 24 November 2017, 01:39

Time Off Overseas

For the contractor types, does anyone regularly spend their off time overseas? If so, where do you go and why? I'm traveling pretty light these days.
Old 24 November 2017, 06:29
Been There Done That

I use to take most of my vacations and if had several months off between contracts, would stay overseas. One of the reasons for doing so was to remain tax exempt-the 330/365 day rule.

Spent most my down time in northern Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Myanmar. See the othe post I did in this section about how you can get great rates for long term stays at luxury hotels. Or you can do the "backpacker" thing as stay at guest houses. There are also some exceptional hotels/places I know of hidden away in in Thailand and Cambodia not really advertised to foreigners that are $25 or under a night, with large swimming pools, great service, breakfast buffets, fitness centers, etc.

Nepal and Vietnam are also places I would recommend, as have spent several months in each of those locations as well on multile occasions.

My recommendation:

Myanmar (Yangon, Inle lake , or Pagan). Just awesome and exotic in so many ways. Some of the most beautiful exotic women you will see. Many ruins and places to see and explore. Like Thailand was , but more conservative, 50 years ago.

Hoi An, Vietnam. Pretty much is The place to chill, explore, live.

Nepal if you would like to do some trekking on the side. Worth a visit for sure. Many cheap guest houses.

Pursat, Kompot, or Koh Kong, Cambodia if looking for sleepy little towns with very inexpensive nice hotels to chill out in.

KL, Malaysia if you want all the modern luxuries of the western world and like shopping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 24 November 2017 at 06:40.
Old 29 November 2017, 14:21

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Old 29 November 2017, 14:33
Been There Done That

If going to Thailand.

Avoid Pattaya (the sexpat sewer, ladyboy, Russian mafia hangout - avoid like the plague ). Bangkok - get out of there or it traps you - too crowded, to westernized, just another big city. Chiang Mai - highly overrated, way too many expats, avoid also.

Where I would suggest: Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Si Chiang Mai ( sleepy little town on Mekong river) .

In terms of big cities, I love Hong Kong but it has gotten real expensive. But if you don't mind spending the money it is still my favorite large city in the world.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 29 November 2017, 14:41
Anesthetized User

Why go home if you love to travel and have no real reason to go home? For me, I loved chilling out in Holland.

Support SOCNET.
Old 29 November 2017, 17:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
If going to Thailand.

Where I would suggest: Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Si Chiang Mai ( sleepy little town on Mekong river).
For what it's worth, I enjoyed my time in Phitsanulok amd Chiang Mai. Its been a couple of years but I had no issues there when it comes to personal security.

Our new posting rules