Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 7 April 2010, 08:31
In From The East

Pocket Amps

Wondered what the consensus is out in the JTAC world on the small pocket amps that are available for the 148....we tried the type that accepts the 5590 and had pretty good success with it...any thought on it or other amps out there. good, bad or ugly......
Old 7 April 2010, 08:42
CombatWombat
Visitor

I'm no JTAC, but I am using the AMTI A-320 amp over here. It rocks and is very solid. Draws power from a BA-5590 series battery which can be heavy. However, if you can find a guy with a Raven UAV, the smaller batteries it uses are compatible at less than half the weight and can handle 4-6 hours of continuous operations at 20 watts.
Old 7 April 2010, 08:55
Been There Done That

Most JTAC's are running with two 148's now instead of the 117F and 148. They love the amps. You are now seeing the 117D getting to units, so some guys are using the Delta and a MBITR.
Old 8 April 2010, 03:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Wondered what the consensus is out in the JTAC world on the small pocket amps that are available for the 148....we tried the type that accepts the 5590 and had pretty good success with it...any thought on it or other amps out there. good, bad or ugly......

I have used an amp which boosts the 148 up to 20watts from the usually max 5 watts. It was GTG, however and a big however it contributed to the 148 "overheating" and causing problems. So depending on what time of year you are downrange could be a factor.
Old 11 April 2010, 12:12
On the Extract Bird

320s have veen inuse for a few years now and do a decent job. Just make sure you use the antenna that comes with it. (It has the radial fins on it). If your try to use the normal 148 antenna, the impedence issues will blow your amp.

Also, the amp is not 100% reliable with some of the A/C, especially on FM, therefore you should always take a big radio (G or F). Your job as a JTAC is CAS and reliable comms, not comfort.

Most guys are running a 117-G and a 152, but if you have to run a 148, the amp is recommended, but should not be your only radio.

MS
Old 29 August 2010, 00:43

Hey, I've been running two small radios (152/148 or 152/152), and I've been getting bad bleed over between nets. Happens with all nets FM/V/U between the two radios, and I've tried all variations (ant., pwr settings, headsets, PTT's). I've asked around and have gotten mixed answers. Anyone find anyway to mitigate this problem?
Old 26 June 2011, 14:48
Confirmed User

Tactical Support Equipment Inc has their new MB50 amp out now. We used it last week and got a solid 50 watts out of it one one BA5590. It has a power output switch to throttle it back when not needed. What is really cool is it uses the same antenna connector that the 117F and PSC-5 use so I was able to attach a real antenna to it. That heat sink antenna needed for the a320 amp is junk.

TSE Recon MB50 Amp

Our new posting rules