Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 30 April 2015, 20:58

Active Duty Civil Affairs out of 68W AIT

Hello all,

I did try to search for this question, but the posts I found that were similar were several years old, and I'm not sure that they really applied anymore.

Anyway, I would very much like to steer towards being a civil affairs medic when I graduate from AIT in a month. I do have airborne "guaranteed" in my contract. I asked my platoon sergeant if civil affairs ever sends out recruiters like airborne and rangers do, but he said that he's never seen one since he has been here. He also said "why would special operations want a medic fresh from AIT when they could have their pick of experienced ones that have seen some deployments?" I can't argue with his logic, but I kind of hope he's wrong.

Now I looked at the SORB site, which hasn't been updated in several months, but it made it sound like to volunteer for Civil Affairs, you need to be at least an SPC4, and have a certain time in service.

I was curious, and hoping if anybody on here knew if there was any chance of being selected if I dropped a packet for it while I was in AIT, or if I'd even be able to, if it would be better to wait until I graduated and made it to the big army, or if volunteering could even be done on a first enlistment.

I apologize for the long post,
Thanks for reading,
Barry
Old 1 May 2015, 06:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarry2013 View Post

I was curious, and hoping if anybody on here knew if there was any chance of being selected if I dropped a packet for it while I was in AIT, or if I'd even be able to, if it would be better to wait until I graduated and made it to the big army, or if volunteering could even be done on a first enlistment.

I apologize for the long post,
Thanks for reading,
Barry
Simple answer...nope. Wait until you meet the prereqs. If an area is waiverable, then request the appropriate waiver. The website you looked at contains phone numbers and email info of SORB recruiters. They are your best POCs.

My recommendation....
- Focus on AIT, graduate at the top and put CA medic to the side for now. You haven't accomplished anything except Basic so far.
- Complete AIT, move to your first unit, be a sponge. Learn skills, PT hard, develop a positive reputation, be the go to guy at your unit.
- Complete SSD1 ASAP and wait for your chance to go to WLC. First window that opens for WLC, jump on it. Graduate as Honor Grad, score 300 or better on the APFT and be the top Soldier in everything. Solidify your reputation.

Accomplishing all this will bridge you closer to meeting the Pre Req Time in Service (TIS) and you can apply. When you do apply, you will have a solid packet vs. an average....if you follow my advice.

So, to wrap it up....don't ask about SOF anything from you PLT SGT at AIT. Finish AIT. When your mind wanders off, do burpees and re-read my response and review what parts you have accomplished. Then do burpees again for GP.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 1 May 2015, 23:07

Thank you for the response!
Old 6 May 2015, 17:13
On the Extract Bird

Civil Affairs is a diverse group of officers and experienced enlisted soldiers with a skill set for use in civil operations. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, public works, etc. You are to wet behind the ears right now to be thinking of CA. Get your training done first and put some experience under your belt. Keep in mind I was Ranger/SF tabbed with unit operator time under my belt before I did a CA stint as an officer. CA is a different animal altogether and is unique to the Army. Its why the vast majority of CA are Reservists who apply their real world civilian work jobs to CA. Will say though the women in my CA unit were seriously hot.. lol That was cool
Old 10 July 2015, 07:35

Due to the shortage of W4s (aka SOCM Medics) and the fact that the 85th Civil Affairs Brigade adopted a Reserve MTOE rather than mirror the 95th there was a program that recruited 68Ws from AIT to fill the medic positions on teams within the 85ths. Soldiers were sent to civilian paramedic school and then given dental and vet training in an attempt to produce a W4 lite medic; additionally as the 85th supports FORCECOM units so it is not an airborne asset so medics who go through this program are not airborne qualified.

With the news that has come out the past few days the future of the 85th is in question and my guess this program will be out the door as well. In all honestly the idea to take inexperienced medics and stick them on CATs was a disservice to the CAT as well as the Soldier, most teams deploy and leave their medic behind so this is just something to think about about if they are still offering this program to you all. Additionally these young Soldiers were not given language training and had to learn all CA methodology as OJT.

As a current CA Team Leader and former Flight Medic (back in the day) I would heed the advice given above, if you really want to be a CA Medic then go to selection, and when you have the chance (either before or after CAQC) raise your hand to volunteer to go to SOCM. This will vastly increase your medical skills as you'll come out pretty much a walking PA as well as give you a language and teach you CA methodology and you'll come out as 38BW4 and you'll be a much desired asset. In addition to the suggestions above once you get to your unit I would suggest the following:

(1)Get to know your PA and prove yourself to him/her have them teach you advance medical skills. There should be no reason even as JR Soldier that you aren't learning how to suture, taking ACLS, and conducting/assisting minor surgical procedures.

(2) Volunteer to teach courses, first aid, CLS, field sanitation, it doesn't matter public speaking and the ability to teach others is a key component to our mission set.

(3) PT, PT, PT... You should be scoring at least a 280 on your APFT, be able to pass a 5 mile at the ranger standard and be able to do double digit pull ups as well as Ruck!... if you can't dominate a UBRR you are wrong, if you don't know what that is google it and use that as a basis for your training.

(4) attend an Active Duty CA briefing as many people have the wrong idea about what we do, even on this thread that is evident.

To reiterate they still might be offering the program at AIT for you to go CA via the 85th but I would AVOID that at all costs, hold what you got and if you truly want to be a 38BW4 go to selection and see if you got what it takes.

Hope that helps
Old 11 July 2015, 20:19

Hello,

Really timely response Darastan. Our platoon sergeant yesterday took names for civil affairs volunteers. I hadn't checksd this thread in a while and put my name down for it. In hindsight it probably was a bad decision. If someone would not mind elaborating for me, could you explain the differences between the 95th and the 85th? From what I can gather the 95th is special operations, and the 85th is not? Do members of both have selection/q course? Do both have the same mission set? I hadn't heard of the 85th really until yesterday.
Old 18 July 2015, 09:43

BBarry,

I would highly encourage you to see if you can remove your name from that list, the writing is on the wall for the 85th CA BDE, reference articles announcing cuts at JBLM, Fort Stewart, Fort Hood and Fort Bliss. As the 85th goes so will the CAMS program that you are entering into, there is no way in god's green earth USASOC will allow non W4 trained medic straight out of schoolhouse on a team let alone a mission.

To answer your question the difference between the 85th and 95th boils down to who they support and the funding lines that those supported elements bring. The 95th supports USASOC units, the 85th supports FORSCOM units. The 85th is still a very young unit and the Regular Army has NO idea what the hell to do with the capabilities they bring so there are not many mission sets for them especially in the EUCOM, PACOM and AFRICOM BNs. The other major difference is that 95th as a USASOC unit is on airborne status the 85th is not and of course the difference in Medics which is a result of the MTOE differences. Oh and one more difference the 85th has BN's spread out across CONUS while the 95th is ONLY at Fort Bragg.

All active duty 38A and 38B personnel go through the same selection, language training, airborne and CAQC. It really comes down to luck and the fickle hand of fate at branch as to where you are assigned out of CAQC. As previously stated anyone doing the CAMS program will NOT go through language, airborne or CA training.

As stated before I highly suggest you spend around 2 years at your unit learning how the army works, becoming a master of your trade and then volunteering to go to CAAS, SFAS or SOCM.

If you can talk to your Drill Sergeant to see if they have some airborne slots available I would jump on that chance. The 173rd and the 82nd are great units to spend your young Army years you'll learn a lot and have good leadership available to guide you. If you get assigned to the 82nd you'll be right next door to the mother ship when it comes to all things USASOC and SOCM.

I love the motivation troop but please remember the 5 SOF truths as you decide your next move:

(1) Humans are more important than Hardware.

(2) Quality is better than Quantity.

(3) Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

(4) Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

(5) Most Special Operations require non-SOF assistance

And once again as a former medic and current CA Team Leader I highly encourage you to forgo the CAMS program, even more so in the current environment of reductions.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions
Old 23 July 2015, 13:03

^ love the above post, actually read chosen soldier while in AIT.

As it turns out, I was selected for the CAMS course. However, they wanted me to drop my airborne slot so I could do it. I refused, and will be fulfilling my orders sending me to the 173rd in Italy after airborne school. It's very clear now that this course wasn't really what I was looking for anyway. Thank you everyone for posting, and giving advice, I will go to a unit, and then shoot for selection in a couple of years
Old 24 July 2015, 13:41

On a related question, I have a friend that was likely a class ahead of the OP. He is reporting today @ Ft Stewart. He got the potential "downsizing" speech before leaving FT Sam. He is already a paramedic with around 10 years exp, EMS instructor experience, had airborne originally contracted/physical, just ended up not going with the CA position. (came in as an E4). Does he have any increased chance getting to the USASOC side?

thanks
MK
Old 29 July 2015, 23:04

Good luck Trooper, keep up the motivation and enjoy all Europe has to offer (and that means more than bars and clubs, but those are fun too)

-Break-

No one knows what then plans are for the CAMS medics if/when the writting on the wall becomes official, honestly a 68W is a 68W so intrapost transfer or PCS based on time on station is my opinion of what will happen. The Army is strapped for cash, there is no point in PCS'ing someone who can go down they street to a clinic or line unit.

If your battle wants into the USASOC realm the past medical experience isnt going to do much getting in right now as he is brand new to the army and just showed up to his first duty statio. He's going to have to go through selection (SFAS, CAAS, etc...) Or work a drug deal to get over to Hunter and go to and pass socms.
Old 8 August 2015, 18:14

That's something I was curious about. Is there any point in dropping a 4187 for courses like SOCM? Can you go if you aren't attached to a special ops unit? I get that I wouldn't be high on the priority list as a new private, but would they even consider submitting a request?
Old 8 August 2015, 18:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarry2013 View Post
That's something I was curious about. Is there any point in dropping a 4187 for courses like SOCM? Can you go if you aren't attached to a special ops unit? I get that I wouldn't be high on the priority list as a new private, but would they even consider submitting a request?
Nope. If you were to apply for SFAS and was selected, your chance of going to the 18D course is pretty good. If you went to CAAS and was selected, you would stand a good chance to get into SOCM.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed

Our new posting rules