Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 24 September 2015, 12:40
Confirmed User

37F/38B available in 75th RR

Just wanted to inform those interested, the 75th Ranger Regiment is now accepting 37's & 38's to attend RASP 1 or 2 and become and operational part of the regiment.

See here for more info:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/7...recruiting.htm
Old 24 September 2015, 13:29
Old Scroll

Proliferation of staffing.

I see this as an unnecessary addition to the Regiment... that role being best handled by the 96th CA and the POG.

What in the world do Rangers want to get bogged down in any area for long enough that they might need PSYOP or CA assets?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 September 2015, 13:54
Administrator

Evolution.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 24 September 2015, 14:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

I see this as an unnecessary addition to the Regiment... that role being best handled by the 96th CA and the POG.

What in the world do Rangers want to get bogged down in any area for long enough that they might need PSYOP or CA assets?
I understand what you're saying, but the skillsets that we bring to the table are value added, even to a quick hit target. MILDEC, DISO, and STO are skills that we possess that regiment can use at will. Having us as a part of the regiment would allow for easier planning of these ops instead of sending up a request to POG for a planner, especially since these sometimes require a long drawn out planning process. I see it as value added, not only to the 75th but to us psyopers that would like the operational experience with such a high optempo organization.
Old 24 September 2015, 16:46
Been There Done That

How much ammo you carrying?
Old 24 September 2015, 16:47
Old Scroll

No, the POG and CA BN can embed their best few for the mission, as they've always done. Why create new slots, adding to the bulk of the Regiment, when it's not necessary.

Also, creating opportunity for soldiers who would like to experience life in the big league is just plain stupid, IMO.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 September 2015, 17:04
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
No, the POG and CA BN can embed their best few for the mission, as they've always done. Why create new slots, adding to the bulk of the Regiment, when it's not necessary.

Also, creating opportunity for soldiers who would like to experience life in the big league is just plain stupid, IMO.
Agreed. More people to support, more admin, bigger footprint. What I liked about Regimemt was that it was small and nimble. Maybe I'm just old...
Old 24 September 2015, 17:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBlown37F View Post
I understand what you're saying, but the skillsets that we bring to the table are value added, even to a quick hit target. MILDEC, DISO, and STO are skills that we possess that regiment can use at will. Having us as a part of the regiment would allow for easier planning of these ops instead of sending up a request to POG for a planner, especially since these sometimes require a long drawn out planning process. I see it as value added, not only to the 75th but to us psyopers that would like the operational experience with such a high optempo organization.
Not to start a dogpile here, but please enlighten me, based upon your SOF experience (you were dropped from SFAS, right?) how you think your MOS will contribute to the Regiment's mission, of which you have never been a part of. While I'm sure the Army has a reason which is why they opened up this MOS however you posted that "I see it..." and such.

I'm going to get some popcorn and be right back for this one. This should be good...

Last edited by 275RLTW; 24 September 2015 at 17:36.
Old 24 September 2015, 17:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Not to start a dogpile here, but please enlighten me, based upon your SOF experience (you were dropped from SFQC, right?) how you think your MOS will contribute to the Regiment's mission, of which you have never been a part of. While I'm sure the Army has a reason which is why they opened up this MOS however you posted that "I see it..." and such.

I'm going to get some popcorn and be right back for this one. This should be good...
My SOF experience spans about a year and a half, with 1 deployment, but that doesn't change the amount of knowledge I can asertain within that time by attending courses, or gaining insight from some senior leaders within the regiment. After attending said courses and gaining a better understanding on how they play into the larger ongoing picture, I can see how having a STO competent PSYOPer would benefit the regiment, or how a PSYOP NCO is a cornerstone in a MILDEC planning group. But do I know exactly what is on the 75th's radar? No. Nor did I claim such. Given the general understanding of the regiment's overall mission, I can generally understand how we would fit in supporting their mission set.

So my question to you is given your experience, how do you think PSYOP would fit into the regiment's mission? Were you apart of the POG or a former 37? Do you understand PSYOP's mission enough to explain as to why we SHOULD NOT be apart of the regiment?

So I'll grab a beer and wait...
Old 24 September 2015, 17:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBlown37F View Post
My SOF experience spans about a year and a half, with 1 deployment, but that doesn't change the amount of knowledge I can asertain within that time by attending courses, or gaining insight from some senior leaders within the regiment. After attending said courses and gaining a better understanding on how they play into the larger ongoing picture, I can see how having a STO competent PSYOPer would benefit the regiment, or how a PSYOP NCO is a cornerstone in a MILDEC planning group. But do I know exactly what is on the 75th's radar? No. Nor did I claim such. Given the general understanding of the regiment's overall mission, I can generally understand how we would fit in supporting their mission set.

So my question to you is given your experience, how do you think PSYOP would fit into the regiment's mission? Were you apart of the POG or a former 37? Do you understand PSYOP's mission enough to explain as to why we SHOULD NOT be apart of the regiment?

So I'll grab a beer and wait...

I already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
How much ammo you carrying?
Old 24 September 2015, 18:01
Old Scroll

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Evolution.
Or did you mean DEvolution?

Why not add welders and mechanics... they've got some spiffy vehicles. Maybe some nice dietitians, too.... Hooahs gotta eat right...

Line companies are pretty much sacrosanct. But the HOG... they're getting outta control over there with the bloat.

.02 Kopecks from a guy who remembers (successful) Company-sized missions directed by only a couple of breaks in squelch, BN commander with red lens with a couple of guys up under a couple of ponchos, and that was the entire BN staff in the woods. Sure, why not add some 37 / 38 folks. They need the experience.

We don't have an emooji for "I'm glad I'm out"

Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 24 September 2015 at 18:17.
Old 25 September 2015, 06:34
Confirmed User

MB37, being SF and CA I have to agree w/ the Rangers on his one. I' been on both sides of CA/PSYOPS being attached to Conventional and SOF units and as long as you show up prepared, with equipment and in shape you won't have a problem fitting in and will be treated as one of the team. I don't see the value in adding our slots to the Regiment. But then I'm old and retired.
Old 25 September 2015, 08:14
One jump chump

Old news. We've had a dude down there on the staff for some time now. Planning position and staff integration. Teams continue to be sourced from the parent Group. Wouldn't make sense from a sourcing or training perspective to have permanent party teams down at Regiment or the battalions. We are spread too thin and have higher priority competing requirements. Also doesn't make sense to have a dick measuring contest over silly shit.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 26 September 2015, 22:35
Been There Done That

The Regiment has mechanics and dieticians.

I'm stating the obvious, but things have greatly changed from patrolling in the woods in the peacetime.

I would be willing to give them a shot. We have done dumber things in the past.
Old 26 September 2015, 22:36
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
The Regiment has mechanics and dieticians.

No shit.

Sharky was right... Evolution.

I'll shut up now. fuck.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 September 2015, 22:42
Been There Done That

If it doesn't work out, then the slots get cut and we can go back to the status quo, with lessons learned.
Old 29 September 2015, 21:48

I thought they already had that asset

What does B/9 have to say about this? Are they not doing what they used to anymore?
Old 29 September 2015, 22:12
One jump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumm View Post
What does B/9 have to say about this? Are they not doing what they used to anymore?
See my previous post.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 29 September 2015, 22:26

LC

Rgr, I misread the original post, thought it was confirmation. It didn't make sense remotely (the slots not his post) given manpower realities.
Old 29 October 2015, 21:01

I'm new to CA, but from what I have seen, CA personnel need to stay where they are operationally. A planning team at most, but no more should be integrated.

Our new posting rules