Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Combat Control Teams (CCT)

Old 22 November 2016, 18:32
The atomic zit

Lightbulb CCT pipeline question...

Short story: I have a Supervisor with a company we contract to; he states, he went to six weeks of basic and then to your A school. He works for the company that works for mine. He blew out his knee after four weeks at A school. He was given a "general/administrative" discharge. And at this point he has no VA benefits and his "history" does not show he ever served.

Is any of the above accurate? I am not on poser hunt. Just trying to figure out if that is how works or if he is FOS.

V/R

Stretch
Old 22 November 2016, 20:19
Supporterator

Never heard of any "A School" in the context of the CCT pipeline.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 22 November 2016, 20:34
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
Never heard of any "A School" in the context of the CCT pipeline.
His words, not mine.

Blew out his knee playing basketball... presumably while at "A school"...

He won't last long, as he his not keeping up, regardless of time in the Air Force, if any.

Thank you.

S
Old 22 November 2016, 21:15
Six Minutes!

Out of my lane here as far as CCT...

But if you trip and fall off the bus on day 1 of basic training and process out, you're eligible for VA benefits regarding anything that happened to you from the time you enlisted until after processing out. Even playing basketball while at tech school (I sprained my wrist in AIT playing basketball, it's documented in my records, and it was evaluated by a VA doctor upon ETS- service connected, but 0%).
Old 22 November 2016, 21:19
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Out of my lane here as far as CCT...

But if you trip and fall off the bus on day 1 of basic training and process out, you're eligible for VA benefits regarding anything that happened to you from the time you enlisted until after processing out. Even playing basketball while at tech school (I sprained my wrist in AIT playing basketball, it's documented in my records, and it was evaluated by a VA doctor upon ETS- service connected, but 0%).
Depends if the AF documented the injury.
He would have received and entry level discharge if he had less than 180 days.
Old 22 November 2016, 22:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
And at this point he has no VA benefits and his "history" does not show he ever served.
There is a requirement to serve 180 consecutive days to gain eligibility for many VA benefits if separated before serving the full term of the first enlistment. An entry level separation happens during this period. However there still is a separation from military service document.

BMT hasn't been six weeks long for many years and regardless I call BS on the claim of medical elimination after four weeks at A school. To proceed through the courses to get to any course that could be considered an A school in the CCT training pipeline would put him beyond 180 days of service. If he served as claimed he has a service history that can be verified through a FOIA request.
Old 22 November 2016, 22:39
Confirmed User

"A" School is a term the Navy uses for a MOS school.

Winston Churchill
Old 22 November 2016, 22:52
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
There is a requirement to serve 180 consecutive days to gain eligibility for many VA benefits if separated before serving the full term of the first enlistment. An entry level separation happens during this period. However there still is a separation from military service document.

BMT hasn't been six weeks long for many years and regardless I call BS on the claim of medical elimination after four weeks at A school. To proceed through the courses to get to any course that could be considered an A school in the CCT training pipeline would put him beyond 180 days of service. If he served as claimed he has a service history that can be verified through a FOIA request.
Guesstimated time stamp. He enlisted in 83-4-5.

I knew he was FOS. Just trying to settle my mind before he goes away. He could claim Wonder Twin Powers, but if he can't keep up... he can't.

S
Old 23 November 2016, 10:59
Been There Done That

LOL, he cannot even legitimately claim going to and being eliminated from the Pararescue-Combat Control Indoctrination Course (HQ MAC OL-H, Lackland AFB), December 1988-2008.

The CCT career field lacked any occupational fitness standards and any entry classification physical fitness screening, development and selection prior to 1988. No requirement to be a diver/combat diver or MFF parachutist for award and retention of CCT AFSC prior to 1988.

There was only one STS in 1983 and no PJ or CCT got assigned there as a first duty assignment out of formal training required for award of 3-skill level AFSC. In fact there was significant screening and selection required for any experienced and seasoned CCT or PJ desiring an assignment to that unit.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
The 180 days is a requirement for things like a VA home loan and education benefits.

It is not a requirement for VA disability benefits.

If private snuffy has sworn in and on his way to basic training and gets hit by a car (subject to an LOD) he is covered for VA disability benefits.
Old 23 November 2016, 13:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post

It is not a requirement for VA disability benefits.
Correct, but I was addressing the asserted lack of eligibility for VA benefits by the OP combined with the asserted general discharge before completing the initial entry into military service enlistment (BTW an Honorable Discharge is also an administrative discharge). Further even a VA zero disability rating for an injury incurred during service does represent a VA recognized and documented service connected injury.

Blowing out a knee (as I personally know several service members who have done so playing basketball and while participating in other sports and recreational activities) may be sufficient to cause a medical disqualify to remain in an AFSC such as PJ or CCT but not sufficient to force a medical separation from military service.

Until the 1990s GTEP enlistment contracts for PJ and CCT were rare, the preferred entry classification method was to seek out volunteers while they were going through BMT. The importance of GTEP enlistment contract is prior to the early 1990s a person medically eliminated from the PJ and CCT training pipelines were most often and typically involuntarily retrained into another career field, as a MEB seldom determined individual was medically disqualified to perform general military service in other Air Force career fields.

Last edited by johca; 23 November 2016 at 13:16.
Old 25 November 2016, 21:23
Confirmed User

Due to several medical issues I was removed from status in '79 but remained in radio maint. (when CCT was both ATC and Ground Radio Maint. AFSC's) as a support tech. for a few years after. Stayed on in the AF till 1990. If he blew out his knee so bad as to have to leave the AF I think he would have a med discharge not admin/gen. If he was in the AF I think he was put out for other reasons he's not disclosing.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Our new posting rules