Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Test Area and How To Questions

Old 8 January 2017, 01:46
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Say what you want, I liked the old T10. I got real good at steering that nylon. The -1 you could really only turn in circles. I jumped Mtn RGR Camp DZ's 4 years. Never went in the woods and volunteered for wind dummy all the time. Normal PF procedures don't exactly play out up there in Dahlonega.
The big advantage of the T10 was that left to itself it went from up to down. Even if the jumper never touched a riser they would end up ok.

The -1 required you to actually think while you were in the air and get yourself positioned correctly relative to the wind direction. If you didn't touch the toggles and you were in marginal winds you were in for a real surprise when you landed.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:24
Been There Done That

The MC-6 is the current steerable SL chute. Much more maneuverable than the -1 series, but also requires the jumper to make decisions all the way to the ground. I've seen a couple of jumpers run with the wind all the way in on windy days. The result is a literal feet-shoulder-head generally, and separated shoulders are not uncommon.
Old 8 January 2017, 09:54
Been There Done That

I was in Pfdr course at Benning around 92. Was jumping -1's. I hadn't jumped them that often. A guy in the class told me if you pulled your toggles all the way down then pop them loose just before landing you would land easy. Soooo, I jumped landed about 20 meters from the smoke. DZSO & everyone was near. I tried the toggles I landed so easy, I done a stand up landing.

I then noticed the DZSO and senior Cadre near, so I put on the fakest plf you ever saw.

I was immediately called over for counseling.

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 8 January 2017 at 09:58. Reason: Typo
Old 8 January 2017, 11:22
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The MC-6 is the current steerable SL chute. Much more maneuverable than the -1 series, but also requires the jumper to make decisions all the way to the ground. I've seen a couple of jumpers run with the wind all the way in on windy days. The result is a literal feet-shoulder-head generally, and separated shoulders are not uncommon.
I have seen a few of those myself.

AFSOC had us jumping the MC-6 exclusively, I much preferred it to nonsteerable chutes.
economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth,
President of the UN Foundation
Old 8 January 2017, 16:28
giving you a number

Quote:
I was in Pfdr course at Benning around 92. Was jumping -1's. I hadn't jumped them that often. A guy in the class told me if you pulled your toggles all the way down then pop them loose just before landing you would land easy. Soooo, I jumped landed about 20 meters from the smoke. DZSO & everyone was near. I tried the toggles I landed so easy, I done a stand up landing.

I then noticed the DZSO and senior Cadre near, so I put on the fakest plf you ever saw.

I was immediately called over for counseling.
I had a friend pull one of those. He had been a rigger - at the time this happened he was a logistics SGM and making his last jump before retiring. i still have the mental image because it was so comical. Same situation, he's coming in to land about 30 ft away from the turn in point, pulls both toggles down to his knees. does the standing landing and just stands there for a two or three count as folks are starting to cheer, then pulls one of those jump school demonstration PLFs and everyone starts laughing. He gets up, takes a bow, takes off his harness and just starts rolling up his chute.
Old 8 January 2017, 16:48
Been There Done That

You can flare pretty well with the MC-6, and standing landings are not hard to do. Broken control lines are also pretty common with aggressive turns and flares, and breaking one or both control lines at altitude leads to consequences at the intersection of gravity, wind, and momentum, with ground obstacles making guest appearances.

I had occasion to observe a Robin Sage student lower his ruck at altitude, and proceed to fly it into the suspension lines of another jumper, with dramatic results for both...
Old 9 January 2017, 01:01
Been There Done That

I flared a MT1-XX too early one night with 0 illumination. That hurts. Fun part of it we landed in a perimeter of Bradley's on an artep. The were freaking out. Tony Nunley & Ken Turner put us out about 2 miles off course.
Old 9 January 2017, 02:37
Administrator

Quote:
Tony Nunley & Ken Turner put us out about 2 miles off course.
You might already know this, but Turner works for Range Control now at Stewart.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 January 2017, 02:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
You might already know this, but Turner works for Range Control now at Stewart.
Good job for him. I had to use a Bradley radio to call RC to have someone pick us up.

Our new posting rules