Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 January 2017, 16:30
Been There Done That

Walt Yost, 5th Group RVN

I ran this by the admins for approval.

https://www.gofundme.com/walter-yost-veteran-needs-help

I just got back from the ICU visiting Walt. The Doctor was there examining him, and Walt's eyes reacted to stimuli, so he's there even though he can't communicate with us.

I know this is a rough time of year financially, for all of us. But if you can chip in the price of a beer or two, it would mean a lot to a good cause with a real world BTDT. Walt and his wife get by on limited social security plus Walt's VA 40% disability check.

fkl

SOA is sending the link to all its members and is also on its Facebook page
Old 9 January 2017, 18:42
Another pool cleaner

Done.
Old 9 January 2017, 21:57
Authorized Personnel

Done. Prayers for your friend.
Old 10 January 2017, 16:23
Been There Done That

Thank you, both. v/r fkl
Old 18 January 2017, 20:28
Been There Done That

Two times today, this afternoon and evening, Walt opened his eyes on his own, resumed blinking while they were open, and then tracked the Doctor's movements for extended periods of time. While I was in the room, he was able to keep them open for over 5 minutes. The Doctor then went over and wrapped Walt's hand around her finger and told him to squeeze. He couldn't. Talked with Walt's wife afterwards, and she relates that he reacts to tickling his feet. It's slow progress, but he's in there and able to comprehend.
v/r
fkl
Old 22 January 2017, 02:44
Confirmed User

Dropped a couple of bucks on GFM. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Old 22 January 2017, 08:16
Been There Done That

Thank you, brother.
He's "awake" keeping his eyes open for hours, focusing and tracking movement. Neurologist says he needs Walt to stick his tongue out in order to determine if higher function exists. Nurses sit out at the station and giggle as a bunch of old Vets sit in Walt's room sticking their tongues out at Walt trying to get him to do the same. It's taking some time. He hits 60 days hospitalization in a couple of weeks - Medicare co=payments and all, we are keeping our fingers crossed. Every little bit of support counts. v/r fkl
Old 22 January 2017, 17:30
Confirmed User

Np. Hope your friend recovers quickly and he can use the money to buy beers instead!
Old 1 February 2017, 17:34
Confirmed User

I was able to give a bit today. I wish I had been able to give more.

How is he doing since your last update?
Old 4 February 2017, 15:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
I was able to give a bit today. I wish I had been able to give more.

How is he doing since your last update?
Brother,
Thank you for your kindness. I have been out of town and got back last night. I went over to see Walt today and his wife Val was there. The Doctor's opinion is that Walt isn't going to get better". He can open, focus and move his eyes, but he is not connecting. He is still breathing through the trach tube and he's still got congestion where they are not taking it out. His 60 day Medicare runs out this week and Val will be getting demands for copayments.
On the "good" side if there is one, is that Walt's condition is diagnosed as Ischemic heart disease, and that is Agent Orange presumptive. The stroke he suffered is diagnosed secondary to his heart disease. Last week, the Doc wrote it up in a letter and Val took it to a VSO, so hopefully, if VA is still fast tracking AO claims, Walt should go to 100% and Val can transfer him to a VA facility and get out from under the copayments.
We are in this for the long haul. The SF/Ranger community in Tallahassee is providing support and assistance as best we can. Val really appreciates the help the go fund me page has done to make ends meet as best that she can. Somehow we'll all manage to muddle through.
v/r
fkl
Old 5 February 2017, 00:35
Confirmed User

Just a question what percent is Walt with the V.A.

Was the V.A. notified when Walt went in to the Hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Brother,
Thank you for your kindness. I have been out of town and got back last night. I went over to see Walt today and his wife Val was there. The Doctor's opinion is that Walt isn't going to get better". He can open, focus and move his eyes, but he is not connecting. He is still breathing through the trach tube and he's still got congestion where they are not taking it out. His 60 day Medicare runs out this week and Val will be getting demands for copayments.
On the "good" side if there is one, is that Walt's condition is diagnosed as Ischemic heart disease, and that is Agent Orange presumptive. The stroke he suffered is diagnosed secondary to his heart disease. Last week, the Doc wrote it up in a letter and Val took it to a VSO, so hopefully, if VA is still fast tracking AO claims, Walt should go to 100% and Val can transfer him to a VA facility and get out from under the copayments.
We are in this for the long haul. The SF/Ranger community in Tallahassee is providing support and assistance as best we can. Val really appreciates the help the go fund me page has done to make ends meet as best that she can. Somehow we'll all manage to muddle through.
v/r
fkl
Old 6 February 2017, 20:48
Been There Done That

Thanks,
He's 40% disabled per VA rating.
Yes, VA knows he went in - they did the heart surgery using MEDICARE, not VA.
They removed the trach tube this afternoon - had to put it back in this evening when he started having breathing issues.

Sent you a PM with added info.
Old 8 March 2017, 16:48
Been There Done That

Walter Yost, Jr (RIP)

Walt put up a valiant fight - but in the end he couldn't win. He passed away at 0400 hrs this morning w/o ever really regaining consciousness. I want to thank everyone here for their support, both emotional as well as financial. You are Brothers (and Sisters). Also for the PMs and suggestions.

For the benefit of all, please plan. Have all your paperwork (DD-214s, important paperwork (including copies of birth certificates and prior marriage licenses and divorce papers) house and car titles, etc) in a safe place and discuss things with your spouse.

In Walt's case, after he spent 60 days in the hospital, Medicare required Walt to make co-pays of over $320 a day for each day beyond 60 days. The hospital pushed them to apply for Medicaid and divested assets.

VA was terrible and let them down. Despite the Doctor's written diagnosis of Ischemic Heart Disease (which is Agent Orange presumptive) Walt's RVN service, and requests to increase his 40% disability rating so Walt could transfer into a VA facility, VA simply delayed everything and never gave him the rating decision. They were informed and well aware of his catastrophic heart condition, the stroke and his dire straights. They acknowledged it was a fully developed claim but would only respond to every inquiry, "Pending decision".

Sorry to vent.....Again, SOCNET thank you for caring for a warrior.
v/r
fkl
Old 8 March 2017, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

RIP
Old 8 March 2017, 17:21
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Warrior!

My condolences on your loss, FKL!
Old 8 March 2017, 20:53
Authorized Personnel

R.I.P. Warrior...
Old 8 March 2017, 21:07

R.I.P. Warrior

FKL,
Does his wife still need assistance with finances? I don't have much to give but I have something. Is the GFM still the best way?
Old 8 March 2017, 21:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
R.I.P. Warrior

FKL,
Does his wife still need assistance with finances? I don't have much to give but I have something. Is the GFM still the best way?
Ditto
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 March 2017, 21:57
Confirmed User

RIP. It makes me madder than hell that the VA left him twisting in the wind. Whoever is responsible for this at the VA should do the world a favor and eat a bullet.
Old 8 March 2017, 23:10
Confirmed User

RIP, Warrior.
Condolences on your loss, FKL.

I gave what I could at the the time. Will the fund continue for the family??

Our new posting rules