Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 8 April 2011, 20:13
Been There Done That

Aircrew member survey

Guys, Pass this around. It is an official DOD survey about back pain and military flying. Not sure what they can or will do with the info but it may help in some way.

Took me less than 10 minutes.

http://www.dodhelicopterseatsurvey.c...0/default.aspx

Mods, not sure if this should be posted anywhere else as well, feel free to pass it on.

NSDQ-SGDM
Old 19 April 2011, 12:34
Confirmed Abuser

Thanks for the link. I will post it on another Army Pilot Forum.

It is the least we can do for all those hours in poorly designed seats.
Old 19 April 2011, 15:36
Confirmed User

I spent more time trying to ensure 'they' understood that any design sponsored pain I may have really didn't hit me until much closer to 20 years of service, rather than earlier in my career.

Overall, I didn't get the impression that the questions will result in any changes to the aircraft at all. Seemed more like a CYA action/predictor of future VA claims.
Old 19 April 2011, 18:58
Mask, Fins & Floaties

Agreed. Just because the seats "stroke" on impact, doesn't mean that they stroke your back. The H-60 hunch is still killing me.
Old 1 May 2011, 23:10

Has anyone sat in the 60M seats for long flights? Opinions? I'm used to sitting FWD in the CE A/L seats with the Oregon Aero cush.
Old 3 May 2011, 12:34
Been There Done That

Helicopter Back

Funny, they did the same thing about 30 years ago. It was determined then that the combination of vibration and the "slouch" that was required to properly operate the controls were direct causes of "Helicopter Back": as it was called then.
Political Correctness is defined as: A doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that is it is entirely possible to pick a turd up by "the clean end"
NSDQ SGDM
Old 4 May 2011, 02:29
Been There Done That

I have not yet sat in a UH-60M seat but I am willing to bet it isn't much better than the current seats.

I agree that the vibratory environment of helicopters is not conducive to long term back and neck health. I also think that the biggest thing not accounted for is the number of NVG hours flown and the amount of hours flown in full body armor. It's not a direct correlation between combat hours flown and hours flown with armor... The more weight you put on the body the more strain that is involved and this survey didn't take that into account at all.
Old 4 February 2014, 00:31
Been There Done That

The Mike seats are quite a bit better for long distances, except when the fwd/back adjustment cable is broken along with the vertical adjustment cable. Before you know it you're flying from KY to the Keys sitting on your knees because its more comfortable.
Old 4 October 2014, 10:38

Being a B-52 D model copilot, we flew 12 hour missions in an ejection seat from Guam to Vietnam and back 3 nights a week. It got old real quick.
I had 470 days TDY in SEA. I knew a gunner with 900 days TDY.
Old 20 July 2016, 20:05

I know this is bringing back an ancient thread, but was there ever any traction with this? I never went to sick-call when I should have back when I crewed Hawks, thus no documentation. Couldn't accept being pulled off flight status.
Old 21 July 2016, 10:03
Been There Done That

The study was used to leverage some procurement decisions but nothing else new that I've heard of has come from it.
Old 21 July 2016, 10:52
Mask, Fins & Floaties

It would be nice to see the study forwarded on to the VA Medical side.

Our new posting rules