Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 19 January 2012, 19:40
Confirmed User

Barrel Angle

Ive seen a lot of artillery shoots, spent some time on the ranges etc etc but I have never seen an elevation like this. What kind of range would this angle be used for? Having shot the .50cal and the MK19 as an indirect fire weaon I thinking they are trying to get over that mountain? It looks almost straight up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw91m...eature=related
Old 19 January 2012, 21:03
Been There Done That

Probably a close range shot over an obstacle; or a requirement for plunging fire into a hardened target. FO's or JTACs want to chime in here?
Old 19 January 2012, 21:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Probably a close range shot over an obstacle
Yep...likely dropping on close range target on the far side of a vertical obstacle.
Old 19 January 2012, 21:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Yep...likely dropping on close range target on the far side of a vertical obstacle.
Roger that, in defilade - stationary target also, time of flight will be relatively long.

Last edited by 24/7; 19 January 2012 at 21:53.
Old 20 January 2012, 00:26
Confirmed User

I would say in that clip the most likely scenario for the high angle shot would be range.

But there can be a variety of reasons to go high angle. ie weaponeering, tgt type/location and size of sheath(if firing battery or half battery).
Old 24 January 2012, 19:41
NCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
According to the guy who posted that (in the comments) the target was 5 miles away.

-Johan

You want to know why I train you to doctrine standards? Because I know your not going to use about 95% of it.
-Spartan 6
Old 24 January 2012, 20:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo82 View Post
According to the guy who posted that (in the comments) the target was 5 miles away.
That's close range.
Old 28 January 2012, 07:03
Make a desert and call it peace.

Trying to hit a reverse slope or otherwise protected target would be my bet. The next gen Excaliber's(guided shells) are supposed to be able to course correct enough to hit reverse slope stuff much more easily. Might even be able to do it with the current stuff, haven't followed it that much. S/F.....Ken M

Max range is achieved between 30 and 45 degrees, IIRC it's about 43 optimum due to drag effects. Might be different for arty where they can shoot up outside the bulk of the atmosphere to avoid drag
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 9 February 2012, 18:52
Marine

They shoot high angle quite a bit in that portion of the 'Stan due to the elevation of the surrounding terrain.

Hard to believe that Camp Blessing used to be a little A-camp with nothing but an ODA and a platoon of Marines.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 12 February 2012, 18:01
Confirmed User

So what altitude does a round like that get to fired at that angle?
Old 13 February 2012, 11:17
Marine

Depends on a couple of factors, including round and propellent. I don't have the trajectory charts handy and my artillery LNO just took off on leave. I'd say well over 10K AGL. IIRC, the elevation at Camp Blessing was over 3000', so your max ordinate is probably above 15K MSL. That's all just a SWAG without the charts, though.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 13 February 2012, 11:35
Not quite right...

That is an M777 155mm howitzer, and it's firing high angle with green bag propellent. Yes, a very short range engagement, 5 miles sounds about right. I don't have access to a Tabular Firing Table (TFT) but I'll hazard a guess that the shell would hit maximum ordinate between 17 and 20 thousand feet. White bag propellent would bump max ord up even higher. An 8" howitzer shooting high angle white bag can get over 30K.

The angle of fall is pretty close to vertical when you're shooting like this, and for that reason you can get around the terrain masking problems that arise when you try to shoot either direct-fire or low angle.

These guys are pretty quick, but I recently saw a video of a crew on another M777 fire three rounds in 22 seconds Now THAT's humpin'!
Old 13 May 2012, 16:23

Could be firing an Excalibur too, doubtful though.
Old 13 May 2012, 18:05
Not quite right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo82 View Post
Not sure I believe that.
Max range for an M777 M107 155mm HE is 15 miles.
He is shooting VERY high angle, with what looks like charge 3 or 4 Green Bag... that shell's not going to be going much more than about 2 miles, and will take almost a minute to get there.
Old 16 May 2012, 22:10
SOCNET T Shirt Model

Targets in defilade just on the other side of the ridgeline. You'd need the high angle to drop them just over the mountain ridge. Otherwise your impact is on your side of the ridge or the valley on the oposite side. Thanks to our brothers who perfected this kind of fight in Korea. Tough loading for the redlegs.

God put your feet facing forward and your eyes in the front of your head. He expects you to drive the fuck on.
Old 21 May 2012, 14:46
Make a desert and call it peace.

It's charge 2 using the MACS system propellant(2 green increments). Looks like M795 shells. That combo is supposed to get up to 12km at optimum firing angle. No idea about what it'll do at the angle in the vid. S/F....Ken M

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/am/.../V6N4Oct00.pdf
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 15 November 2013, 18:22
Mermaid Wrangler

mos13Foxtrot has the most accurate answer. The down side to shooting high angle (at least against us) is how quickly counterbattery/countermortar rader can track. You can also use high angle (as demonstrated at Ft. Sill all the time) for a single gun 2 round time on target. Shoot the high angle first then lay on the low angle data backing out time of flight. ....and to be precise....like ALL redlegs like to be. High Angle fire is defined as "the angle in which a change (increase) in quadrant elevation results in a decrease in range."

Last edited by gadget; 15 November 2013 at 18:31.

Our new posting rules