Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 30 March 2013, 01:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Big controversy over this in the PJ world as MEDEVAC/CASEVAC are NOT what the Pararescueman/Rescue helicopter squadron are trained, equipped and paid to do. They can, as you can see, do those things well, but remember, their bread and butter is, and always will be, CSAR! CSAR! CSAR! They are the ones to go into harms way. We do not want the SOCOM world getting the idea that MEDEVAC is what we are here for.

The difference for the average guy is: If an unarmed huey with a couple of med techs can to it, it is MEDEVAC. If the pucker factor is high and you are going to get shot at; that is CSAR. KJ
I disagree, respectfully, brother. We no longer are a CSAR entity. Personnel Recovery is the name of the game. We now do it all, quite regularly. To think otherwise, IMO, is short sighted and will hinder us in the between war period approaching.

The bottom line is that we do MEDEVAC and CASEVAC, as well as CSAR better than anyone out there, and if we don't sell this to the public, we shall suffer the same fate that the guys did post-Vietnam.
Old 30 March 2013, 10:08
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Big controversy over this in the PJ world as MEDEVAC/CASEVAC are NOT what the Pararescueman/Rescue helicopter squadron are trained, equipped and paid to do. They can, as you can see, do those things well, but remember, their bread and butter is, and always will be, CSAR! CSAR! CSAR! They are the ones to go into harms way. We do not want the SOCOM world getting the idea that MEDEVAC is what we are here for.

The difference for the average guy is: If an unarmed huey with a couple of med techs can to it, it is MEDEVAC. If the pucker factor is high and you are going to get shot at; that is CSAR. KJ
IIRC the MedEvac mission came from a Big Army request, not from SOCOM.
Old 30 March 2013, 10:49

Loving this show so far. I personally got to work with a few of the guys highlighted in the show and I am honored to have had the opportunity. I was in an Army unit providing force pro for our personnel recovery mission in Horn of Africa on ch-53s. They must have done 4 on 4 off, and then went to Astan for this mission. Great group of guys.
Old 30 March 2013, 11:24
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshock1 View Post
Here's a guy who has all the episodes in one place.

http://www.youtube.com/user/111emi1111
Thanks!
Old 30 March 2013, 13:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
We no longer are a CSAR entity. Personnel Recovery is the name of the game. We now do it all, quite regularly.
When hasnít Personnel Recovery been the name of the game?
Old 30 March 2013, 20:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
When hasnít Personnel Recovery been the name of the game?
See KJ's post above. My post was in response to his. IMO, CSAR is only a part of our overarching PR mission.
Old 31 March 2013, 17:52
Confirmed User

Watched the whole series. Fascinating as well as humbling. God bless these warriors.

I never could discern what came over the speakers just before an alert call. It sounded like "we roll" followed by something unintelligible. Please help me out. Info would help me appreciate the series even more.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31 March 2013, 18:24
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
Watched the whole series. Fascinating as well as humbling. God bless these warriors.

I never could discern what came over the speakers just before an alert call. It sounded like "we roll" followed by something unintelligible. Please help me out. Info would help me appreciate the series even more.

Thanks in advance.
"Leroy Jenkins". See page three of this thread. He's a video game character who charges into battle with little or no regard for the risks or consequences. 'Whatever it takes.' Warrior bad-ass attitude.
Old 31 March 2013, 18:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
"Leroy Jenkins". See page three of this thread. He's a video game character who charges into battle with little or no regard for the risks or consequences. 'Whatever it takes.' Warrior bad-ass attitude.
Thank you Sir. I "get it." Back to the lounge.
Old 2 April 2013, 07:08
Semper Fidelis

Just started watching the series. It is amazing. I remember all I wanted to do before leaving Afghanistan in 2010, was to hug one of these guys. A few buddies still alive because of them.

Last edited by TFS/S; 2 April 2013 at 07:08. Reason: Left out additional information.
Old 7 April 2013, 08:03
Authorized Personnel

Damn fellas. Just finished watching all 6 episodes on Youtube.

Many thanks to NatGeo for this. One of the most moving documentaries that I have seen. Watching that SF soldier kiss his brother on the forehead because he did not think that he would ever see him again brought tears to my eyes. And remembering back to those days when I was AD and deployed was so close to the video clips from the homefront that it was scary. The greatest thing that ever happened to me was having daughters, and watching the guy interact with his soon-to-be 2 yr. girl old brought back some beautiful memories of those long ago days.

Gents of the green footprints... I respected you before I ever watched this. I have even more respect for you now. Godspeed and stay safe.

Last edited by specat93; 7 April 2013 at 08:13. Reason: misspelling
Old 15 April 2013, 21:23
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Have only watched 3 eps so far, but so far I'm wondering if NatGeo only filmed during a very quiet time. Most of the show seems to be watching the guys when they're waiting for a mission, and then when there is a mission, they work as heli-borne Ambulance dudes.

The scene where they sat in a FOB for 2 hours whilst waiting for Big Army to clear a HLZ of possible (not probable) IED's also seemed to make me think that there was a lot of risk-mitigation that seemed a bit unrealistic to me.

This isn't a criticism - There's no doubt that they are dedicated and highly skilled personnel, but the series makes them seem a little...risk averse?
Old 15 April 2013, 21:50
Been There Done That

It is my understanding there were limits to what was video documented or if captured on video cleared to be used. I wasn't told anything more than this.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
This isn't a criticism - There's no doubt that they are dedicated and highly skilled personnel, but the series makes them seem a little...risk averse?
Rules from on high. We had guys fly into some hellacious firefights, and have the DFC's to prove it. As the war changed, so did the ROE's governing it. Add to that a healthy dose of reality TV manufactured drama, and you see the result.

Do not doubt, whatever the situation, they'll come for you.
Old 15 April 2013, 22:25
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
if captured on video cleared to be used.
That does make sense.
Old 16 April 2013, 20:00
Always look cool.

Quote:
Have only watched 3 eps so far, but so far I'm wondering if NatGeo only filmed during a very quiet time. Most of the show seems to be watching the guys when they're waiting for a mission, and then when there is a mission, they work as heli-borne Ambulance dudes.

The scene where they sat in a FOB for 2 hours whilst waiting for Big Army to clear a HLZ of possible (not probable) IED's also seemed to make me think that there was a lot of risk-mitigation that seemed a bit unrealistic to me.

You also have to keep in mind the likelihood that they only filmed events, equipment, and capabilities that weren't classified if it wasn't just the nature of that particular rotation. I'm willing to wager the former.

With respect to the big army clearing for IEDs, that's for the aircraft more than the welfare of the PJs for obvious reasons..

Last edited by OppressorsBeware175; 16 April 2013 at 20:02. Reason: Added note.
Old 17 April 2013, 10:10
Been There Done That

Rumor is they will be out here for another series
Old 17 April 2013, 10:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

As a former First Sgt in an STS, and having reviewed MANY submissions for decorations for CCTs and PJs, I can state as a FACT, that as a community, they are some of the most "willing" to accept risk (hell, some of them seemed to embrace it) when a fellow warrior needs them.

The hardest part in working their "Awards and Decs" was getting an honest narrative of their ops...

ME: Sir, you gotta include the words "Under enemy fire" in the submission, or the Desk Molesters are gonna kick it back!

CRO/STO: Top, we were under enemy fire EVERY DAY! Ops Normal, so I don't feel I should have to state that.

ME: Sir, nobody reviewing this submission has probably ever been YELLED at, let alone SHOT AT.

CRO/STO: So I guess it should read "Just did our damn job as well as we could... Under enemy fire"?

ME: Sir, your team saved four troops, did some un-f*cking believable medicine, in an airplane full of holes, at altitudes that no Rotor Head should be flying big expensive aircraft!

CRO/STO: Yeah, that shit was pretty sweet wasn't it?

J's may have been invented to rescue downed aircrews behind enemy lines; and some might think that them pulling "reglar" Medevac is like sending a racehorse to plow a field, but If my shit were ever in the wind again? Pedro would be my first choice... and there's not a PJ (that I've ever met) that would hesitate to roll...

Now the OWNERS of those REALLY EXPENSIVE helichoppers (not the DRIVERS mind you) ARE the risk averse types.

As THEY should be...

Just my two cents

HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 17 April 2013, 16:22
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmike View Post
CRO/STO: Yeah, that shit was pretty sweet wasn't it?
That personality-type does show its head in the series.

As stated, I don't doubt that they go into some shit-fights. My comment was that NatGeo, for whatever reason, doesn't portray the "danger" that those guys go into on a regular basis.

Wasn't a criticism of the guys doing the job. Not at all.
Old 17 April 2013, 22:53
Always look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmike View Post

Now the OWNERS of those REALLY EXPENSIVE helichoppers (not the DRIVERS mind you) ARE the risk averse types.

As THEY should be...

Just my two cents

HK
Less the cost, and more the consideration that you put other friendlies on the line to secure and recover the downed bird. I had an instructor pilot that said "be brave; be bold. But think about the ground guys who are putting their lives on the line pulling your raggedy ass out of the bird you balled up because you wanted to be a hero." That's the risk aversion piece...

Last edited by OppressorsBeware175; 17 April 2013 at 23:05. Reason: Fixed typo

Our new posting rules