Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 21 April 2013, 16:41

35M reclassing to 35L for a reserve PSYOP unit. have questions.

I have been active for 4 years as a 35M and just re-enlisted for a 35L slot in 7th PSYOP group in northern california. I have been trying to get into contact with the unit for about 4 days now and every number i find is out of service. I am just curious as to what it is going to be like for someone who is intel going into a PSYOP unit and if i am going to get properly utilized. Would like to know what this unit is like before i get there. right now i am set to ETS june 30th and take some terminal leave so i would get back to california a bit sooner than that. can anyone PM me any contact info on this unit or answer any of my questions themselves via PM. thank you. oh yeah, and i did do multiple searches over the last 4 days and read through all of the 10 pages of posts in this section and was unable to find anything of relevance.
Old 22 April 2013, 23:29

really? nobody?
Old 23 April 2013, 07:30
A/1/75

Didn't like 35M?

Charlie
Old 23 April 2013, 07:51
Swimming Upstream

I'll weigh in with an educated guess, as a reserve 35L, you will do little to nothing except for training exercises...unless you deploy. I have no idea about the unit you are going to.

http://www.army.mil/article/60852/Th...ge_of_command/

Have you tried contacting a unit member via AKO?
Old 23 April 2013, 08:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackValentine View Post
really? nobody?
Really? You're a nobody. Showing attitude in one of your first posts probably won't work out well for you.
Old 23 April 2013, 15:26
Secure The Victory!

Your Google skills need work - took me 2 minutes. The number is good.

http://www.usar.army.mil/ourstory/co.../Overview.aspx
Old 23 April 2013, 16:16
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
just re-enlisted for a 35L slot in 7th PSYOP group in northern california..... am going to get properly utilized.
This made me LOL, it's the CANG, you'll be making sure your accident avoidance is up to date along with your PHA.

Also, don't be afraid to capitalize words n' shit
Old 23 April 2013, 16:58
Secure The Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
This made me LOL, it's the CANG, you'll be making sure your accident avoidance is up to date along with your PHA.

Also, don't be afraid to capitalize words n' shit
Well, to be technical, 7th PSYOP is Army Reserve, not NG, if that means anything.
Old 23 April 2013, 20:05
Swimming Upstream

Friendly words of advice, since you are likely new in this field. If you want to succeed, you will have to develop research skill and be able to write with attention to detail and proper grammar. Add in a dash of situational awareness, social appropriateness and positive interpersonal skills.
Old 23 April 2013, 20:24
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
really? nobody?
Just saw this.

Seriously?

"No go" at this station.
Old 23 April 2013, 20:42
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Really? You're a nobody. Showing attitude in one of your first posts probably won't work out well for you.
In all fairness, it was his 3rd post
Old 23 April 2013, 21:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
In all fairness, it was his 3rd post
Indeed...nowhere to go but up from here...
Old 25 April 2013, 09:13
SOCNET Moderator

Yes, you will be properly utilized: for the needs of the Army and the Unit.

You want to be utilized only, or at least primarily, within the description of your MOS? Get MOSQ'd as a 37F, which is what PSYOP units are for and about. Support MOS's are going to do their MOS tasks, and a lot that is not in their MOS description.

If you are going to POG*, you are not likely going to do a whole lot that is in either MOS description, as Group is a Bde size Command and Staff organization. You want to be used more in line with what people think of when they think PSYOP? Go to a line unit.

The Lima slot in either unit is very limited in utilization, and is wide open to being used for "the needs of the Army and the Unit." Which is something the unit needs, but if you are going to get your panties in a wad about doing tasks outside of your MOS description, find another home. We all do tasks outside of our MOS description.

(*NOTE: For the smart asses and know nothings out there, POG is not the same as a POGUE. POG rhymes with dog)

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble

Last edited by TPD1280; 25 April 2013 at 09:23.
Old 25 April 2013, 19:22

hey thanks for all the replies. I didn't mean to come across as some one being disrespectful in my 1st post. I really didn't. I guess if i had inserted it as follows "Really (pause for effect and wait for echo that would be heard in a large empty room)? Nobody (pause for effect and wait for another echo that would be heard in large empty room)? I have not been in for my 20 like a lot of the members on here, but i have been active for over 4 years so i do know that i will be doing plenty of shit that is outside my job description. I was just curious as to how a Reserve component will work with being in an MOS that is not the main functionality of that unit.
Old 25 April 2013, 19:30

Oh sorry about that, to answer the question about not liking 35M.... Well, i have been active for 4 years, was in 1 unit for a year, another unit for 2, and i got a little bit of time in my new unit. out of that time i did my job in the first unit that was a year. Realistically it was probably 10 months of the year that i did my job. Also, there were no Mike slots around where im from for reserves so I figured going the Lima route would be the best option for career progression. and thanks for the phone number, i didnt have that one in my phone but the page is the same page that i got another number off of. I guess i should have called more than 6 numbers before asking for help on it. got it in check, will look more next time.
Old 27 April 2013, 10:41
SOCNET Moderator

You were doing fine right up til that last line. The only number you needed to call was the USACAPOC recruiter at Bragg.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 3 May 2013, 18:34
Cloud bursting...

You will be busy - there is always something going on in the PSYOP world.

It is not the typical reserve, I still like to believe that our standards are higher and as the old quote says "PSYOP is not the average one drill a month and 2 weeks AT in the summer"

You will be utilizied in one way or another either as a 35L or not... haha good luck!
Old 10 May 2013, 12:33

Well as a former member of 7th POG, much further down the food chain at a TCP I can tell you this. You job as a 35L will depend on you. If you find a way to make yourself useful in that capacity they will use you. If your useless in that capacity you will become a turret gunner or run paper work back and fourth. 7th is highly active, 7 years on active duty for a 8 year reserve contract. Be ready and willing to attend schools at a moments notice, be flexible and be fit and you will go far there. If not they will find a new home for you quickly.
Old 21 November 2014, 09:26

Don't forget to search for openings via the HRC site - if you haven't already. There are also some IMA positions that could apply. There is a spreadsheet containing direct contact numbers and the person actually attached to that number, but it's not obvious where to look. I had to call HRC and luckily found someone who knew. As mentioned earlier, most of this stuff is USAR - which is a whole other animal from the ARNG - promotions and otherwise. Good luck! Wonder when they are going to issue the Online Training Qualification Badge?
Old 6 January 2016, 11:39

Whether you continue to serve as a 35M or as a 35L, please improve your ability to communicate via the written word in the English language. It really is a critical skill if you want to continue being an intel wacker.

If you want to have greater opportunities to do your job or receive MOS training as a 35M/35L, you need to go the USAR route. The MIRC will have more funds available for you to receive that training, and if you wish to deploy as an individual augmentee (IA), you can do it without having to get a state's NG AG to sign-off on it.

Anyhow, considering this post is old and probably dead, use it for what it's worth if you're still reading it. Good luck.

Our new posting rules