Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > How Not to Post

Old 16 March 2015, 20:26
On the Extract Bird

MEPS DQ, not sat. Looking for help/ advice

For the purpose of this thread, my name is John Doe. 22 years old, 88 AFQT, eligible for BUD/S due to that score, and I WILL be a SEAL wether MEPS knows it or not right now. 9 months ago I began the process, grudgingly on the insistence of my father, to become a PJ in the Air Force. No details needed, but SEAL is the career I've always wanted and the reason I didn't follow through. But the point of this is that I was medically cleared through MEPS Montgomery, AL. After realizing my stupidity, I finally listed to my head and went to my local Navy recruiter and began the process. Today I stepped into the office to find out I was medically DQ'ed from service. Only relevant medical info is seizures at 4 years old (1996) and torn, not detached retina. Now before anyone says do my research, I have. According to the Navy's official site, History of and/or recurring seizures DQ you. I would accept that, but this was 18 years ago, absolutely no recurrence, nothing even similar or related whatsoever. Also stated on their website is that detached retinas result in a medical DQ, along with history of retinal issues ie. continual surgery, deteriorating vision, so on so forth, none of which apply. My vision has actually improved, one surgery, Navy doctors ( I am a military brat, hence my access to them ) have stated numerous times my retina is in fact stronger now due to the nature of my surgery ( tacked back with lasers ), which gives me a wall around my retina, making it stronger than the average person. Now I hope this isn't coming across as desperation, but to be honest I am infuriated. Accepted in one branch and not in another. Sounds like a case of someone not wanting the extra paperwork/waiver forms. If anyone has a similar story, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Also, if any higher ranking individuals are on this site, or anyone with any pull regarding this matter a letter or recommendation would be most appreciated. I will say this, I know myself better than anyone else. The Navy would be fortunate to have me, and would be making a huge error of judgement letting me slip out of their hands. That being said, the honor, pride, and acceptance from just a prestigious group of warriors, the Navy SEALs, is all I could ever wish for and hope to achieve in my life. This is my mission, and any help whatsoever, I am in your debt.

manufreak_46@hotmail.com if you need my personal contact info.
Old 16 March 2015, 20:57
Not quite right...

Read through this document. It is the bible for DoD enlistment, spelling out what is a DQ and what isn't.

Medical Standards for Enlistment in the Military 13 SEP 11.pdf

Hope it helps, and good luck
Old 16 March 2015, 21:03
On the Extract Bird

Just flipped to my section, and the wording states "any history of abnormality of retina. Now I understand I have had that, but I've read of people acquiring waivers for such a matter. Any help on the best way to receive that? I am currently writing letters to my Congressman as well as Senator, I understand they have the power to veto a MEPS decision. I also understand letters from high ranking former and current service members may swing the issue in my favor. I appreciate the help B2/75, but I hope you understand that I'm not accepting this decision under the circumstances.
Old 16 March 2015, 21:12
team guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodfory View Post
if any higher ranking individuals are on this site, or anyone with any pull regarding this matter a letter or recommendation would be most appreciated.
Why should a team guy (or anyone in NSW for that matter) stick their neck out for you? Please elaborate as to what makes you so special that you warrant a letter of recommendation from someone who hasn't even met you, much less know anything about you?

Quote:
The Navy would be fortunate to have me, and would be making a huge error of judgement letting me slip out of their hands.
How so? Because we don't have enough high quality candidates fighting to join our ranks as it is? Please tell us, what makes you so special?
Old 16 March 2015, 21:14
Not quite right...

Threads merged. Please be more careful and don't post multiple threads of the same dope.

Thank you
Old 16 March 2015, 21:26
Not quite right...

Rodfory, DO NOT POST AGAIN until you have followed the instructions in your registration email, and have posted your introduction in the appropriate place.
Old 16 March 2015, 22:02
On the Extract Bird

Taken care of I believe B 2/75, thanks again.
Will do B 2/75, was just anxious for a response. Crusader, to answer your question. I' understand I'm asking a lot as far as someone sticking their neck outt. I'll answer your question with another first: Why should an individual be rejected the opportunity to serve their country when the parameters in my case is unjust? From the looks of things I cannot do this alone unless I falsify my medical history, and apart from ramifications that could result, I am not a liar and never have been. As far as elaborating, there is only so much I can do without meeting me, wether that be a phone call or in person. I could say that I'm driven, that I don't quit. The fact that I understand pain and tiredness do not scare me, that I can control said tiredness with the strongest part of my body, my brain. But I am of the opinion that everyone the wishes to become a SEAL, ( not the ones out for the glory, the ones who want the trident to wear for the sake of walking into a bar or a public area for the looks and attention that would follow) will say these things. All of that is true for me, but that is not the point I am trying to make. I am most certainly not a quitter, failure is only an option in my eyes. In the case of my eye injury, I was told contact sport would never be an option again. That didn't stop me, I used that as motivation. Years later I was in Spain playing for a professional team. This is not to brag, merely an example of how quitting something simply isn't an option for me. And this is not to brag. I believe am the person others can depend on, be it in the line of duty or some one simply needing a helping hand. All of my mature life, say 16 onwards, I have out others before me. Why? Because the personal gratification of that more than justifies any thing else. Not the thank you, not expecting anything in return. I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I would think that translates well working with a group of extraordinary men around me. Working towards a goal. Hard work and dedication to the task at hand has been impressed on me all my life from my father, a retired Chief, take that for what you will. Nothing is impossible if you really want it, if that is what your heart truly desires. That desire for me is the chance to prove myself to those men in Coranado that I am of the material necessary. Nothing else matters to me. I wouldn't be here now if that wasn't the case. Now I know this more than likely isn't enough to merit anything yet, I wouldn't expect two posts to do more than open this conversation. Before I answer your second question, let me impress I'm not trying to demean anyone wanting the same goal as me, I am sure they are highly motivated individuals and of high quality, there was no offense intended. But to answer your question, yet again here is another one. Have you, or anyone, ever realized you were meant for something more than a 9-5 job, happily living your life, with no concerns or real problems? I have. I want the challenge Crusader. I want to get my ass kicked, I want to be pushed to my absolute limit. I want to think just how much this PT, this evolution, this training sucks, and think just how much worse I can make it for myself. Why? Because I have loved that in everything difficult I've ever accomplished. I thrive on it...I can't explain, but every instance that has happen, something clicks in my head and off I go with as much enthusiasm as when I started. Can't sail? 6 months later I became a sailing instructor on base ( my current job ). Not exactly impressive you might think, but having 12 guys in separate boats and being tasked with teaching them has it's merits I believe. Finally, I am a leader, born and bred. To explain that, I'm not sure how to, I believe that takes meeting me to see that. But more importantly, I'm not so hardheaded that I can't see when I'm wrong and let another take charge of the situation. Does that answer any of your questions? I'm trying to explain as best I can, words can only do so much, it's the actions that matter.
Old 16 March 2015, 23:37
Not quite right...

We are now in the days of force reduction... they're not softening entry requirements, but rather reinforcing them.

The medical requirements are *sometimes* waiverable. Look at it as if you were an actuary in an insurance company.... some risks you simply will not accept, while others you may cover given good justification. If the risk is on your "no negotiation" list, then that's it.

We see frequent instances of kids who've been ADD / ADHD meds after the age of 12. Permanent disqual, no waiver allowed.

In your case:

n. Any seizure occurring beyond the 6th birthday, unless the applicant has been free of seizures for a period of 5 years while taking no medication for seizure control, and has a normal sleep-deprived electroencephalogram and normal neurology evaluation while taking no medications for seizure control.

You might be able to get a waiver here, if your history is truly at age 4.

d. Retina
(1) Current or history of any abnormality of the retina (361.00-362.89, 363.14-363.22), choroid (363.00-363.9) or vitreous (379.2x).

Here you may have a real problem.

During WWII there are many, many instances of young men who wanted to do their part, but who were rated 4F by their local draft board's medical personnel. Some resorted to drastic, unwarranted action as a result. In your case it really doesn't matter how much you want it... not trying to be harsh, but the tale of the medic's determination is the final straw, not what is in your heart and head to do. We've seen guys willing to run over bulldozers to be a member of a SOF unit, but who, for various reasons, failed to make the cut. it isn't a slight on you if the reason is medical. Quitting is another thing, but not being allowed into the starting gate from the beginning is quite another, and is no reason to rail at the system.

But the bottom line is this: if you're DQ, that's it. You've tried your best to do your part, and you've to take it on your feet. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Again, good luck
Old 16 March 2015, 23:44
On the Extract Bird

That is my medical history. And I understand accepting a loss as it comes. But what's bugging me is the fact that I was accepted while going through AF recruiting process. Isn't the standards the same for all branches? That's part of the reason I wish to fight it. Hope you don't think I'm just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn.
Old 16 March 2015, 23:47
Not quite right...

What we think here doesn't matter. We can offer good advice, and in this case the advice has nothing to do with NSW, but rather with standards of enlistment, which are YES, supposed to be the same across the board. Doctors differ from MEPS to MEPS, though.
Old 16 March 2015, 23:54
On the Extract Bird

Very well, well in that case I suppose there is nothing left for me to do except make sure my PST score is damn near perfect, see if there are any waivers I can receive along with any letters ( which I understand may take time, from my discussion above ) and not quit until every stone is turned over. Would you mind if this thread was left open in case the above was offered or advice on that matter? I would appreciate it.
Old 17 March 2015, 06:22
Confirmed User

I was a recruiter at one point in my career although not Navy. I can tell you just about everything has a waiver process. This circumstance would be a bureau of medicine wavier, BU Med for short and would take 6 months or so to be approved or denied.

My suggestion go to another recruiting office and speak with another Navy recruiter. Tell the recruiter what you want to do and express to them you will do all the work needed for the waiver process to gather the docks. The waiver package is not really all that hard as you do most of the work gathering documentation.

Generally when a recruiter puts one in they submit the waiver and forget about it but hoping somewhere down the road it comes back approved. There is no timeline guidance on it but like I said 6 months is the minimum. Good luck it is really all on you to make it happen.
Old 17 March 2015, 10:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Look at it as if you were an actuary in an insurance company.... some risks you simply will not accept, while others you may cover given good justification. If the risk is on your "no negotiation" list, then that's it.
The rest of your post is outstanding, Ranger, good advice to this young man. But I have a quibble with the above. In the world of life and health insurance, actuaries analyze risks and rewards (i.e. pricing) statistically; they're a vitally important staff function, in military terms. It is underwriters who make the cover/don't cover function. (Junior underwriters, off a list of strict standards, which are set by senior underwriters, who are listening hard to their actuaries if they want their firm to make money).

Yes, I wasted some years between reserve drills in the health reinsurance racket....
Old 17 March 2015, 10:53
Creepy ass cracka

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10390521_381027888738459_4658978342274605421_n.jpg (6.2 KB, 1013 views)
Old 17 March 2015, 11:16
Been There Done That

If your desire is to serve, but you can't join the Navy but can join the AF, path seems clear to me. It's not like PJs are second string.

I was "supposed" to be running nuclear reactors for the Navy. Apparently fate had other plans, and it turned out for the best.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 17 March 2015, 11:36
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2bob View Post
If your desire is to serve, but you can't join the Navy but can join the AF, path seems clear to me. It's not like PJs are second string.

Phhht!*snort.
Old 17 March 2015, 14:30
Administrator

Roderick,

What have you been doing since high school graduation?

The reason I am asking is because any young man like you with a career Navy dad that is as driven as you obviously are....usually doesn't take four years to get around to enlisting.

Please keep your answer to four lines or less.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 17 March 2015, 15:23
On the Extract Bird

Thank you all for the advice, top notch stuff. 6 months is nothing in the long run, I'll get on that ASAP. And respectfully, there is a reason I didn't follow through with the AF and that I'm on the path I'm on now. Dark Helmet, I'll keep this as concise as possible. After high school I passed on scholarships and pursued a soccer career in Spain. Three years later I became disillusioned with it....teammates not giving their all, preceding to party and the like. I moved back to Pensacola and took a year of college, full time job, all that. After a year took a break from college to focus on working and the military, as I felt I was of the right level maturity wise. I have not been sitting idly around.
Old 17 March 2015, 15:29
On the Extract Bird

Teammates preferring to party*. Sorry, I can't edit my posts.
Old 17 March 2015, 15:35
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
After high school I passed on scholarships.
Obviously not academic scholarships.

Our new posting rules